Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD shifts hard from 1st to 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Chris Niemann
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! THIS IS THE 3RD SITE I'VE BEEN ON WHERE THE THREAD JUST STOPS....................

W H A T H A P P E N E D.......

W H A T W A S T H E F I X........

all these trucks that have the EXACT same problem as me and I can't seem to find a thread that actually posts the finished product of what was done to fix it.......

anyone know??

Old 06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Niemann
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! THIS IS THE 3RD SITE I'VE BEEN ON WHERE THE THREAD JUST STOPS....................

W H A T H A P P E N E D.......

W H A T W A S T H E F I X........

all these trucks that have the EXACT same problem as me and I can't seem to find a thread that actually posts the finished product of what was done to fix it.......

anyone know??
Calm down man! this is the second thread that you have basically posted the same thing into and you only have 2 posts.....

if you want to know if anything has been resolved you just have to ask if theres any updates.

we take the CAPS LOCK like your yelling. you'll get better responses if you lay off the caps lock and stop freaking out.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Chris Niemann
New User
crapper, this is FTE site isn't it.... sorry, thought this was a 3rd site I was on... but yeah, I posted the same thing on all 3 posts and all 3 posts I got a reply.

I was sorta kinda yelling but more in a pull my hair out way than a "your a POS people" type of way...

so since you seen my other post, i'll reply to this one with the same thing just so its all covered...

Thanks for all the information. Out of all the info I gathered from the other posts and what people suggested, I went the route of electrical first. I unplugged EVERY single harness from the transmission to the PCM and from the rear end (where the VSS is) and cleaned every female end with a pic and male end with a tiny flat head screw driver to clear corrosion from them all. I then covered the female end of each one with a decent amount of dielectric grease and put them all back together. Drove 200yds and it still did it, then all of a sudden it quit. Drove another almost 75 miles through my gravel road country and it did great! We'll see what it does in the morning from a cooler start. Hopefully it was just a crap wire/connection along the way!

But honestly, thanks for the help from everyone! Really hope I got this!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Chris Niemann
New User
cleaning all the harness connections and using dielectric grease really helped but I still had a small hiccup along the way...

ADJUSTMENT!

the sensor at the shift linkage ( i call it the neutral safety switch ) but whatever you want to call it, i think was just a bit off.... adjusted that a bit and 150 miles later on gravel, interstate, and city streets, she's done me good!!

thanks to everyone for all the tips and "look for's"

Sorry to anyone I pissed off with the caps... promise it won't happen again!!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 PM
abriel68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where was your adjustment, that you adjusted on your shifter linkage? my 91 f350 is doin the same thing. My OD light is flashing on the dash and it seems to start from 2nd and just plain bogg down unless i start out in the lower gears then shift up once im in 3rd. Tranny was just rebuilt not too long ago, so maybe linkage or electrical is loose? My park on the indicator is all the way to the top Revers the pin is on P, Drive is halfway in Neutral. I'm so glad i found this thread im gna check everything tonight when i get home from work.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:13 PM
DC2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris (or anyone else),

Can you please tell me where/how you adjusted the linkage. I'm doing all the electrical clean ups now...as trans is shifting hard, going into N while driving, sometimes takes off in OD/3, and the speedo is tap dancing on crack.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Solonoid , or a shift kit was installed previously, ask the guy who owned it before, if it were me, easiest thing I would do is see if the tranny fluid looks burnt, then you can start narrowing it down, a e4od is a common tranny, if you can figure it out just go to a pick and pull, grab a spare valve body, and try that