6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

almost stranded in BFE AGAIN!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, finally got back up under the truck today, THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!! someone mentioned a metal cap, what if a rock hits the sensor port instead the effect is the same thing that happened to me. looking at the setup if they moved it higher up in the bracket that holds the assembly it would have helped protect it ALOT. not to mention the unit is plastic a rock could hit the unit itself and cause the same problem. looking again if you have big tires on your truck and a rock got stuck in the lugs it could go RIGHT for the unit. I am not sure quite how to protect the unit better short of something elaborate. I think they should have place it right in front of the fuel tank, that would have given it protection from the back, once I get the truck up and running and out of the street in front of my house I will get it into the garage and check it further. BTW this unit has been dripping fuel since 1:30 am sunday morning and I still spilled diesel all over myself and the street, just like epics video. I am starting to think its unavoidable. the part is costing me like $4 bucks, but they want like $74 bucks for the filter set, is this a good deal?? thats even with me getting wholesale discount on the parts

these are the fixes we did in the middle of the night.

looking closely the unit hangs down to the same level as the transfer case, the t case is metal and they make skid plates for that, wouldn't one would think a plastic part hanging down in the same area might be more deserving of a skid plate?? ford, you sucked on this one.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:43 PM
farmerdave
Senior User
I think we should have a contest to see who comes up with the best skid plate for it.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
garrettwynne
Freshman User
subscribing...

Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Is the $4 part just the yellow valve?
The FD-4615 fuel filter kit costs about $57 online with shipping but I bet $75 is close to what most dealers charge.

I’m contemplating buying a spare lower DFCM bowl with valve if it's not outrageously expensive.
The chances of this happening are slim but being stranded over a piece of plastic isn't worth it.
Anyone know the part numbers to this unit?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...look at the bright side, no water in your separator...wonder if Ford will warranty it????

Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM
huntindog
Senior User
That there is a true Redneck fix! I've done some pretty creative fixes over the years myself.
Glad you were able to drive it home.

I don't think I'd approach Ford about a warranty on this though.
I'm pretty sure that this "fix" is not sealed from outside CONTANIMATION.

I think a mudflap type protector mounted just forward of the filter would give it a lot of protection and still leave it easy to service.

Rick, Glad to see you back. Still pulling for you.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Huntindog. That is on the line I was pondering, something that would absorb a pretty good amount. I cut and haul a good amount of wood and I've had some tree limbs smack the snot outta underside of truck. I will probably get a spare as well.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:07 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by kper05
Is the $4 part just the yellow valve?
The FD-4615 fuel filter kit costs about $57 online with shipping but I bet $75 is close to what most dealers charge.

I’m contemplating buying a spare lower DFCM bowl with valve if it's not outrageously expensive.
The chances of this happening are slim but being stranded over a piece of plastic isn't worth it.
Anyone know the part numbers to this unit?
the DFCM bowl cost is about $45 bucks is what my dealer quoted me. I am not going to worry about the dealer on this one, its a PITA for my wife to follow me to the dealer drop the truck off, go back home then do it over again when its time to pick up the truck. I will gladly fix it myself for $4 bucks just to have a truck up and running on the spot. in the future though if the dealer will change the fuel filters for less than $100 I say let them do it!!!!!! let them take a diesel bath.

putting a flap of rubber or cut mud flap is a great idea!!!! I might fashion my fix from that, or I was thinking of using an 8" ish 1/8 thick steel pipe and weld it to the bottom of the bracket that holds the unit. maybe make some cut outs or something to I can still get to it.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Well someone asked about a machine shop; it so happens I'm an engineer and engineering department manager. We build custom food processing equipment for about 90% of the companies in the USA, it just so happens I have a full machine shop right outside my office door.

I'm going to go out tomorrow and look at my truck and come up with ideas. The bad thing is I'm laying at home, 2 weeks into a 4 week recovery from another back surgery. So anything I come up with and get made will be a month away probably. I'm going to look anyway and see if I can come up with something I can email to the office and have them work on something, that might be a stretch right now though.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:17 AM
farmerdave
Senior User
One option is to move the unit to a better location. 3 inches up would put it between the frame rails. This might be a bit redneck, but I unbolted it and shimed the bottom bolts with 3 washers each to twist it up. Then very carefuly used a bottle Jack and bent the brackets upward. I probably got an inch and a half more of clearance. (let's not get onto the water in fuel debate on this thread)

Old 10-04-2011, 11:00 AM
transferred
Senior User
This shouldn't happen on the 4x4s that say "off road" on them. Plain and simple there should be a skid plate or a better location of the unit. For those who only OTR, avoid the "off road" pkg if you want to easily change filters at every fuel stop. Wake up FoMoCo!

Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 PM
RogerM
Junior User
A new project that I have to do. Leaving on a big hunting trip in 2 1/2 weeks and I will probably be in a situation that would have the same thing happen. Jusat what I needed, and other project before the trip.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 AM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
Well someone asked about a machine shop; it so happens I'm an engineer and engineering department manager. We build custom food processing equipment for about 90% of the companies in the USA, it just so happens I have a full machine shop right outside my office door.

I'm going to go out tomorrow and look at my truck and come up with ideas. The bad thing is I'm laying at home, 2 weeks into a 4 week recovery from another back surgery. So anything I come up with and get made will be a month away probably. I'm going to look anyway and see if I can come up with something I can email to the office and have them work on something, that might be a stretch right now though.
Thank you very much for your time and interst in finding a protective solution. However, some of us will not be able to use a "fix" if it envolves welding. Ford would probably have a fit if we welded onto the frame.

Sorry about your back problems. Hope you get better.

ken

Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
I dont think this is just an "off road" issue. Pieces of tubber tire left in the hiway will do a lot of damage to an undercarriage. I know we dont intentionally hit them but sometimes they are unavoidable.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM
RogerM
Junior User
Did a simple mod last evening. Took a piece of alum. that I had and bent it at the angle of the skid plate of the tranny. Screwed it onto the tranny skid plat and back to the fuel tank skid plate. No rock is going to get thrown into it now. Be carefull and don't use to long of screws into the fuel tank skid plate.

Quick Reply: almost stranded in BFE AGAIN!!!!!!