1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'49 F1 Family Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I got the front of the frame wire wheeled, primed and painted so it is starting to look good. I am thinking about pulling the motor mount brackets, which means cutting or drilling about 14 rivets.

I also got the cab all sanded down and ready for some temporary satin black. Temporary probably being for about 10-15 years.

Talk about a pain, just the top of the cab took almost 2 hours! That broom-painted white house paint is thick stuff!

I am hoping to get out there today and get the satin black sprayed on the cab. Then I have to clean out the garage because I got a nice thick layer of red dust on everything from all the sanding.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 PM
tractormanbill
tractorman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year model is this again?
Bill

Old 10-21-2011, 04:31 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by tractormanbill
What year model is this again?
Bill
It's a '49 F1.

I got the cab done with the satin black. I still have to do the passenger door, but at least the part I see the most is all one color.

It looks much better in the pics than in person because EVERY flaw, chip and sander mark shows through.

I just have to keep reminding myself that the goal is a running, driving truck that is all one color. After that I can worry about making her pretty.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Just thought I would share a pic of my "new" front tires. I traded a CD player for a pair of 225/60R15's for the front of our truck. They are on 15X8 wheels.

I need to find some smaller center caps and some lug nuts, but the short/fat tires look great on the truck and give it a nice stance.

So can anyone tell me if you have to install longer studs to run aluminum wheels? The fronts are okay, but the rear lug nuts only grab about 2 threads on the studs. I am thinking I need to put in some longer wheel studs unless someone has a better idea.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
225/60R16's for the front of our truck. They are on 15X8 wheels.
UHHH...what? double check the math my friend!

Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
UHHH...what? double check the math my friend!
Fixed! Thanks.

It should look really good when I get my rear tires/wheels next month. Same wheel style in 15X10 with 275/60R15 tires (I think, I haven't seen them in person).

Old 10-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool deal man!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:02 AM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Looking good!! Don't you just love these full scale model kits we just love to play with!? I'm working on my 49 as well, bout time I get some pics on here too.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by 49fordF-1
Looking good!! Don't you just love these full scale model kits we just love to play with!?
So true. You know what they say about men and boys and the price of our toys.

Every time I do or say something that makes my wife shake her head I just tell her, "Hey, I'm twelve!".

Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 AM
49fordF-1
Junior User
Too funny!! My wife still doesn't understand why I had to completely take my truck apart and restore the whole chassis when it just goes back under the truck. I think I'll use your "I'm twelve" line.....

Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Well today I ground and punched the rivets to remove the flathead mount crossmembers. Then I used an old wood chisel to scrape off all the undercoating. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I am glad it was on there for the last 62 years because it kept my frame looking good.

Here is what it looked like before.

Here it is with a few coats of Krylon Semi-flat black (still wet in the pic).

Next will be to swap the front axle from my donor '52 that has new brakes. I am still working on finding mounts for the later OHV 6 cylinder from the '52.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I knew I should have cut off the front motor mounts from the junk 52 frame I had before I had the scrap man take it away a few months ago. Murphy's law at its finest.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I used an air chisel to cut the rivets out of what was left of the flathead mounts on my 50. I feel your pain there. The PO just used a torch to cut them off near the frame and that crossmember. It drove me crazy before I finally removed the cut ends. Also, I just finished removing SIX layers of paint from the cab of my 50. And I have driven myself crazy sandblasting and sanding with an air sander trying to get all those spots of paint completely off. You are indeed right, that primer will show you what you missed. Even the spots that felt smooth beforehand, it will just pull them up. Do you plan on lifting that cab and doing those frame rails or just getting what you can?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 PM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
Your front part of your frame looks good, and the Satin black sure lays nice on the body. COOOOOL!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:24 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Doc
Do you plan on lifting that cab and doing those frame rails or just getting what you can?
The rest of the frame will have to wait. Our plan is to get it driving by next summer so our list is:
  • clean and paint the front of the frame while the front clip is off (DONE)
  • swap front axles (current has a broken leaf spring and donor has new brakes).
  • rebuild or replace master cylinder and get the brakes working
  • install the engine and get it running
  • reinstall the front clip
  • drive it until next winter
Next year I will pull the bed and clean and paint the frame and possibly flip the axle over springs to drop the rear ride height.
The year after I will pull the cab and do the frame under it.
Eventually we'll put in a V8 (289,302, 351) with automatic and do the body work, but this is at least a 10 year project so just getting it running is our biggest goal.

Quick Reply: '49 F1 Family Project