Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

King Ranch Leather

Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 PM
mtravis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King Ranch Leather

My wife left my sunroof open last night, so of course it rained all day. I had no idea. The leather is not looking good, neither is our relationship. I dont know if it damaged to heated or air conditioned seats but the leather looks terrible. Please someone tell me how to fix it.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I realize you're upset, but your leather seats can be replaced. Your marriage can't.

Leather seats for the King Ranch SuperCrew only (if equipped)
Your vehicle is equipped with seating covered in premium, top-grain leather which is extremely durable, but still requires special care and maintenance in order to ensure longevity and comfort.
Regular cleaning and conditioning will maintain the appearance of the leather. Failure to care for the leather can result in drying out and fading of the material.
Note: In some instances, color or dye transfer can occur when wet clothing comes in contact with leather upholstery. If this occurs, the leather should be cleaned immediately to avoid permanent staining.
Cleaning
For dirt, use a vacuum cleaner then use a clean, damp cloth or soft brush. For routine cleaning, wipe the surface with a soft, damp cloth. For more thorough cleaning, wipe the surface with a mild soap. If the leather cannot be completely cleaned using a mild soap and water solution, the leather may be cleaned using a commercially available cleaning product “Tanners Preserve Leather Cleaner” and a 3M “Type T” scrubbing pad.
• Clean spills as quickly as possible.
• Test any cleaner or stain remover on an inconspicuous part of the leather as cleaners may darken the leather. For more specific cleaning information, contact the King Ranch Saddle Shop at 1–800–282–KING (5464).
• Do not spill coffee, ketchup, mustard, orange juice or oil-based products on the leather as they may permanently stain the leather.
• Do not use household cleaning products, alcohol solutions, solvents or cleaners intended for rubber, vinyl or plastics.
Scratches
Natural Markings - Because the leather in the seat comes from genuine steer hides, there will be evidence of naturally occurring markings, such as small scars. These markings give character to the seating covers and should be considered as proof of a genuine leather product.
In order to lessen the appearance of certain scratches and other wear marks, apply conditioner on the affected area following the same instructions as in the Conditioning section.
Conditioning
Bottles of King Ranch Leather Conditioner are available at the King Ranch Saddle Shop. Visit the Web site at http://www.krsaddleshop.com[/B]]King Ranch Saddle Shop, or telephone (in the United States) 1–800–282–KING (5464). If you are unable to obtain King Ranch Leather Conditioner, use another premium leather conditioner.
• Apply your first conditioning treatment within six months of taking delivery of your vehicle. Condition twice yearly in order to replenish lost oils and revitalize the aroma, suppleness and resilience of the leather.
• Clean the surfaces using the steps outlined in the Cleaning section.
• Ensure the leather is dry then apply a nickel-sized amount of conditioner to a clean, dry cloth
• Rub the conditioner into leather until it disappears. Allow the conditioner to dry and repeat the process for the entire interior. If a film appears, wipe off film with a dry, clean cloth.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
3putt
Senior User
Originally Posted by mtravis
My wife left my sunroof open last night, so of course it rained all day. I had no idea. The leather is not looking good, neither is our relationship. I dont know if it damaged to heated or air conditioned seats but the leather looks terrible. Please someone tell me how to fix it.
Wow; I feel your pain. all that water on wonderful seats. If it were me, I would towel dry as much as possible and then put a lot of conditioner into the leather and allow everything to dry. Hopefully the conditioner will allow the seats to dry without the leather getting hard. I would continue to put conditioner into the leather; maybe once a week until you are convinced the leather will stay soft. This is all just a guess and hopefully you will find an expert in leather that has already been down that road.

Such a shame; the King Ranch leather is unlike any other. Best of luck.

nice post by shotgunz regarding standard care of this fine leather. Great advice there.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's saddle leather, so like he said, let it dry, go to your local tack/farm/feed store and get some NEATSFOOT OIL. It is like mink oil but will not darken the leather. Just keep rubbing it in.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:46 AM
mtravis
New User
Thanks guys i appreciate the help. I told my wife it was ok an i still loved her. Lol I felt bad for her. But its coming out some, its just gonna take time to work it all in. Ive used a mild detergent an water, an lexor so far an it has lightened up. Ill def try the mink oil cause if i couldn't get em all out i was gonna take a wet rag an basically stain the rest of the seats to at least make em all match.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:54 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
No no use NEATSFOOT OIL. I was saying Mink Oil will DARKEN your leather. It's only for use on leather that is already pretty dark in color.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:02 AM
mtravis
New User
Ok i see. But one of the problems is the water stains made the seats extremely dark. An the rest is a light brown. So i may actually need to darken it if i wanna try to make em match up all over

Old 09-27-2011, 11:28 AM
mtravis
New User
Haha right

Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
That's how my mustangs leather got dried and cracked. Previous owner left the darn windows open.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:05 PM
mtravis
New User
Well im cleaning an conditioning the heck out of these. So i think ill save em.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be a bit concerned for the potential mold that can developed under the carpet as well. If you have kids I don’t think you want yourself and them breathing stale air. It sounds like an insurance claim may be in order to get your truck back into the condition it should be. Never take risks with airborne contaimination.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:59 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I also used Neatsfoot oil on my old KR leather. I tried the KR conditioner as well, pretty expensive. I got a 32 oz bottle of Neatsfoot oil at TSC for like $10? I sure do miss that KR smell.... Good luck!