6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

CC SB 50 gal tank question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:35 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
CC SB 50 gal tank question

Hi all!

I have the transfer flow 50 gal midship tank for my crew cab short box. I have had it on there for about a year. I now kinda wish I had see Epic's Titan video about a month sooner! I am not trying to bash Transfer Flow but here is what I have noticed, maybe it will help someone make a more informed decision than I did.

I have noticed that when my miles (kM) to empty shows 0 and the gauge is just touching the red I can only put 43 gal in the tank. When I asked Transfer Flow about this they said "50 gal is the rated capacity, NOT THE USEABLE CAPACITY." ????? Why would I haul around 7 gal of fuel I can't use? That is 14%. I know there has to be some safety factor but 14% seems a bit much to me.

So here is my question: How much fuel can you get in your Titan tanks with 0 mile to empty and gauge just on red?

I think if it is a bit more reasonable I will take my lumps and order the Titan.

A couple of other things to note for people trying to decide on which one:

1. Here at least the Transfer flow is about $400.00 less. Not why I bought it, I justs didn't know about the Titan.

2. The Transfer flow is steel and the Titan is plastic (like the stock one). It didn't bother me at the time but with the contaminated fuel issues I have seen maybe it would be better to have a plastic one.

3. The Transfer Flow tank hangs down 2.5" lower than stock. The Titan is 1" lower than stock. Didn't bother me when I had running boards on, but now with the AMP's it sticks out like a sore thumb as you can see in this pic!

Thanks guys, and FYI, I just figured out that you can give people reputation (I am a bit slow in case you have not yet noticed) so there are a lot of you I owe reputation to (sorry)

Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a nice looking truck. If you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't notice the tank as being lower than it should.

I am currently trying to figure out which tank to purchase. I will be following this thread closely as people respond to your question. Transferflow's site is now showing the 50 gal tank for these trucks as aluminum. I was thinking that this could be stronger than the plastic tank from Titan, but completely confused at this point. I am also concerned about having 7 gallons of capacity as non-useable. They should post that on the site for this tank, that is fairly deceiving in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:18 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by dschuffert
I am also concerned about have 7 gallons of capacity as non-useable. They should post that on the site for this tank, that is fairly deceiving in my opinion.

Thanks for the compliment!!

I agree 100%. But TF and I do have a different opinion about what is and isn't usable. They will not tell me how much is not usable but said they did a test by putting a pump on the stock sending unit and sucking fuel from the tank. They began to suck air when there was 3/4" fuel in the tank. They say this should be a bit less than 4 gal. But this is also a level stationary tank. So how much in the real world?? That is what I want to find out but I do not want to run out of fuel to do it!!

My (other) question is why not make the tank 1" shorter and call it a 45 gal tank? Then I would know I was getting a 45 gal tank (or 43).

I just can't seem to accept the fact that I am carrying around 5 - 7 gal of fuel I can't use! That's why I need to know if the Titan is the same or not!

If not I know where you can get a TF tank real cheap.

Mine is definately steel.

Thanks

Old 10-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought,but would not the aluminum tank be more prone for condensation vs a plastic tank.