Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
New User

rockinxj is starting off with a positive reputation.
number 8 injector has different part number

I was looking at prices for 99-03 injectors and noticed several companies have a part number for 1-7 cylinders and one for number 8.
What is that all about and what happens if you put a 1-7 in the 8 hole? I ask because I replaced number 8 a week ago and now my truck is pushing oil into the fuel rail. I plan to pull them all for calibration and cleaning. replace as needed and go back in with new o-rings. I will ask the techs at the injector shop too.
Just wondering if anyone here had heard of this before.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
As for the oil in fuel sounds like the Injector Orings.

Number 8 had a TSB for the noise being a dead headed fuel system, they installed an AE code injector in #8 which is also called a long lead injectors as it is mechanically tuned to deliver a longer lead time to allow for less cackle. Technically you can run either, I run AD's which are 1-7's. But I also have a Fuel Rail Crossover to eliminate the dead head issues.

Here is a great place to get some injector's if you are in the market, Clay has New Alliants as well if that's what you are into.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Diesel fuel injectors | Ford Powerstroke fuel injectors | 7.3L Fuel Injector - Full Force Diesel / Casserly

If you wanted to test them

Riffraff Diesel: HEUI Flow Testing

Then even some of that can be recouped if you go with injectors there too.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 10-06-2011, 10:37 PM
New User

rockinxj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for that info. I am new to powerstroke diagnosis and repair. I have owned 3 before this one but this one is my "new toy" so I'm doing the repairs and upgrades myself.
Did you build your own crossover or just pick one up from a vendor?
Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
I did mine myself, using materials and the idea very similar to Clay's offering, which I believe was Kwikordead's original setup, but if I needed another one, no hesitation getting Clay's Frx, I think it's cheaper than the time and money I spent building mine.

Riffraff Diesel: Fuel Rail Crossover™

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...297,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 10-07-2011, 09:35 AM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Alan,
Are you sure the AE is mechanically different inside? I always assumed just the solenoid was different and "long lead" referred to a delay built into the solenoid so the SOI was a tiny bit later than called for.

I've taken apart AD and AE side by side and they looked identical inside....but I didn't measure the parts with a micrometer so perhaps there are microscopic differences?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Senior User

ballbandit is starting off with a positive reputation.
it is the solonoid that is different.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Post Fiend

I shouldn't have used that wording mechanically, I suppose, thanks for the correction.

Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Post Fiend

aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD View Post
I did mine myself, using materials and the idea very similar to Clay's offering, which I believe was Kwikordead's original setup, but if I needed another one, no hesitation getting Clay's Frx, I think it's cheaper than the time and money I spent building mine.

Riffraff Diesel: Fuel Rail Crossover™
I'd rather use the Strictly Diesel unit which is nicer and has a fuel pressure regulator instead of springs. That or Diesel Innovations.
01 Excursion. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BDP Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear. 203* thermostat and billet housing
Old 10-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
I shouldn't have used that wording mechanically, I suppose, thanks for the correction.
No biggie.
I was just wondering because I have always wondered myself. I have looked around and never found a definitive answer. I was sorta hoping that you might know of a link to an article that talks about the AE with more detail.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Number 8 had a TSB for the noise being a dead headed fuel system, they installed an AE code injector in #8 which is also called a long lead injectors as it is mechanically tuned to deliver a longer lead time to allow for less cackle. ...
Alan
I thought I'd follow up on this conversation. You are correct. The AE injector is mechanically different (according to Jim at Rosewood). I asked him and he said the AE has a slightly shorter intensifier piston which causes the injector to begin it's prime shot a tiny bit sooner than an AD injector would. He said it's such a small difference that he has his doubts that it solves any issues at all but Ford thought it was worthwhile so that's why they did it.

I believe machining down the intensifier piston is one of the ways these injectors can be modified to increase the amount of fuel they provide. So, if the AE has a slightly shorter intensifier piston, then it also might deliver slightly more fuel (although the difference would be very very small).

I'll see if I can find some more info.

Last edited by Shake-N-Bake; 11-04-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Senior User

Salts is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
As for the oil in fuel sounds like the Injector Orings.

Number 8 had a TSB for the noise being a dead headed fuel system, they installed an AE code injector in #8 which is also called a long lead injectors as it is mechanically tuned to deliver a longer lead time to allow for less cackle. Technically you can run either, I run AD's which are 1-7's. But I also have a Fuel Rail Crossover to eliminate the dead head issues.

Here is a great place to get some injector's if you are in the market, Clay has New Alliants as well if that's what you are into.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: Diesel fuel injectors | Ford Powerstroke fuel injectors | 7.3L Fuel Injector - Full Force Diesel / Casserly
If you wanted to test them

Riffraff Diesel: HEUI Flow Testing

Then even some of that can be recouped if you go with injectors there too.

is this true for the 97's as well? and if I run a standard injector will it hurt the motor at all? or will i need to run the crossover in order to run the standard injector?
Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 AM
ain't wrapped tight

clux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputationclux has a superb reputation
No the OBS pickups have a different fuel feed system and never had the cackle problem. The LL injectors didn't come about until about 2001.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2001, 60, 73, 8, 99, az, cyclinder, diesel, f550, ford, injecter, injector, mesa, number, repair, transmission