1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

82 Explorer

Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM
82explorer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
82 Explorer

Hey guys just wanted to drop a couple pics of my truck. Just bought it two weeks ago and love it.ive got big plans for it so keep an eye out for new pics.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:38 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
That is a very handsome truck you got there, 82explorer! But you forgot to show us some engine pictures!

It's always good to see the rare Explorer package trucks still on the road. You don't see too many of these in that good of shape anymore. There is a gentleman here by the name of 81-F-150-Explorer who will probably chime in here soon. He is our resident "Explorer" expert!

At any rate, welcome to the forums, and check out this thread dedicated to the 1980 - 1986 F150 Explorers:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ll-2011-a.html

Old 10-02-2011, 12:56 PM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
That's the striping scheme that comes to mind when I think of and envision an Explorer.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice truck!

Keep those wheels in good shape, they were only made for about 6 years or so.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
That looks sweet! Almost 30 yrs old, but sure doesn't show it. So are you going to share any of these big plans on us now? or are you just gonna surprise us after its done? :-)

Ron

Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Man, that's what mine should look like! I really, REALLY hope you make it to the get-together at my place in 2 weeks since I want to see that truck. In fact, I want to take pictures since yours is in far better shape than mine.

This is a very good case-in-point of doing your research and buying the vehicle in the best possible shape since it'll save you money in the long run. I'll bet it'll cost me far more to put mine back in shape that the diff between what I paid and what you paid.

Anyway, disregard the part of the email where I said I haven't seen the pics since I have now. But, do follow up on the link I sent for the Explorer survey. Collectively we should be able to stack the deck.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:09 PM
82explorer
New User
This truck is in great shape for it's age. Does have a bit of cancer above right rear wheel and drivers side behind the rear wheel well. Also has several places where the paint has all but wore off and several rock chips. Paint was very oxidized but the rubbing compound took care of that. The best part about the truck is it only had 79453 original miles and I only paid $900. The po threw in the original wheels and hub caps (in great condition), 4 extra tires, a set of dynomax headers, a camper (ugly as sin but in great shape), and a new in box fuel sending unit. The truck had sit for the past 9 years. I've taken the emissions crap off, cut muffler off (about to fall off anyway) installed new accelarator pump, power valve, oil sending unit to gauge, thermostat, fuel filter, fuel gauge float, and a few other odds ans ends like oil change and air filter, air horn filter ect. Runs like a champ. Good strong 302. Since interior is about 6 different shades of faded red and the dash looks like poop I'll be working on it next. Haven't really decided what I'm going to do so I'll be experimenting the next couple days. I'll post more pics later,( under hood not much to brag about but I'll put them up)

Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I wish you hadn't said what you paid for it. Man, I wish you hadn't done that! I paid $700 and didn't get nearly as much. Look at those wheels! Now go look at all the work I put in, not to mention the cost of buying them, on mine. Again, it pays to shop.

So, are you putting the headers on? I am literally on the phone now with a craigslister in Claremore re headers since I'm going back with them when this engine gets installed. So, I'm in the market.

On the interior, there's lots of plastic in them there door panels and you can usually sand down through the oxidized stuff. You'll obviously lose the grain/texture, but it is worth it. Somewhere I posted about doing that.

And, I love your seat cover. Gotta get a picture of that since that's what mine started with. Oh boy, I can't wait.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:17 PM
82explorer
New User
Didn't mean to brag about my deal... But I'm sure proud of it! Ya I'm putting the headers on this weekend and the following Monday shes going in for a new dual exhaust and some glasspacks.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Not to pour water on your exhaust system plans, but I've been doing a LOT of reading regarding that subject and what I've read says many of the glass packs have awful flow #'s. The majority of them have the louvers punched toward the inside, meaning they hang down into the flow and create all kinds of restrictions.

In order to figure it out, look into the inlet side of the muffler. If you see the louvers poking into the stream they will hurt the flow. If they go the other way they'll flow fine. Or, put on something like Dynomax, Magnaflow, or Flowmasters, all of which flow well.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 PM
ctubutis
Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Headers I agree with, but not glasspacks, I guess I've gotten old enough to now consider them annoying and crappy-sounding.

JMO.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 PM
82explorer
New User
I had a feeling I'd eat crow for mentioning the dreaded glasspacks. I had a pair of 30 inchers on a 89 chevy w/ 350 and they sounded sweet. Not too loud just a nice low rumble. Most mufflers are fairly inexpensive. If I don't like em I'll try something else. Ill have to learn from my own experience on this one, although I do appreciate all your opinions and input.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
82explorer,

Welcome to the forum!

Just a small contribution on my part regarding the small worn area on the driver's bottom seat... I have had two trucks with similar sized worn spots and took them to one of our local automotive upholstery shops and had that one "panel" replaced for less than $50.00. The replacement vinyl was a near perfect match and one time the welting was replaced due to cracks and there was no additional charge. He pulled the seat, did the work and when I picked it up, there was a pile of loose change which he discovered, waiting in the floor of the pasenger side.

It is good to know there are honest businessman still out there!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:06 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Great Looking 1982 Explorer Tu-tone.

If fixing the body, try to keep the stripes intact.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 AM
fiftyfordfloored
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What an awesome truck you've got yourself there.

I have to chime in and agree with Chris and Gary against the glass packs. Not only do the cheap ones hurt flow, but they sound pretty terrible (of course that's just my 25 year old opinion ).

I do have an alternative suggestion to the above... If you want something that sounds unique, you could spend a little extra on some Gibson mufflers.

1989 Ford F-150 - YouTube

They sound great on a small block (or a 300 six); they give it more of a big block low end sound, and they don't have the obnoxious popping of a glass pack or the tinny metal garbage can sound of a Flowmaster.

Ford 300 I6 Built & Modded w/custom Gibson exhaust - YouTube

^^ My truck with a Gibson muffler just to give you an idea... Takes most of the buzz out of a six..

Dynomax is the other option I'd go with. I've had good luck with both Dynomax and Gibson, but the Dynomax won't make your wallet collapse in onto itself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 82 Explorer