Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM
New User

animull is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Motor Mount Location 5.0 Into 51 F1

I have been reading all the different threads, forums, talk sessions, etc... concerning the installation of 5.0 into a 51 Ford truck with an aftermarket Mustang II IFS installed on it. My question is: how did/do you determine where to locate, weld in, the engine mounts? The only answer I received back was, “not to high as the transmission rubs the cab and not to low as the engine cannot be seen when the hood is up!” I am kind of looking for some type of measurement as well as someone who has done it. fficeffice" />>>

Help if you have the answer or can direct me to it.>>
Thanks>>
Background Info.>>
1951 F1 (Completely striped down to bare metal)>>
5.0 (302) (Out a 1989 Saleen Mustang)>>
“WC” Borg-Warner T5 Transmission (Out a 1989 Saleen Mustang)>>
9” Rear end (Out of a 1968 F100)>>
Complete Mustang II IFS with Heidt Cross member (All installed on the 51 frame)>>
Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey there! welcome to the forum! sounds like a pretty cool build.
There are many here that should be able to help you, so hang in there and someone will be right with you. Geez that sounds like I am in a Doctor's office!

Speaking of Doc....there is a member here, his username is "Doc" he just recently did something similar, might be of some help. I think he is out chasing a STEER right now(cow).
Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Senior User

SVT-F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Animull,

Hello there, and welcome to FTE, great place for help. I as well am doing something similar along with many others but on 53-56 trucks.

I have completed my No Limit IFS installation and my No Limit 4 link fatbar with a 97 expolder rear end 8.8". The motor is a 5.0 HO out of a 93 T-Bird I will be using mated to a AOD trans.

I have not mounted yet as I have been collecting all my parts (headers, poly mounts, steering column and accesories along with a rear sump oil pan needed for IFS, motor mount bracket metal etc). I have most parts now but still not quite there yet.

For all the research I have done no one has given me numbers and direct areas how to do it. Kind of what works best for your build.

This is my plan off the top of my head with high level idea:
-Assure truck is level is level front to back side to side
-have steering column in place with universal and extensions connected to the rack
-mate the trans and motor and assure motor mounts are on
-support rear of motor by placing transmission onto trans bracket with ability to move back and forth before I drill the trans x member holes.
-float motor about 1 inch to passenger side from center for more space on steering junk
-Attach headers
-adjust height of motor with cherry picker till I hit my desired pinion angle (3 down)
-once headers and everything is clear I will grab my metal slide the through bolt in on each side and mark holes to drill for trans xmember
-then I would tack in brackets (people here have made brackets to side of xmember or bottom)
-Remove the through bolts on the engine mounts and weld in for good

Hope this was of some help to you, and if not it was to me. First time i wrote my thoughts down
2004 Black coupe SVT Cobra (#198)
White 6.7 Scorpion F250 PSD
1995 Camry (R rear window motor broke, only starts with AC on, have to shake gear shift to start, makes noise when I turn right, and have to manual turn on fan with AC to prevent over heating, but keeps on rocking)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Posting Guru

ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm not sure it's useful to you but here is a picture of the 351W engine mounts on our 1950 F1 with a Mustang II IFRS. Note our engine also has a 3 degree pinion & is approx. 1 inch off center toward the passenger side. (I had expert help in setting the engine up).

Ben in Austin
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 PM
New User

animull is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Thanks To All

Thanks for the welcome. Thanks to all for your help.
The pictures are great and shows the detail I am looking for. My engine and tranny have been hanging on my cherry picker for three months now. With all this first class info, I am ready to start playing with it again. If you here of addition info, let me know. I have a feeling I am not the only one in the bucket.

Thanks again to all and I will let you all know how it works out.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
some weird computer glitch happened here.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all52 Merc is a name known to all
First, let me say welcome to the forum! Your project sounds pretty sweet.

That said, the answer to your question is probably not what you want to hear. There is no magic answer or one-size-fits-all measurement. Everyone's install is unique, and as such, you'll have to determine your own best placement with regards to floor and firewall clearance, radiator clearance, header clearance, steering linkage, crankshaft/pinion angle, oil pan and crossmember clearance, etc., etc., you get the idea. You really need to have all these other questions answered first, then build your engine mounts last and placed in a position that allows all the other items mentioned to work together.

Good luck with your project, and remember we are always here to listen and help.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Posting Guru

ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.ben73058 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Welcome aboard - just one last thought - the steering & headers are tight on the driver's side but once you get that figured out triple check the front clearance fan/shroud to radiator. We had to go with a very thin electronic fan up front to make it work - very close.up there. Good luck it sounds like a fun build!

Ben in Austin
Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
Ben, is the cab in its proper place in that pic? My drivers side head is about a 1/2" from the firewall. I have a different setup completely, but its nice to see comparison 351w to 351w.
My steering situation is driving me crazy! I am not experienced in this steering redesign, whatsoever! In fact, I feel stupid sometimes!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Posting Guru

Jeff,
That's a good question - We had the cab on & off of there so many times. I can say for certainty in the pic below it's all buttoned down in its proper locations. The angle isn't exactly the same but that is a pic I know was done after all adjusting..

Ben in Austin
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2011, 09:55 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1951, 50, 51, engine, f1, f100, fit, ford, location, motor, mount, mounts, sbf, swapping, truck