1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Why no Eco boost for the econoline?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 AM
sixing
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no Eco boost for the econoline?

Been checking out the eco boost 3.5L engine. Are there any plans to offer this in an Econoline? This seems to be a good replacement for the gas guzzling 6.8 V10. How they got 420 lb ft of torque out of this engine is amazing. I think my 99 E350 V10 was rated @ less horsepower and torque than this engine. Also, why no 6speed tranny for the Econoline?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:57 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Because the Econoline is going away soon. No sense spending big bucks to update it just to stop building it.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Rico47635
Elder User
Whaddya mean it's going away? Link please.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
The E Series will be replaced with Ford's Transit, not to be confused with the Transit Connect already on USA streets. It resembles Freightliner's Sprinter and from what I've seen and read its been widely used in Europe for some time now. Supposed to be be introduced in model year 2013 so snap the E's up before they're gone just like Pinto's, Maverick's etc etc!

A Google seach will give you a few directions to head---there was a thread here a year or so ago, not sure exactly when though.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 AM
86scotty
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check this out, and they've been making it over there since 1965! Check out the Wiki.
Just amazing to me that we can get big, strong v-8s over here but can't get a decent fuel efficient diesel van. Yes there is the sprinter, but it's nowhere near as durable as the econolines. I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on both (I drive for Fedex) and i can tell you this without a doubt. I would love to have a sprinter personally but can't afford one. And no, it wouldn't pull my Airstream, but with a lwb sprinter, i'd probably just convert it to a camper and sell the Airstream. The Sprinters (and Transit i'm sure) are FAST!, smooth, quiet, big, everything you need except towing capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DrmU9SXi7Q

Last edited by 86scotty; 09-28-2011 at 08:33 AM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 09-28-2011, 06:21 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Looks good to me, I was checking out the (U.K.) RV world and found alot of cool camper vans and convertions. Ill take the red one in the video with a sideways 4.6/5.4...........

Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't that (otherwise neat) thing a front wheel drive?

How's that gonna work towing a travel trailer?

Old 10-01-2011, 06:31 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
From the Wiki page:

From launch, the Transit has never been officially sold in North America—despite the third generation being largely developed in Dearborn by Ford of Europe engineers.[citation needed] The model's only foray into the Americas so far has been in Mexico where the Transit debuted in 2007.

<O</O
Ford has stated that the fourth generation Transit platform will be global, also acting as a replacement for the long running E-Series range in the United States<ST1</ST1. It is expected to be released by 2012. In the interim, Ford introduced the smaller, mechanically unrelated Transit Connect to the North American market for the 2010 model year.

<O</O
Due to its four cylinder diesel engines, manual transmission, lower weight and more aerodynamic design, the Transit is considerably more fuel efficient, although less powerful than the E-Series, which is a mainstay with a V8 and automatic transmission. Currently the E-Series competes in North America with the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter—one of the Transit's main rivals in Europe<ST1</ST1

And from a link within the Wiki page:

Econoline, Transit: After decades of flirting with the idea, Ford plans to move to a single global full-size van platform. The van, code-named V363, will be based on the Transit van now sold in <ST1Europe</ST1. The Transit is available in a variety of sizes and configurations, including FWD and RWD.
<O</O
The North American Transit is expected to go into production for the 2012 model year at Ford's assembly plant in Avon Lake, Ohio which now produces the E-Series van. The E-Series, also called the Econoline, is expected to be discontinued<ST1</ST1 production of the Transit begins.
<O</O

Sources said Ford expects global Transit volume of between 400,000 and 500,000 vans annually.

Link: Ford USA To Draw on European Lineup for Improved Fuel-Efficiency, Profitability - AutoObserver<O</O
<O</O

I can't help thinking the RWD platform will have similar drive train options such as exist for the E Series now. Big engines, heavy towing and cargo handling capacities---this is America for cripes sakes!

What we call full sized vans are a mainstay of so many trades and something will replace them-----its too huge a market to not attempt to fill. Since I'm now shopping the new-to-me market for an E350 extended body and maybe a V10 I'm curious how the used truck market will be affected once the current E Series are no longer available.

Given the Transit is already in Mexico I'm sure companies like Adrian, Weather Guard and American Van have templates ready to go for upfitting things like ladder racks, interior shelving packages and every other value added product currently available for van. In fact most manufacturers of similar products have separate catalog pages for Sprinter's which suggests they too believe Ford Transit market will be strong.

Being in the windshield biz I look at the billboard-sized front glass and know sticker shock is coming for new owners. In fact most other glass shops will need a Transit or Sprinter just to haul those windshields.

