6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 AM
XB70
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philofab

I've driven home from Las Vegas twice (100+ miles away) without a working alternator and an Optima Redtop. Once was at night in a Honda Prelude, the other was during the day in a Toyota pickup.
This is where you throw logic onto Interstate 15. A fully charged Optima will store and deliver the same amount of power as the the same capacity el-cheapo flooded battery. The only theoretical benefit to an Optima in your scenarios is less damage from deep cycling with no charge for 100 miles.

Wait, you had Red Tops. Yellow Tops are deep cycle. What's the Optima benefit again?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:48 AM
philofab
Junior User
Originally Posted by XB70
Obviously, you've never shopped in Cody. Only three of those dealers stock batteries, none are open on Sunday, six are closed on Saturday and one location is a private residence. On closer inspection, one isn't even an automotive battery dealer.

Just what in the heck do you base your assertion of "needing a battery is way less" on? Maybe your need for a replacement battery at 2:00 AM on a Sunday is less because you're sleeping and never drive at that time. I have never read any study that shows AGM batteries outlast flooded batteries. They might in Alaska, but certainly not Arizona or Death Valley.

The biggest difference between batteries is warranty. Speak with any battery engineer and you'll find out that within a battery range, all batteries of a given capacity are virtually identical. The one year warranty Duralast is just about the same as the three year Duralast. The difference in price is an insurance premium to cover the extended warranty.

An Interstate battery is no better than a Motorcraft or Walmart or Costco battery. I personally know more people who have made warranty claims on Optimas than any other battery. Sure, AGM is better for mounting upside down or the beating inccured during the Baja 1000, but I try not to catch too much air offroad with my F250. It's too heavy to drive like a prerunner.

My personal experience tells me that a well maintained flooded battery is just as reliable as AGM. I've had two friends with F250s stuck in my driveway with bad Optimas.
I actually drive 50,000+ miles a year. I have never been to Cody, and I doubt I ever will be. With the extreme heat here I have seen AGM batteries last longer than flooded. I live in a warm part of AZ and summer time temps reach 130F.

There is a big difference in quality on batteries though. The warranty reflects that on most. Many batteries sold a discount stores are made with recycled lead. Higher end batteries are made with "virgin" lead. The problem with the recycled stuff is it's more prone to get sulfate build up quicker and more likely to have parts of plates break off and fall to the bottom of the case, sometimes shorting.

Sorry you don't care for Optimas. A lot of people like them.

This is where you throw logic onto Interstate 15. A fully charged Optima will store and deliver the same amount of power as the the same capacity el-cheapo flooded battery. The only theoretical benefit to an Optima in your scenarios is less damage from deep cycling with no charge for 100 miles.

Wait, you had Red Tops. Yellow Tops are deep cycle. What's the Optima benefit again?
One of the benefits is a cleaner engine compartment and no maintenance, including terminals.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
This is a downright sexy thread, i was between Optima, Diehard Platinum, or Interstate, but now I am hearing good persuasive argument for Walmart batts (or maybe Sams? They have Duracel I think).....

Old 10-03-2011, 01:02 PM
philofab
Junior User
Originally Posted by GeneLaw1
This is a downright sexy thread, i was between Optima, Diehard Platinum, or Interstate, but now I am hearing good persuasive argument for Walmart batts (or maybe Sams? They have Duracel I think).....
My local Sam's used to be JCI (Interstate) but recently switched to Energizer.

I'm thinking that Sam's has regional contracts however.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
Originally Posted by BobsF350
i also have the EVERSTARTS from walmart.Ill say wasnt what i would have liked to put in but they were the chose i had on a sunday night.800 miles from home.
Bob,

How are the Everstarts working for you?

Old 10-03-2011, 03:38 PM
XB70
Elder User
I have yet to hear a persuasive argument for humans living in 130F heat.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM
philofab
Junior User
I have yet to hear a persuasive argument for humans living in 130F heat.
I can't handle cold. I put a jacket on when it gets below 75F. I also do not have to pre heat anything I weld.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:02 PM
BobsF350
Elder User
Originally Posted by GeneLaw1
Bob,

How are the Everstarts working for you?
I think that i bought them in winter of 06 i dont remember mileage if i had to guess 50-60K.So far they have out lasted my original Motorcrafts its going on winter of 11 and 187K. For the money id have to say i might get another set.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:21 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest difference between batteries is warranty. Speak with any battery engineer and you'll find out that within a battery range, all batteries of a given capacity are virtually identical. The one year warranty Duralast is just about the same as the three year Duralast. The difference in price is an insurance premium to cover the extended warranty.

An Interstate battery is no better than a Motorcraft or Walmart or Costco battery.
I completely agree (but am unable to give you some rep points). This link Consumer Reports Article - MSN Autos sheds some objective light on batteries. I recently needed a battery for my daughter's Explorer. After comparing prices, warranty etc. I bought the Walmart EverStart with a 3 year free replacement warranty for about $50 less than a comparable Duralast or Interstate.

The 5 year old Costco Kirkland batteries in my boat are awesome. I had Optima's in my previous boat that didn't seem any better than the OEM's (before they died). A friend has replaced 2 Optima's in the last 2 years in his boat and now has another bad one... But always wants to tell me how great they are!

Bottom line: Buy whatever battery that works for you but don't be fooled by the misconception of a higher price yielding better quality. I went with Motorcraft on my 06 F350 based on a reasonable price and the 3 year free replacement warranty which was a good value for me

Old 10-03-2011, 11:58 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Original FoMoCo battery gave up yesterday in my parts runner '02 Ranger, it didn't even make it 10 years! They just don't build anything like they used to!

I wasn't going to spend the coin for a Platinum, or even a Motorcraft ($110 list, $83 my cost), Duralast Gold ($103), or an Interstate ($74 my cost), so I ran down to Costco and bought a Kirkland (still a JC), looks just like the DLG, with the same warrantee, FOR $47!!! Perfect for the parts runner, we'll see how long it lives!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 PM
GeneLaw1
More Turbo
Thanks for all the help guys, I picked up a couple of yellow Everstarts yesterday. The arguments from XB and others about Walmart store being plentiful and easy to find (and I like to travel, often in rural areas) were definitely persuasive (us lawyers love persuasive arguments, lol). Not to mention, I am in the middle of a FICM repair and just didnt want to spend the $400 on a set of platinums at this point! As I add more electronics, I will more than likely upgrade for sure...