Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2013, 03:45 PM
New User

AndersonPlow is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry didn't take any pictures. If you look under from the drivers side you can see it. Black plastic box attached where the cable connects. Very easy fix.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Elder User

Lex2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonPlow View Post
Sorry didn't take any pictures. If you look under from the drivers side you can see it. Black plastic box attached where the cable connects. Very easy fix.
Yes I remember reconnecting the cable to this when I swapped out transmissions. Its very accessible. There is also an adjustment for the cable down there, if I recall.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
If you work as slowly as I do, and I do mean sssslowww, it should take 5 minutes to install a TRS. It is incredibly easy.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
If you work as slowly as I do, and I do mean sssslowww, it should take 5 minutes to install a TRS. It is incredibly easy.
The ladies like it slow Mark.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 PM
New User

Mario428 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The problem is the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor.). It is the sensor on the driver's side of the trans where the shift cable attaches.
Thanks was wondering what causes the problems.
Broke my second shifter tube today, 200K kms or 150ish K miles.
Have it all apart now will check to see how hard the cable is to move, will also make sure to get new bushings this time. Did not do the work the last time and think maybe the bushings were not replaced, shifter has always been very vague about right position. Get close to R or D and play a bit to get it right
Old 01-16-2014, 11:10 AM
New User

werdna65 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonPlow View Post
That fixed it. Everything is smooth and free.
Thanks again
I woundered about that, after I fixed the shift tube bushings the shifter is still hard to move, I'll look at getting a new switch and replacing it.
Something else worth saying is when you are replacing the shift bushing the cable for the indicator should be hooked up last. If not you risk Breaking the cable, as I did by mistake trying to tighten the 2 back bolts.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Senior User

Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Found this thread via search...

I just had my shifter go limp the other night. I just took it apart and the tube and plunger ar both broke in half. Shortly before this happened, the radiator went in the wife's car. So, we are without a vehicle...

I checked ebay and a few online sites, the Ford parts are readily available BUT I would have to wait on shipping. The local Advance Auto has a replacement part made by Dorman- in stock right now. Is the Dorman part any good?

I really need this truck back on the road ASAP, but if I have to pull the column apart in a week because the replacement is bad, well, you know...
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyclopse View Post
Found this thread via search...

I checked ebay and a few online sites, the Ford parts are readily available BUT I would have to wait on shipping. The local Advance Auto has a replacement part made by Dorman- in stock right now. Is the Dorman part any good?
I have used Dorman parts in other applications and they seem like decent quality. These parts are really not very complex so I wouldnt sweat it too much. If I was in a bind, I would install the Dorman parts without hesitation.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Senior User

Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Psyclopse is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I went ahead and went with the Dorman part, because the parts store was so close (and the wife reminded me that we are out of dog food, and that store is not close.

I already had everything apart when I made the prior post, so it was quick work to put it all back together. Everything fit as it should, shifter is a tad on the firm side, but I suspect it will loosten up with time. I didn't realize how sloppy the old setup was until I replaced everything.

Question- those two bolts you all were mentioning that become loose- both of mine were (one about 1/8" and the other about 1/4" out). Could this be why the tube and plunger broke in half?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Elder User

Quote:
I went ahead and went with the Dorman part, because the parts store was so close (and the wife reminded me that we are out of dog food, and that store is not close.

I already had everything apart when I made the prior post, so it was quick work to put it all back together. Everything fit as it should, shifter is a tad on the firm side, but I suspect it will loosten up with time. I didn't realize how sloppy the old setup was until I replaced everything.

Question- those two bolts you all were mentioning that become loose- both of mine were (one about 1/8" and the other about 1/4" out). Could this be why the tube and plunger broke in half?
EXCELLENT! Ya it sure makes the shifter very direct and precise.

Are you asking me or the original poster about the 2 bolts that were loose?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex2002 View Post
Are you asking me or the original poster about the 2 bolts that were loose?
Anyone who can answer.

Also another question for anyone- With the Ford parts, what are the bushings made out of? I've seen different sites refer to them as rubber, but the ones in my Dorman kit were plastic.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Anyone who can answer.

Also another question for anyone- With the Ford parts, what are the bushings made out of? I've seen different sites refer to them as rubber, but the ones in my Dorman kit were plastic.
Nope the FORD bushings are plastic. Certainly not rubber. Rubber would bind up. These bushings are slippery by design.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:20 PM
Senior User

That was my thinking when I saw "rubber bushings" in a few descriptions. I was like "how the heck is THAT gonna work?"

But just as I suspected, the firmness eased up and the shifter feels like a brand new truck now. This fix was really pretty simple. Now onto my door issues...
Old 06-16-2014, 03:07 AM
Freshman User

Rickey Joe is starting off with a positive reputation.
This was a great write-up! I joined the forum Yesterday this was the third Write-up I read because I am having this issue. I feel confident I can do this repair. THIS is why I joined THESE are the people I was looking for. THANK YOU to EVERYONE involved! I am looking forward to more like this!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Posting Guru

Y2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud ofY2KW57 has much to be proud of
Black Angus, speaking of "serious", some SERIOUS REPS are due to you for your written instructions on what to do.

And Lex2002... what an AWESOME pictorial. A picture IS indeed worth a thousand words, and you taking the time to photo illustrate each step should catapult this write up into a permanent sticky or chapter in the how to portion of this website. Major REPS to you have been delivered!

Look how three new people joined this site due to comprehensive posts like what Lex2002 and BlackAngus took the time to create. FTE should be paying THEM to be members, because great posts draw more eyes on whatever ads that FTE sells.

But at the very least, we could simply thank these members for taking the time to make it easier for the rest of us to keep our vehicles fixed right. And consider this post one such THANK YOU!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:47 PM