Currently the Sprinter glass is supplied in large cardboard boxes since handling, transporting and storing them requires much different equipment than most of us have. It'll be challenge that's for sure!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:57 PM
tomasz646
Junior User
Ok guys like was thinking when i move to US ( original from Poland ) about 8 years ago i was suprize about vans here, i was use a transit vans and mercedes benz vans as well here introduce as dodge sprinter, but like those small delivery ford cars we use them in Europe and they have great mileg and life, ford transit its nice runs better then any e-150 ( i own one offcourse and i love it ) less less in fuel etc, as other brands like sprinter ( my father got one as like camper one runns on diesel lil noisy compare to my e-150 5.4 v8 ) and funny think in europe diesel its more cheaper then gasoline here in US the prices are really close diesel and gasoline , diesel was more even then gasoline, so i cant wait for new ford lines but it will be preety the same price as freightliner it will be expencive, US have to save on energy and fuel, but i dont know why they didnt let the sprinter with mercedes benz brand in US it is a benz so why to change the name, and i also hope for second lil smaller version of mercedes benz vito that will be perfect car also as a van and its nice as family car and all those cars are very economical so lets wait they are comming cars from europe, look at that smart car lol slowly but US will accept same maybe even better performance less fuel consumption i think nice shapes and looks in couple years, not every time bigger its better ( im talkin about engines lol ) take care guys

Old 10-03-2011, 08:58 PM
tomasz646
Junior User
and im sorry for my english still learning and i can do some errors in posts thank you for understanding

Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by tomasz646
and im sorry for my english still learning and i can do some errors in posts thank you for understanding
No worries Tomasz------even many of us native Americans stuggle with English ourselves!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 AM
86scotty
Senior User
Lol, ain't that the truth JWA! At least he's gracious and he's trying!

Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
The EPA is the reason for no economical diesels, there is a limit as to how many a manufacture can produce, very few for passenger cars, the commercial market is a little lax. They claim it's the largest polluter, yet it happens to be the most efficient, until they load it down with all the required air scrubbing equipment, the new requirement is the diesel is to produce "NO" emissions, you should be able to run the exhaust into the vehicle. This cornball plan would kill a gas engine but hey, they are not efficient and can't be made that way, it's in the design, could the oil industry be involved, who knows.
The Sprinter has a 2.7 liter turbo diesel, too small for it's size, that's the biggest killer to it, Ford drove off it's commercial market with that piece of garbage 6.0, then no diesel was offered after that, driving customers to GM, I'm sure you've seen the ambulances, Ford used to dominate the market. I still don't see many Sprinters, people don't want them, the Ford version that replaces the Econoline will likely save GM, because it is like the Sprinter, why would anyone want it when they are already trying to avoid that design?
I was impressed with the Ford Transit on Top Gear, Jeremy was bashing it, but had to give it credit when it was sent to the road course in Germany, they raced it around the course with the other drivers, not only did it not tip over, but got impressive times for it's size. No, I still don't want one, but the earlier ones looked kind of cool.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by 86scotty
Lol, ain't that the truth JWA! At least he's gracious and he's trying!
Spot on Scotty------the effort should be applauded and wouldn't we want the same patience shown if we weren't writing in our first language.

Besides its interesting to hear from someone whose dealt with something similar to what we might encounter in the near future.

On this same note though casual conversation with a Ford parts guy suggested they've not yet been made aware of the Econoline's being replaced completely in the 2013 model year. While that's certainly not definite proof of anything I thought it was somewhat amazing actual Ford dealership employees didn't know much about an impending change such as the Transit coming online and when. Its highly unlikely Ford would produce each for very long simultaneously----this certainly bears watching more closely.

I would add though this same parts guy was a bit stunned Ford had somewhat walked away from the Crown Victoria domination in taxi cabs, highway patrol and most city police departments. He shared they were a constant source of repairs out of warranty given their somewhat severe duty use. GM did this years before which amazed me but Chrysler stepped into the law enforcement market and is probably reaping a financial benefit. Wonder how long before all the cops are running around in mini vans from Hyundai or ?????

Maybe the E Series will be with us a few years longer??

Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 AM
86scotty
Senior User
I hope so, and I've already noted that I work for Fedex, and similar to the Ford parts guy, the company doesn't tell us anything. Not about vehicles I mean, but big changes or news, the employees never get anymore. I usually learn about major changes from the news or customers before anyone tells us. Kind of frustrating how big companies make their own emps look like fools.