1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Another hard shift thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM
79OldBone
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright, so I will try the speed sensor first tonight. Seams to fit the symptons: O/D blinking, no odometer, no speedo but everything else works.

Again so theres only ONE speed sensor on the 95 correct?

This one?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=F85Z9E731AB

NOT this one:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=68815_0_0_

Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
disco biscuit
Senior User
The first one I know is the one in the diff...I aint sure about the other. I own a 96 so I can't say for sure. I know mine has one something like that but I was under the impression is was a range/ temp or something. When I bought my vss it only listed one at the dealer.???

Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
79OldBone
Tuned
yeah my 95 should be the same as your 96.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
OBS Powerstrokes only have one speed sensor, which is on the rear differential.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Parts store ones aren't the best either. I know Fordpride(Mike) went through at least a couple parts store ones before he finally went to ford and got one.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:01 AM
disco biscuit
Senior User
I should note I'm a new guy and I have the same flashing od light which still hasn't been resolved. I have solved my vss problem, or trigger ring in diff on ring gear which led to fixing other code eliminations. Now Im chasing the ill fated Torque Converter lock code.

Point is I didn't want to give impression I solved it completely kinda felt I made it seem that way...

I have spent countless hours chasing this crap(3 yrs off and on...mostly off) during this time I have spent more time reading my Ford specific shop manual and thousands of threads...no exageration, this is the only place I thought worth joining. I've read more than a prisoner in for life.

Your problems lie in your instrument cluster...buy a whole new one. You can't service the speedo pack itself, it has to be done all together. If no fuses are blown and wiring is in good order, I guarantee a light isn't your problem.

My code reads to be torque converter, yours should read something to do with speed. You can check the vss it is a known problem...mine was the trigger ring on the ring gear. But thank yourself for editing in the gauge problem(very important info)

Read the code for sure but you need a new gauge cluster. If it was the sensor the speedo would bounce...the odo wouldn't be totally out

Old 10-07-2011, 07:19 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Are there other symptoms of a bad gauge cluster? I presume the odometer needs to be set to the original miles. This sounds expensive.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:38 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
Yeah so heres the scoop. I changed the VSS last night with high hopes but no luck. I knew as soon as I turned the truck on and still no odometer. I found a few guys who will sell me gauge clusters for $40 and $50. I dont care what it has for miles on it. As I wont be selling the truck def any time soon if ever in my lifetime. I hope its not my ring. I did look in the hole when i had the sensor out and it looked like a sprocket from a dirtbike but it seamed okay? not that I'd be able to tell if it was warn.

Soo I guess thats the next step is to pull the gauge cluster. How do I go about this (again new to fords). I started to pull the plastic off but on the left side it was hung up on the headlight switch and I didnt know how to pull that **** off. I tried to twist it and pull on it but without know which way it comes off for sure I didnt wanna force it. Then the right side doesnt seam to want to unclip. Is there something more to it? In highschool I had a 99 F150 and it all just popped off easy.

Once the dash is apart I imagine its just a few screws and the cluster is out. Then can I just unplug one cluster and plug the new cluster in and be ready to rock n' roll?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
Also I have a buddy with a 94 diesel but not a powerstroke. Will that dash work? Or is the trany not computer controlled so the dash is all different?

Old 10-07-2011, 10:38 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Have you checked all fuses?

Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Parts store ones aren't the best either. I know Fordpride(Mike) went through at least a couple parts store ones before he finally went to ford and got one.
I went through 3 part store ones and 2 from ford

Old 10-07-2011, 10:54 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
Yeah, I checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash. All where good. Well the VSS didnt fix anything so I'll keep the factory one as a spare for if anything happens there. I hope the dash fixes it!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:29 PM
79OldBone
Tuned
will a gasser gauge cluster work in a powerstroke if its the right year? The wait to start is separate.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 PM
disco biscuit
Senior User
I'm not a "expert" but a good friend of mine used a gauge cluster out of a gas. I hope you don't get mad at me but finally got mine fixed. The Torque Converter clutch code and subsequent flashing O.D. button was caused by the brake light on the back of the cab. I don't know if I'm pissed or ecstatic, I know it caused me to drink whiskey which could be either emotion. I'm stuck in trouble shoot mode. These emotions may be caused by a secondary fault in the emotion circuit...Pain in my a^#

I'm starting a flashing O.D. light thread to blab all the problems I encountered while chasing this and others for 3yrs. Please feel free to post on there...I may put a link to your thread if you don't mind---if I can figure out how

Old 10-10-2011, 08:42 AM
79OldBone
Tuned
ha! well my cab light works but my speedo and odometer tells me mine is more but congrats of the ending of your headache! haha So he used the gasser gauge in the powerstroke and it all worked fine? No issues with the computer or trany? What year is his powerstroke and what year did he get the cluster from? Any ideas? Thanks

Just trying to figure out what year dash's will work. The older ones has 2 speed sensors but Im not sure if the dash's were the same or not?

Quick Reply: Another hard shift thread