Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2003, 08:28 AM
New User

RecklessAbandon is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do you remove a factory stereo from a 2003 Explorer?

My parents own a 2003 Ford Explorer Limited, and though it's a very nice unit already, I'm wanting to replace it with a Pioneer motorized, flat-screen TV/DVD/CD unit. I've had the Ford factory stereo removal tools from previous stereos we have removed on our older Fords, but the new unit doesn't have the holes to insert the tools, nor any screws on the panel surrounding the stereo.

I was wondering how to get the stereo out exactly. We bought a Hayes repair manual, but doesn't show anything about removing it. Does the surrounding dash moulding just pop off with a screw driver or anything? And once you get the dash apart, how do you remove the stereo? Will there then be the four holes exposed to use the tools, are do you need some other tools?

We have the new installation kit and head unit ordered for the vehicle, just don't know how to get the factory unit out. If someone could please help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Much thanks,
Andrew
Old 04-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Freshman User

ricki621 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How do you remove a factory stereo from a 2003 Explorer?

It is not that hard to remove the stereo, although not as easy as the old removal pins. The large plastic surround trim must be removed first. It is on VERY securely and is held by 4 metal spring type clips and two other studs for a total of six mounting points. Use a putty knife with electrical tape over the end and start at the bottom, close to one end and pry it up. Once you get one loose, the others will also release as you get under them. Once this is loose, the 4WD selector simply unplugs and the panel is clear. Then there are two obvious metal bolts right in front securing the stereo in the dash. It pulls right out from there.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:01 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
2002, 2003, 2005, dash, explorer, factory, ford, mountaineer, radio, removal, remove, removing, sport, stereo, trac