Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Freshman User

Iron Horse 1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
DPF TROUBLE SIGNs ????

I have a 08 f350 6.4 , my question is what signs or symptons would I encounter if my dpf was full or clogged ? Last regen it was making what appears to be white/grayish color smoke. Would it also affect mileage ?,and i'm not talking about the re-gen . With the current re-call from Ford in regards to the computer flash, it will only tell you when it goes into regen. but never when finnished unlike when i first recieved the truck.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Post Fiend

cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
try a 3000 rpm runup and look for a black cloud.
you dont say were your are or what the current weather is but it sounds more like a possible charge air cooler issue
mods arp,egr delete, tuned, 91 gallon RDS fuel tank.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Postmaster

StanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to beholdStanleyZ is a splendid one to behold
If you notice when it goes into Cleaning you can check the statrus by pressing the middle button on the information screen and then the top button. It will cycle through some system checks and then say "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER". Of course when it's done cleaning it won't say that anymore, it will just do the system checks. Also, if you will watch the Average MPG screen as you drive you will notice it drop a couple tenths when the cleaning begins. I found seeing that was easier than seeing the CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER notice flash on for 3 seconds or whatever it is.

GONE NOW:2008 DRW CC deleted and tuned. Bullet proofed motor and built transmission, totaled by a drunk old woman. I miss it. 2001 F250 4X4, loaded with stuff and a great truck but my big 5er was just too much to handle for her.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:14 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
so how many miles are on the truck anyway? Hours as well.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
New User

rentacop911 is starting off with a positive reputation.
rentacop911

I was under the impression "some" white/gray smoke during regen was normal? My 2010 has smoked for approx. 30sec to 1 min at the begining of the regen process since it was new. No codes....No making oil....etc.....etc....
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentacop911 View Post
I was under the impression "some" white/gray smoke during regen was normal? My 2010 has smoked for approx. 30sec to 1 min at the begining of the regen process since it was new. No codes....No making oil....etc.....etc....

It is possible depending upon how cold your exhaust system is and the ambient temps outside.

Previous Truck 2008 F250 6.4 with lots of upgrades and a suspension upgrade from Torklift International StableLoads
Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Freshman User

Iron Horse 1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck resides in CT. the good ol TAX STATE. Anyway the truck has just over 30,000 miles and hours was around 1500+. Yes i have noticed the fuel suck down when it its regen. My truck has 3/73 gearing ,auto trans, stock tires 18in, new recently thanks to Continental and NO new contis now. i am equiped w/ Banks 6gun system but I am really itching towards a DPF delete an tuner someday . And i just went past Ford warranty so i am past 5 yr. 30,000 mile go figure. Radiator O ring issue had just happended now repaired by dealer.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 PM

over 1500 hours...you do alot of idleing then? I am just at 56K and 1450 hours.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Freshman User

mccarterjg is starting off with a positive reputation.
an other regen indicator is cruise around 55 and reset your fuel mileage if it jumps to 7-12 then starts to round to 10 then it's in a regen, and if its not it should jump to 14-27 mpg then round off to 17

or when you accelerate it will be very reluctant to boost above 20psi instead of 30 so easily when it isn't doing a regen.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Posting Guru

caprang is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
typically "signs" of a bad DPF are black tailpipes. these engines should not produce soot/smoke and technically shouldnt have any soot in the tailpipes either so long as you are getting it hot enough to complete regular regens.
With that said, I have already had a DPF replaced but after 5,000 miles my pipes turned black again. 1 dealer told me its normal, another said I dont drive the truck often enough (even though I work it hard when I do drive it), and the most recent dealer told me its due to poor fuel quality and I should use Ford's cetane booster. When I said I use DK with every tank their only reply was "but thats not Fords brand".
Its frustrating because I think their answers are false but if the dealer wont admit theres a problem, then there isnt a problem. same way if a referee doesnt call a facemask penalty, there wasnt a facemask. End of story.
Job #3 build, 2" leveling kit, rear air bags, smoked cab lights and mirror lenses
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 PM