EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Truth About Trucks - Ecoboost

Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 08SDGal
They did this because alot of people would change, or have the trans fluid changed, and the incorrect fluid was put in. In modern automatics, the correct fluid is so critical, that they wanted to eliminate the common "big dummy" moment.

We all have to remember that the dummy who uses the wrong fluid, and the trans fails, will badmouth Ford all over the internet. It is never "our" fault. With the way that news travels on the internet, it doesn't matter if the truth eventually always comes out in these threads. The perception is already implanted in peoples minds. Case in point, the spark plug issue which only happened to less than 1% of the trucks out there. Yet, to read on the internet, spark plugs are flying out of heads, through hoods, and killing people ***** nilly.

So, due to the dumbness of the few, the majority get something taken away.
It is amazing how gullible some people can be in some circumstances.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:51 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by shortride
It is amazing how gullible some people can be in some circumstances.
Very true. But sites like FTE were born from people with issues. It's normal to read all the horror stories on FTE and lose proper perspective on what's really happened. It really ticks me off when a person makes a buying decision based on unproven opinions.

I wonder how many folks have steered clear of the ecoboost engines because of a few issues being discussed here? Granted, these issues are real and are happening to our cyber friends but are likely the exception and not the rule.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 PM
schrod
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The funny thing about 10K oil changes is that you'll never find that in black and white in the owner' guides.
Sorry tseekins, but it is in there in black and white!!! Better go back and read it again.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:43 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by schrod
Sorry tseekins, but it is in there in black and white!!! Better go back and read it again.
My owner's guide is very ambiguous. Perhaps you can hold my hand and lead me to exact page.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:38 PM
stagalv
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You also have to realize that the F-150 is such as popular vehicle that when you hear of a problem it may only be a small fraction of vehicles that actuall have the problem.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:01 PM
schrod
Tuned
My owner's guide is very ambiguous. Perhaps you can hold my hand and lead me to exact page.
Try finding "Scheduled Maintenance on page 432.
We are suppose to let the computer determine the correct change interval. It takes many things into account. Reading does enlighten the mind.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by schrod
Try finding "Scheduled Maintenance on page 432.
We are suppose to let the computer determine the correct change interval. It takes many things into account. Reading does enlighten the mind.
"It can be up to 10,000 miles". I read the guide after buying my truck, re-read it and just read page 432 again not 2 minutes ago.

It also says that if the message center becomes inoperable, the change interval is 5000 miles.

Sounds a little ambiguous to me.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 AM
schrod
Tuned
"It can be up to 10,000 miles". I read the guide after buying my truck, re-read it and just read page 432 again not 2 minutes ago.

It also says that if the message center becomes inoperable, the change interval is 5000 miles.

Sounds a little ambiguous to me.
The reason for changing the oil @ 5000 miles if your message center becomes inoperative is the failsafe. Not being able to input all the variables of engine temp, ambient temp, how dirty the air filter is, etc, etc, it falls back to 5000 for safety purposes. I would not consider this as ambiguous, only to err on the cautious side if however remotely the message center were to collapse.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Kelvininin
Cross-Country
This isn't the stone age of the ICE and lubricants anymore folks. The old oil change interval of motor oil, and general engine fluids use to be dictated by the life of the additive package of said fluid. Manufacturers always suggest change frequencies that are very conservative. Much like the vehicle, themselves these engine fluids have advanced. Modern additive packages last well beyond the recommended change interval, even in the harshest of operating conditions. In the case of the Ecoboost, Ford developed a rather complex algorithm that takes into account a great deal of engine data to calculate engine oil life and do so in a conservative fashion. They engineers at Ford even designed the maintenance intervals to be dictated by the number of oil changes. They wouldn't do this if they were not damn sure it was going to work. In this day and age where everyone and their kids are sue happy, this isn't something that the folks behind the oval take lightly. I for one plan on going by the algorithm Ford designed. It sees a hell of a lot more engine data than I do.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:07 AM
schrod
Tuned
Kelvininin, thank you for saying it so well. This is what I was trying to convey but I am not as lustrous with putting my thoughts down. Thanks again.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Kelvininin
Cross-Country
GM converted a gasoline engine to diesel a few years back so why couldn't Ford do it?
Actually both the 5.7L and the 4.3L GM diesel where not converted gas engines, they were ground up designed engines, the caveat was they had to fit in place of existing engines and use as much of the same tooling as possible. If you pulled the oil pan on a olds diesel engine, they look more like a 454 from the under side with 4 bolt mains and forged cranks. Where GM went wrong with these diesel engines was insufficient oil water separation on the fuel and not enough head bolts on V8. The 4.3L was actually a pretty good engine but by the time it was in production the damage was done.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have no scientific evidence that the oil I used (Amsoil full synthetic) contributed to the 211,000 miles I put on a 1994 Honda Goldwing. I did every riding season send a used 3500 mile oil sample to Blackstone Laboratories for analysis.

This picture was taken the day I traded for a 2003 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic. That's my '04 STX in the background.

You traded a Goldwing for a Harley????....Momentary lapse of reason?

Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
You know I really like these videos...I remember seeing one about the F150 with a boat on the ramp pulling it out. I can't seem to find that one. Turbos have sure come a long way! I remember having the V6 turbo motor from the Buick regal...that was a fun motor but you could easily lit a cigarette on the turbo after shutting it down.

Edit:

Here is the one I liked.

2011 EcoBoost Maximum Towing with Low RPM.mp4 - YouTube

Old 03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
You know I really like these videos...I remember seeing one about the F150 with a boat on the ramp pulling it out. I can't seem to find that one. Turbos have sure come a long way! I remember having the V6 turbo motor from the Buick regal...that was a fun motor but you could easily lit a cigarette on the turbo after shutting it down.

Edit:

Here is the one I liked.

2011 EcoBoost Maximum Towing with Low RPM.mp4 - YouTube
I sure as hell hope the cam phasers on the EB are more reliable than those on the 5.4L 3V.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Our local boat ramp looks a lot like this..I have even seen raised 4x4's sliding down the ramp trying to lower their boat into the water. That guy had a loaded boat with people in it and he could not get traction!! I backed in and left with not even a hiccup in my Sequoia. The guy was stopped and was just sliding backwards...the ramp was just wet not full of algae...bad choice in tires I guess!

I think it would be fun to pull the boat out of the water at idle all the way out...lol