automatic shifter rebuild - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

automatic shifter rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 AM
New User

miniowner92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
my thanx to all involved w/descriptive and pictorial posts involving this thread. just did the job w/dorman parts and shifter works great again. po tried to jb weld one of the ears back on the tube where it bolts in the back to the shifter cable ***'y. me thinks it's easier to replace parts than it was to try to do something that foolish. great place to come for info-hope I can give back one day.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 PM
New User

sdharlow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2002 View Post
COOL! Happy to hear that someone could make use of the pics and captions. Took a long dang time to write that stuff up.
Wow! This has really helped out. Went into a store tonight, came back out, started truck, shifted to Drive, and a dang Torx head shouldered screw falls out and hits my right foot. Now can't shift it into Park. Got the steering column surround off, and removed key assembly. Could not see where the heck this screw goes. Guess I will do some more tearing apart. By the pictures, I am thinking it is probably the one of those that helps hold that Spring in. Thanks for the great tutorial/ pictorial.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Elder User

Lex2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Power to the people! woohooo!!!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdharlow View Post
Wow! This has really helped out. Went into a store tonight, came back out, started truck, shifted to Drive, and a dang Torx head shouldered screw falls out and hits my right foot. Now can't shift it into Park. Got the steering column surround off, and removed key assembly. Could not see where the heck this screw goes. Guess I will do some more tearing apart.
You don't need to tear ANYTHING apart to install this screw. Read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD View Post
They are tough to find until you know where they are, laying facing up top of your head towards your pedals, follow the shifter tube(push pull cable) up from the floorboard, to a bracket it is the torx screws that connect the cable to the shifter arm/tube.

Circled in orange.

Attachment 42230

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 PM
New User

Thanks Mark. I did actually get a look back there a little while ago with an LED light and a Mirror. It comes from that bracket at the end that holds the spring behind it. The upper one, underneath the jut out of that bracket. The other screw is in there, and it all still appears snug. Would just this screw simply falling out, suddenly make it not able to shift into Park? Or is it just a symptom of additional issues?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM
New User

It is actually this screw. They one shown here partially backed out.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:07 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
One missing screw will make it so that you can't shift to park.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 04-22-2015, 06:35 PM
New User

Well I got that dang screw back in. What a serious pain in the butt!!! Getting too old for twisting around up there like I did. Good news is, as soon as I tightened it down, as well as making sure the other was tight, it started shifting just fine again.
Click the image to open in full size.