Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

number 8 injector has different part number

Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
rockinxj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
number 8 injector has different part number

I was looking at prices for 99-03 injectors and noticed several companies have a part number for 1-7 cylinders and one for number 8.
What is that all about and what happens if you put a 1-7 in the 8 hole? I ask because I replaced number 8 a week ago and now my truck is pushing oil into the fuel rail. I plan to pull them all for calibration and cleaning. replace as needed and go back in with new o-rings. I will ask the techs at the injector shop too.
Just wondering if anyone here had heard of this before.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:24 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the oil in fuel sounds like the Injector Orings.

Number 8 had a TSB for the noise being a dead headed fuel system, they installed an AE code injector in #8 which is also called a long lead injectors as it is mechanically tuned to deliver a longer lead time to allow for less cackle. Technically you can run either, I run AD's which are 1-7's. But I also have a Fuel Rail Crossover to eliminate the dead head issues.

Here is a great place to get some injector's if you are in the market, Clay has New Alliants as well if that's what you are into.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Diesel fuel injectors | Ford Powerstroke fuel injectors | 7.3L Fuel Injector - Full Force Diesel / Casserly

If you wanted to test them

Riffraff Diesel: HEUI Flow Testing

Then even some of that can be recouped if you go with injectors there too.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 PM
rockinxj
New User
Thanks for that info. I am new to powerstroke diagnosis and repair. I have owned 3 before this one but this one is my "new toy" so I'm doing the repairs and upgrades myself.
Did you build your own crossover or just pick one up from a vendor?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
I did mine myself, using materials and the idea very similar to Clay's offering, which I believe was Kwikordead's original setup, but if I needed another one, no hesitation getting Clay's Frx, I think it's cheaper than the time and money I spent building mine.

Riffraff Diesel: Fuel Rail Crossover™

Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Alan,
Are you sure the AE is mechanically different inside? I always assumed just the solenoid was different and "long lead" referred to a delay built into the solenoid so the SOI was a tiny bit later than called for.

I've taken apart AD and AE side by side and they looked identical inside....but I didn't measure the parts with a micrometer so perhaps there are microscopic differences?

Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM
ballbandit
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
it is the solonoid that is different.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
I shouldn't have used that wording mechanically, I suppose, thanks for the correction.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD
I did mine myself, using materials and the idea very similar to Clay's offering, which I believe was Kwikordead's original setup, but if I needed another one, no hesitation getting Clay's Frx, I think it's cheaper than the time and money I spent building mine.

Riffraff Diesel: Fuel Rail Crossover™
I'd rather use the Strictly Diesel unit which is nicer and has a fuel pressure regulator instead of springs. That or Diesel Innovations.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

I shouldn't have used that wording mechanically, I suppose, thanks for the correction.
No biggie.
I was just wondering because I have always wondered myself. I have looked around and never found a definitive answer. I was sorta hoping that you might know of a link to an article that talks about the AE with more detail.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Number 8 had a TSB for the noise being a dead headed fuel system, they installed an AE code injector in #8 which is also called a long lead injectors as it is mechanically tuned to deliver a longer lead time to allow for less cackle. ...
Alan
I thought I'd follow up on this conversation. You are correct. The AE injector is mechanically different (according to Jim at Rosewood). I asked him and he said the AE has a slightly shorter intensifier piston which causes the injector to begin it's prime shot a tiny bit sooner than an AD injector would. He said it's such a small difference that he has his doubts that it solves any issues at all but Ford thought it was worthwhile so that's why they did it.

I believe machining down the intensifier piston is one of the ways these injectors can be modified to increase the amount of fuel they provide. So, if the AE has a slightly shorter intensifier piston, then it also might deliver slightly more fuel (although the difference would be very very small).

I'll see if I can find some more info.

Last edited by Shake-N-Bake; 11-04-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Salts
Senior User
As for the oil in fuel sounds like the Injector Orings.

Number 8 had a TSB for the noise being a dead headed fuel system, they installed an AE code injector in #8 which is also called a long lead injectors as it is mechanically tuned to deliver a longer lead time to allow for less cackle. Technically you can run either, I run AD's which are 1-7's. But I also have a Fuel Rail Crossover to eliminate the dead head issues.

Here is a great place to get some injector's if you are in the market, Clay has New Alliants as well if that's what you are into.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Diesel fuel injectors | Ford Powerstroke fuel injectors | 7.3L Fuel Injector - Full Force Diesel / Casserly
If you wanted to test them

Riffraff Diesel: HEUI Flow Testing

Then even some of that can be recouped if you go with injectors there too.

is this true for the 97's as well? and if I run a standard injector will it hurt the motor at all? or will i need to run the crossover in order to run the standard injector?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No the OBS pickups have a different fuel feed system and never had the cackle problem. The LL injectors didn't come about until about 2001.