Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Senior User

MKEBoost is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
EcoBoost Ticking at Idle

Hey everyone...here's my first post...just joined the site!

I did a little searching through the forums but was not able to find anything on this issue. Hopefully I am not duplicating a prior post somewhere. Anyhow...I test drove an EcoBoost 150 a couple of weeks ago and noticed that at idle, I can hear a ticking sound from the engine about every second or so. I only hear it when I was outside the cab. It's pretty pronounced but not necessarilly like a "bad" sound. My dealer said it is the high pressure fuel pump. This makes sense in some respects but I wanted to see if this is normal with the new EBoost engine?

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help.

(My new F150 SCrew with EBoost will be in hopefully next week...I can't wait!)
Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE! The Ford rep said that it's the injectors. The fuel pump is in the gas tank and it will make a whining or humming sound if any at all.

Anyway, this ticking is perfectly normal for the ecoboost engine.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Post Fiend

MCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputationMCDavis has a superb reputation
Question for you 2011+ owners:
I've always associated the injector "ticking" as more of a clicking (plastic sound) than a ticking (metallic sound). To me the injectors sound more like a relay click (like the click of a ball point pen) than a metal on metal tick, like say a predetonation "ping".
Are the injectors on the new engines making the same sound as the 04-08s did?
Official Slackmaster #24
Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Senior User

gixer311 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I noticed this when I first bought mine. 5K later, it seems a little more pronounced...along with the erratic idle(even when warmed up). Its starting to get to me, especially when going through the drive through at Dunkin donuts...which I do alot.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Senior User

todd230 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The ticking described sounds like the fuel injectors which on these truck is VERY high pressure similar to that of a diesel. On my 99 PSD I had a programmer which switched up the tune on the fly. You could really hear the difference when switching. Also Fords have a test program with the motor off - you should hear how loud an injector is at 2500psi without the motor running.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Senior User

MKEBoost is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the replies thus far...definately helpful. I've heard injector clicking before, this just seemed a little bit more pronounced...sounds like it's from the higher fuel pressure. Anyway...I can't wait...I mean..I CAN'T WAIT! to get my new truck soon!!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Postmaster

YoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to beholdYoGeorge is a splendid one to behold
The fuel pressure in an Ecoboost engine is over 2000 lbs/square inch compared to maybe 60-80 for a conventional port injected engine. It makes sense that the injectors would have to "clamp" closed very hard because they are right in the combustion chamber and would have to close tightly enough to keep the explosion pressure in the cylinder from kicking back into the injector after they squirt the fuel into the cylinder. Regular port injectors are on the intake side of the intake valve and would have very little pressure to hold back.

Just envisioning the physics here, it seems completely logical that the injectors in a direct injected engine would have to be pretty darn loud to clamp shut during the fuel/air explosions!

And welcome to the site, MKEBoost. Lots of accumulated knowledge here.

George
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Elder User

TheWhiteBeast is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixer311 View Post
I noticed this when I first bought mine. 5K later, it seems a little more pronounced...along with the erratic idle(even when warmed up). Its starting to get to me, especially when going through the drive through at Dunkin donuts...which I do alot.
You running your a/c or defroster?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.jimmyb08SD has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think it's the high pressure fuel pump you are hearing.

2014 F150 STX

Jim, Fl. Chapter Leader"Army Vet. and American for Life"
View my Gallery here- or http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/me...lorer+xlt.html
Join the
Florida Chapter Here
Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior User

gixer311 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteBeast View Post
You running your a/c or defroster?
No sir...it was 48 degrees this morning and I let it warm up for about 2 minutes than headed to DD. First red light about a mile down the road, the truck, actually jumped forward with my foot on the brake(as I was stopped at the light). Idle was about 1000 rpm, after a little more warming up, the rpm's hovered from 500 to 700...and no jumping ahead. I didn't have a lot of pressure on the brake, which is probably why it was able to jump forward...but, it was strange to say the least. I definitely will be applying more force in the future.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
New User

012 FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Been having the same problem as Gixer311 although mine goes a little bit further. I will occasionally have rough idle, somethimes on cold engine sometimes on warm. But have also noticed this roughness at highway speed. I really have to be paying attention to feel it, it is slight, but it is definitely there SOMETIMES!! Also when I am experiencing the rought idle the ticking sound is certainly louder. Have taken the truck to the dealer twice, they could reproduce the issue, they did change the converter but did not correct this issue. Going to leave the truck with the dealer for several days while I am on vacation and told them to let one of their two most experienced techs drive it as a personal vehicle during that time. Hope they can find something. Right now I have 10k on it but its been doing this since around 5k. Considering purchasing extended warranty on this truck just in case. Sure would appreciate any information that anyone may have on this!! Thanks
Old 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM
New User

Sugars Pop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ticking is normal according to Ford and is related to the high pressure fuel pump noted a couple times in this tread.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 PM
New User

012 FX4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the follow up Sugar Pops! I believe that I know the ticking that you are referring to and mine certainly has that tick of the high pressure fuel system but occassionally mine gets noticeably louder and as I said the engine roughness accompanies the noise.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM
New User

JeffHerd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just joined the site, and I to have noticed my 2013 F150 Ecoboost ticks at idle. Glad I found this post. Thanks all for the info!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)

Tags
chip, computer, ecoboost, engine, f150, ford, forum, idle, loud, nitrous, noise, programmer, sound, tick, ticking