Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

2002 Explorer

Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
knash0727
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Explorer

Well I posted this in the explorer forum too but I figured I would ask here too.

I got a 2002 Explorer with the 4.6 V8 2WD. My fiance just had the brake pads replaced and when the guy was changing the pads he said the ball joints need to be replaced. When it is rolling the truck makes an aweful squeaking/squealing noise, and when the wheel is turned there is a tremor in the steering wheel. So question #1, does this sound like it is only the ball joints? #2, Can I replace the front then wait a bit then do the back? #3, I am a broke college student so the cheaper the better, that being said, I have read that for the uppers you have to replace the upper control arm, but parts houses have the ball joint separate, so in order to save money can I just press out and press in the ball joints?

I am sorry for so many questions, but I have never worked on one of these trucks. I am used to my 85 and 96 F250s. lol
Thanks for any help I can get.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by knash0727
Well I posted this in the explorer forum too but I figured I would ask here too.

I got a 2002 Explorer with the 4.6 V8 2WD. My fiance just had the brake pads replaced and when the guy was changing the pads he said the ball joints need to be replaced. When it is rolling the truck makes an aweful squeaking/squealing noise, and when the wheel is turned there is a tremor in the steering wheel. So question #1, does this sound like it is only the ball joints? #2, Can I replace the front then wait a bit then do the back? #3, I am a broke college student so the cheaper the better, that being said, I have read that for the uppers you have to replace the upper control arm, but parts houses have the ball joint separate, so in order to save money can I just press out and press in the ball joints?

I am sorry for so many questions, but I have never worked on one of these trucks. I am used to my 85 and 96 F250s. lol
Thanks for any help I can get.
Generally I have found that the rear end is normally the squeaker in the explorer. However if the grease sleaves are worn out, get under there on the front then lube em up with a grease gun asap. If the ball joints need to be changed out on the front best I can remember was i paid about 700 for parts. Check to make sure that the PS pump has pleanty of fluid too.

Those other boys in the other thread should be helping you out. I will try and find that post.