Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2012, 12:26 PM
New User

widowson2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
man you guys are great just joined site and in 15 minutes I have diagnosed my problem learned how to do repair and where to get my parts! Thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Elder User

Lex2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by widowson2 View Post
man you guys are great just joined site and in 15 minutes I have diagnosed my problem learned how to do repair and where to get my parts! Thanks!
COOL! Happy to hear that someone could make use of the pics and captions. Took a long dang time to write that stuff up.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Postmaster

Apocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud ofApocalypse has much to be proud of
llittle_llama
I need to do this (as I'm sure everyone here does). Damn I was hoping it would be easier. *sigh*
Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
I need to do this (as I'm sure everyone here does). Damn I was hoping it would be easier. *sigh*
EASIER? Dude, I provided all the pics and instructions! Sheez.

If you can change your oil, filter and fuel bowl filter you can do this. Believe me. Its no big deal.

Deep breath, positive attitude....it will be fun. I promise.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 PM
New User

WP1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
First, thank you fte for all the useful info you've given over the years hope i can give back for once. I had extreme slop in the shifter on my f250 as described above. I replaced the shift tube assembly twice, used loctite on the two torx head bolts in the back, and still had slop in the shifter. The final time I took it apart the spring in the shift tube fell out and I noticed the spring was worn. Took apart my old man's 03 f250 (only 30000mi) still tight shifter. Spring was originally about an inch long, mine was less than 1/2. Replaced the spring and bingo brand new feel. Hope this helps. Once again thanks.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 AM
New User

James Eddie Long Jr is starting off with a positive reputation.
ravenmanic ravenmanic
Did as shown in post everything works except key switch does not read that key is removed and will not start.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Eddie Long Jr View Post
Did as shown in post everything works except key switch does not read that key is removed and will not start.
Mr., you did not put it all back together correctly.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 PM
New User

AndersonPlow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just did this job for the second time. First was at 50k and now again at 70k. I assumed this was because I do a lot of plowing, but I know people with similar trucks that plow and have way more miles with no problems. I now know mine is way harder to shift than the others.
I disconnected the cable from the tranny to see if it was bound. The shifter is free and smooth. When I hook the cable back up it becomes very hard to shift. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what would be binding at the tranny? If I don't fix it, I know I will be doing the shift tube over real soon.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The problem is the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor.). It is the sensor on the driver's side of the trans where the shift cable attaches.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The problem is the TRS (Transmission Range Sensor.). It is the sensor on the driver's side of the trans where the shift cable attaches.
I was hoping that would be the case. Thank you Mark.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Elder User

Quote:
How do you fix it?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
You get a new TRS and replace the bad one. A new TRS is about $40 at any auto parts store. They might call it an MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor ) or a NSS (Neutral Safety Switch.)

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-08-2013, 11:39 AM
New User

I am heading to the parts store after work to grab one. I will let you know how it works.
Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:18 PM
New User

Quote:
That fixed it. Everything is smooth and free.
Thanks again
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonPlow View Post
That fixed it. Everything is smooth and free.
Thanks again
WOW that was fast! No pictures for us?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1973, 450, 97, automatic, broke, column, diesel, ford, free, full, shifter, tranny, transmission, trucks, tube, turbo