Big Propane Problem Please Help

Old 05-17-2011, 06:22 PM
FordProTrucks
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Propane Problem Please Help

Hello, my son has a 1999 Ford F-150 with a GFI Dual Fuel conversion LPG/Gasoline. The truck has about 30K original miles. Here is the problem. We live in California and under the rule of CARB. There is a warning light on the dash which won't allow the vehicle to pass the SMOG Test. I took it to the Ford dealer and they told me the trouble codes indicate I have to replace the Propane Compuvalve. But this is for starters. There may be one or more components that may also require replacement starting price ~$4,000. I understand these Compuvalves are notorious for failure as well as being near impossible to find also this would be tough money for my son.

Here is what I would like to do. I would like to remove the conversion and make it a straight gasoline truck. I understand, I think, the PCM is the same for gasoline only it has a program downloaded "Flashed" for the propane module. It seems to me a gasoline wiring harness could be installed and the PCM re-flashed for gasoline taking the propane off-line. I am not sure what else might have to be done to accomplish this or if it will work. Any and all advise would be appreciated. Looking forward to your help. Thank you. Rich

Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Put the truck on ebay and sell it out of state. I'm afraid you may be in trouble with CARB if you try and convert it to a gasoline only system since it was originally certified dual fuel. Talk to a referee smog check station before you spend any money on your idea.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 PM
gasman6674
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It won't pass on gasoline only? Its Bi-fuel correct? Or do they have to check on both fuels? I am not familar with that system so I am not much help trobleshooting but you might contact a local LP dealer for a referall to a good Non-dealer mechanic.
Then if all else fails sell it out of state.

Good luck

Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 PM
FordProTrucks
New User
I was told by the local smog check that they do not check the vehicle running on propane. They are directed by the computer. I've called every ford dealer in a 300 mile radius and contacted several Propane Conversion companies. No body yet has been able to offer advise. The CARB Referee stated that after, repairs are attempted and a large fee is paid they will give you 2 more years to drive the vehicle. At that point it must be repaired to pass smog or scrapped. Hard luck.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:59 AM
EXCURSIONATOR1
Senior User
The large fee in il. I think is $400

Old 09-30-2011, 01:08 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
what single part on a propane system could be worth 4000 dollars ?? my bronco was converted to propane for less then 1200 for a new system ..is this just a case of "they can't be bothered to learn to fix it??" or is the EPA /CARB that difficult to work with ?? we hear storys ..but can't believe it is that insane ..you would have to scrap a 10 year old truck because of a smog test?? at 30,000 mils ..strange place you live in....

Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 AM
skottarino
New User
Smile

There is a warning light on the dash which won't allow the vehicle to pass the SMOG Test.

Remove the light bulb...

Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
so what has happened with the smog check ..any resaloution to the problem

Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skottarino
There is a warning light on the dash which won't allow the vehicle to pass the SMOG Test.

Remove the light bulb...
The bulb has to light up when you first turn the ignition key, or it fails right there. Anyway, part of the test sequence is a code scan. If there are any codes that would throw a Check Engine light, no pass.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Ford parts are presumably much more expensive than old-school LP setups.

With that much money at stake I'd find a good gasoline truck with cosmetic damage and use the cherry 99 for an organ donor then part the rest out if I had to have an F150.

If I didn't have to have an F150 I'd sell it "parts only". Used car dealers often buy "parts only" vehicles because one can fix two or three wrecks. They send the stripped cab to the crusher when done, and those year trucks are very popular.

If you do the "pay large fee then scrap" method, I'd strip that truck bare and scrap the cab and frame in accordance with regs. (Find a printed copy, accept no verbal answer since it's a LEGAL question!)