1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'49 F1 Family Project

Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
'49 F1 Family Project

After much searching and researching we finally found our new family project. It was near Redding, CA and apparently has been a central California truck for many decades and has been parked in a garage on blocks since 1992. Originally a 6 cylinder, it now has a Merc Flathead V8 that turns over but supposedly needed a valve job, which is why it was parked years ago. My wife and I drove down to pick it up yesterday and I was utterly amazed at the lack of rust. The steel bed floor, cab floor, cab corners, door bottoms, fenders and everything else is COMPLETELY rust free! This morning I got her all cleaned out and parked in the garage to keep her out of the weather forever. The trim and broken windows are all in the bed. Our game plan is to get her running and stopping so we can do some summer cruises next year. We are on a very tight budget, so appearance is not a concern right now. If I can get the Flathead running I will leave it, otherwise I will swap it for a running 6 or 8. I found the frame VIN, but the glove box and firewall tags are long gone. Fortunately the title matches the frame. So far I haven't been able to find the firewall stampings that tell assembly plant, etc.

Since I have been viewing the Fat Fender forum for a few years I have gleaned tons of good info from the rest of you. However, there are a few questions I have.
  • What is the lever on the floor in front of the driver side of the seat? It looks like a later model fuel tank selector.
  • How do you open the cowl vent? I'm assuming there's a cable somewhere.
  • Will a C6 fit without modding the cab floor? I have a line on a 302 with a C6 that I could get a good deal on, but if a C4 will fit better I will do that.
  • Is there a difference in F1 tailgates between years? Our truck came with 2, plus we picked up a 3rd for $25. They all look the same to me.
I appreciate your help and I am sure I will have many more questions as we go. Here's some pics:

Old 10-07-2011, 05:02 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool truck, Looks like in great condition, Cant really help with your questions but I am sure someone will shortly. Great find, Have fun!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:20 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Congratulations on your find. It looks real clean.

I don't know what that little lever is for - neither of my trucks have one...

Old 10-07-2011, 05:29 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks identical to a fuel selector switch in an old jeep - for running two fuel tanks. Did you look to see if there was a 2nd tank or plumbing for an in bed tank or anything? I have never seen a "stock" truck with it, so I would bet it was an add on.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by brain75
Looks identical to a fuel selector switch in an old jeep - for running two fuel tanks. Did you look to see if there was a 2nd tank or plumbing for an in bed tank or anything? I have never seen a "stock" truck with it, so I would bet it was an add on.
I haven't looked yet, but I think you are right.

Oh, I also found the lever to open the cowl vent! Woo-Hoo!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:36 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Is there another filler tube poking out or hiding somewhere? I think the panel truck gas tank normally mounts under the driver's side...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...rame-info.html

Old 10-07-2011, 05:46 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by badger_hound
Is there another filler tube poking out or hiding somewhere? I think the panel truck gas tanks normally mount under the driver's side...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...rame-info.html
It could be. I'll have to crawl under and see.

Here's a pic of my wifey in the monkey face.

And myself:

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's one heck of a start
If they were all that nice no one would be here

Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
What is the lever on the floor in front of the driver side of the seat? It looks like a later model fuel tank selector.
  • How do you open the cowl vent? I'm assuming there's a cable somewhere.
  • Will a C6 fit without modding the cab floor? I have a line on a 302 with a C6 that I could get a good deal on, but if a C4 will fit better I will do that.
  • Is there a difference in F1 tailgates between years? Our truck came with 2, plus we picked up a 3rd for $25. They all look the same to me.c
The lever on the floor is not stock. Look for a second fuel tank or plumbing for one like suggested. Handle underneath/behind the instrument panel will open the cowl when you push it forward (but you already found it). Can't help you with the C6. Yes, there is a slightly difference between 48-50 and 51-52 tailgates. 48-50 tailgates had the chain latch bracket inside the top rail. 51-52 had them below the rail.

This is a 48-50 F1 tailgate. Note the chain latch position in the top rail.

This is a 51-52 tailgate. Note the chain latch positioned below the top rail.

You have a fine looking start. If you're in need of missing parts, let me know. I have a ton of parts to get rid of.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
The lever on the floor is not stock. Look for a second fuel tank or plumbing for one like suggested. Handle underneath/behind the instrument panel will open the cowl when you push it forward (but you already found it). Can't help you with the C6. Yes, there is a slightly difference between 48-50 and 51-52 tailgates. 48-50 tailgates had the chain latch bracket inside the top rail. 51-52 had them below the rail.

You have a fine looking start. If you're in need of missing parts, let me know. I have a ton of parts to get rid of.
Thanks for the tailgate info. Now I know we have 3 48-50 tailgates. I crawled underneath and found that the valve has cut fuel lines underneath, but I don't see that it hooked into the tank to fuel pump line.

I will be taking stock of our extra parts and missing parts, so I may check to see what you have.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:55 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Wink

If you need any parts numbers, post -up your requests,and NumberDummy will surely chime in.He's helpful that way.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Alas, I think I can actually answer a question for someone! VERY sweet ride btw! looks to be in great condition. I bought my 49 F-1 just about a year ago equiped with a 302 and C6 trans. It does fit without and alterations to the cab. the bell housing however on mine was dang near touching the center trans cover, which does fit with the C6 trans, just need to cut a new hole for the shifter. On mine there was plenty of room between the waterpump and the radiator so I'm not sure why they put it sitting so far back unless it was a center of gravity thing. Beats me.... Mine had an electic fan on the front of the radiator, again leaving plenty of room between the front of the engine and the radiator. It was all taken apart when I bought it so the first thing I did was put it back together to make sure it ran, then pulled the engine and trans in one piece and on craigslist it went. BTW, when I bought it it was advertised as a 351W, I soon found out it was a 302 but didn't matter too much since I was selling it. I now have a sweet 1950 8BA with a 3 spd. trans waiting for a transplant. Can't wait to get that baby in there! I have never seen that lever on the floor either, I've had a 48 F-1 with a flattie 6 as well, no wierd lever on the floor. Love your "new" truck, have a blast with it!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 PM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Oh yeah.... love the 3 "bumper srickers" ya got on your posting page.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 49fordF-1
Alas, I think I can actually answer a question for someone! VERY sweet ride btw! looks to be in great condition. I bought my 49 F-1 just about a year ago equiped with a 302 and C6 trans. It does fit without and alterations to the cab. the bell housing however on mine was dang near touching the center trans cover, which does fit with the C6 trans, just need to cut a new hole for the shifter....

I now have a sweet 1950 8BA with a 3 spd. trans waiting for a transplant. Can't wait to get that baby in there! I have never seen that lever on the floor either, I've had a 48 F-1 with a flattie 6 as well, no wierd lever on the floor. Love your "new" truck, have a blast with it!
Thanks so much for the info. Right now I am leaning toward selling the Merc and going with a 302/Auto just because I may be able to do it for little or no cash and I grew up on 289/302's. The auto would just make cruizin and parades easier.

By the way, does anyone know if the leaf springs would interchange from a '52 F1 to my '49? I found a broken leaf up front, but I have a line on all running gear and suspension from a '52.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 PM
49fordF-1
Junior User
The heart of my 49 "Bessie"....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '49 F1 Family Project