Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Engine Swaps
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Freshman User

Shawn66mcl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cummins swap cost?

I have an 03 gas 250 and am looking at swapping in a cummins. I'm looking at getting a kit from ford cummins which cost about $3,000. Then I'll need to get a motor and rebuild the transmission. I'm figuring a total cost of around $10,000. Anybody who's done this swap, am I close or is my calculations way off? If it's over $10k, IO might just buy a diesel truck and use mine as a trade in.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Senior User

LOP223 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It really depends on several factors. Are you doing ALL the work yourself? How much can you get the engine for? Did you account for all the things that doesnt come in the kit? With my experience on my swap $10k is on the low end, but I did alot of customizing as I went. I added go fast goodies and a dual disc clutch setup. I think it is possible, but you will have to get a good deal on the engine and watch the budget closely.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Senior User

deck60 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
cost

if you pick up a donor truck and can part it out that will make you cost significantly cheaper any way to make the cost cheaper I figure I will be about 2500-3000 out of pocket maybe less after I part out my parts truck

10k is doable but watch your pennies and use everything you can from the dodge
Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 AM
New User

chocolatechip3512 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engine Swap

I have a 1990 F-350, with a blown 7.3L engine, and found a 96 Dodge Cummins engine. How difficult is the swap, and can I keep my Ford manual tranny, and what else do I have to get? Please Help!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Post Fiend

85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation85e150six4mtod has a superb reputation
Get the NV4500, clutch etc from the Dodge. Ford trans is a ZF with integral bell, and isn't going to bolt up.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Senior User

not enoughsmoke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn66mcl View Post
I have an 03 gas 250 and am looking at swapping in a cummins. I'm looking at getting a kit from ford cummins which cost about $3,000. Then I'll need to get a motor and rebuild the transmission. I'm figuring a total cost of around $10,000. Anybody who's done this swap, am I close or is my calculations way off? If it's over $10k, IO might just buy a diesel truck and use mine as a trade in.
take my advise dont spend 3k from fordcummins i bought a tach kit and motor mounts and the only thing worth buying from them is the tach kit
there swaps stuff is not very professional really looks thrown together
stay away from the bellhousing adapters and run motstly dodge powertrain if you have any questions feel free i am on my second fummins already
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOP223 View Post
It really depends on several factors. Are you doing ALL the work yourself? How much can you get the engine for? Did you account for all the things that doesnt come in the kit? With my experience on my swap $10k is on the low end, but I did alot of customizing as I went. I added go fast goodies and a dual disc clutch setup. I think it is possible, but you will have to get a good deal on the engine and watch the budget closely.
this is true having the ability to take ur time and do it all yourself will make it more appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatechip3512 View Post
I have a 1990 F-350, with a blown 7.3L engine, and found a 96 Dodge Cummins engine. How difficult is the swap, and can I keep my Ford manual tranny, and what else do I have to get? Please Help!
run the dodge nv4500,nv5600 or the g56(not as good of a trans )

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod View Post
Get the NV4500, clutch etc from the Dodge. Ford trans is a ZF with integral bell, and isn't going to bolt up.
it can be done with a adaptor plate
Old 12-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Elder User

StealthWyvern is starting off with a positive reputation.
What auto trans would be best to run with the 4BT that will only do light towing at the most? I want to do this swap so I can enjoy my truck more on a daily basis.. Right now its just a backup that I drive on the weekends due to poor gas mileage.

I want to keep it auto mainly because it stays at my grandmas house and its her only source of transportation. I've only put roughly 8k on the truck in 6 years. lol The E4OD or whatever its called is well need of repair so might as well swap that out with something better if or when i do this. Yes Im aware the swap will set me back a good chunk of change.

http://stealthwyvern.mybrute.com

Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Senior User

not enoughsmoke is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWyvern View Post
What auto trans would be best to run with the 4BT that will only do light towing at the most? I want to do this swap so I can enjoy my truck more on a daily basis.. Right now its just a backup that I drive on the weekends due to poor gas mileage.

I want to keep it auto mainly because it stays at my grandmas house and its her only source of transportation. I've only put roughly 8k on the truck in 6 years. lol The E4OD or whatever its called is well need of repair so might as well swap that out with something better if or when i do this. Yes Im aware the swap will set me back a good chunk of change.
47rh trans is all manual and holds up really good and simple
Old 12-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Elder User

StealthWyvern is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by not enoughsmoke View Post
47rh trans is all manual and holds up really good and simple
Is it safe to assume that the trans will bolt right upto the 4bt? I didnt see any adaptor plates for this model.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:58 AM