Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnets in oil and tranny pan?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Magnets in oil and tranny pan?

Would it cause any issues if I were to buy a couple of really strong magnets to put in my oil pan and transmission pan? I am not sure if there are any types of magnets that would interfere with my electronics if the magnets were made of a certain type of material or if they were too strong.

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umm.. I dont think ive ever seen magnets in an oil pan before but they will be fine in a tranny pan. Id be surprised if yours didnt have any in it already. Im sure they would be fine in an oil pan also though.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:08 PM
NFLEagles1
New User
I know of drain plug magnets, but not magnets just thrown inside. I doubt they'd hurt anything. Just keep the metal shavings from being cycled through the oil pump.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM
lisagoud
Posting Guru
I would limit myself to drain plug magnets just to monitor any shaviongs...magnets inside a non-accessible area of a drivetrain component is NOT a good idea (picture porcupine in your oil pan)!

Old 10-05-2011, 05:52 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
I have a magnet from my tranny pan that was covered, wanted to just replace that with a new, stronger one. Then thought it might be a good idea to do the same for the oil pan.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
redmondjp
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 1988 Buick automatic transmission pan had a "donut" magnet inside, from the factory!

I don't know that it would hurt anything to put one inside the engine oil pan, but you wouldn't be able to clean it off.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Our DD 1999 Buick also has a factory donut magnet.

I did put one in my C6 pan earlier this year when I dropped it.

Not a good idea putting one in your engine pan though. No way to access it after to clean it etc.

They sell these magnets you slide on your oil filter though. You can go that route.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:29 PM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
I guess I don't understand why it isn't a good idea to put one in the oil pan where it can't be accessed when that is exactly the situation with the transmission. What's the big deal with being able to access it in the oil vs. the tranny?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Volvo92906
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RIKIL
I guess I don't understand why it isn't a good idea to put one in the oil pan where it can't be accessed when that is exactly the situation with the transmission. What's the big deal with being able to access it in the oil vs. the tranny?
THANK YOU! After reading the other responses I had the exact same thought. Besides these trucks being a PITA to drop the pan... the fact of the matter is that whether in the oil pan or transmission pan.. both need to be dropped if the need arises. And half the time the newer lazy technicians use a flushing machine rather than actually pulling stuff apart which kinda defeats the majorities thinking in this thread. Its the new way for automotive guys to do stuff. (I love being a heavy diesel guy).

Also... There are hundred of transmissions out there with the donut magnet in them. The concept is not new.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RIKIL
One big difference. The tranny pan is dropped as part of normal maintenance when changing the fluid, so you can clean off the magnet then. On the other hand, the oil pan is generally not dropped unless making a major engine repair, and this is usually with the engine out of the vehicle.

Best thing to do for the oil is get a magnetic drain plug. Then you can clean it off every time you change the oil.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Inside the tranny i would take care not to place the magnets near any of the electronic parts, just to be on the safe side.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 AM
blkfordsedan
Senior User
You can buy aftermarket magnet kits that are designed to install in the lifter valley and other areas of the engine. They used to be fairly common in race built engines, maybe they still are.... The goal is to catch pieces and parts of components in the event of failure and keep them from going through the entire engine and causing more damage.
My dad used to put magnets in the oil pan of almost every motor he had. He used livestock magnets sourced from the local Vet or farm supply store. They are pretty strong, but small and pill shaped to allow the cattle to swallow them. They are perfect for inserting them through the oil drain hole during an oil change. Once the metal shavings stick to the magnet, it's almost impossible to get them off. I can't see where it would cause any issues, even if you don't have access to it for cleaning.
Personally, I like the magnets that attach to the outside of the oil filter. Simple, effective, re-usable and you get rid of the metal shavings when you change the filter.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM
RIKIL
Posting Guru
The more I think about it, the best option would be to put some magnets around the oil filter (suggestion by someone else on this post). First reason is because the oil filter is removable and this can allow for the trapped metal to be removed from the oil much sooner than when the oil pan is dropped. The second reason is that the all oil is designed to circulate through the filter so this acts as a central point. If I have a magnet strong enough, it should capture everything. That seems like the best of both worlds.

cPath_1_15 | products_id_1 | Neodymium Motor Magnets 1 Pair 1.5" OD x 1.25" ID x 3/4" 90 Deg - Applied Magnets & WindMax Wind Turbines

Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There are also "filtermags" for you "high dollar ballers" out there that want to drop $30-$60 for a curved magnet that sticks to the outside of your oil filter to pull metal shavings out. I have seen rebuilders drop a 3-4in donut magnet into the oil pan. It won't hurt anything... I like the idea of putting a magnetic drain plug in to catch the little magnet shavings but I use the dorman EZ drain plugs (tool-less oil changes are quicker and easier!). Anyway, I'd never take the plug out to clean it. But if I got into the bottom end of an engine of mine, I'd drop a magnet in for sure! The only risk you'd be taking is if the magnetic would at some point spontaneously de-magnetize and release all the little metal bit back into the engine, and that's a little far fetched for me.

Any which way you want to go... it's always a good idea to pull extra junk out of your oil!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:43 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
couple options for those reading this thread. the filtermag option claims to reduce the particle filtration rating on your filter to 1 micron!

Filtermag RA365 Oil/Fluid Filtration Magnets

Amazon.com: Hardline Products 1336 Magna Guard Black Oil Filter Magnet: Automotive

for bottom of oil pan or maybe insid if you wanted...???
Filtermag RA365 Oil/Fluid Filtration Magnets

Quick Reply: Magnets in oil and tranny pan?