6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Transmission HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:29 AM
vlietracer64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission HELP

I need help, back in Feb. of this year I installed a ford factory remain tranny in my 04 F250, a month or so after that I installed the “power hungry performance” ECM/TCM rollback as well as their FICM flash hoping to get the performance my truck original had before all of fords detune flashes. After that I had towed my friends camper home from camp on memorial day weekend, Was doing about 40 mph in tow haul when I crested a hill heading down truck downshifted, started to gain a little speed, lightly applied brake and truck then down shifted again around or just under 40 mph with rpm’s 2,500 – 3,000 range, in to 2nd gear. held steady rpms then rpms dropped to idle and seemed like truck free wheeled then it re-engaged rpms shot back to 2,500 – 3,000 range. at this time at bottom of hill, started to accelerate and truck would not shift out of that gear, let off and coasted till rpms lowered, accelerated aging and still would not up-shift, pushed button to turn tow/hall off it then up-shifted but light started flashing, went the 2 blocks home and pulled these 2 codes.
P0730 Incorrect gear ratio
P2704 Transmission Friction Element E Apply time Range/Performance

Have not had it happen in a while but have not had the truck in a downhill loaded situation in a while. Today using eric's unlimited tow tune I was towing my dump trailer with skid steer in it prob total weight around 10K, was going on the on ramp and steeped on it pretty good where it should have down shifted and it seemed to upshift or maybe lock converter and then down shifted and got stuck in 2nd. turned tow haul off then upshifted and light blinked, restarted truck, finishing my trip home while coming down steep hill by my house truck down shifted in to 2nd in tow haul mode and rpm’s creped up around 3k and then they dropped, tranny reengaged and did it again till I hit the town haul button, light was blinking, checked codes with my Auto Engunity and got
P0730 Incorrect gear ratio
P2704 Transmission Friction Element E Apply time Range/Performance
Again.

Any clue what is could be, just not sure if PHP has me on the wrong base program an that is the cause, I have written them over 6 times the first few resposives from bill at php was that they have never heard of it and would send me a different tcm calb. to use on the sct and try, if it worked they would then send me the writer to reflash the ecm/tcm. But then for the last 6 months they fell off the face of the earth and dont care since they already got my money, Cutomer service "no such thing"... sent almost everyone listed on the web page an copy of the email hoping i could at least get aknlodged but nothing.

The tranny is under warrantee but if I go to ford they will only consider it if I do their latest flash and then my tunes will be no good, and their only a month old. Not sure how the tuners work do they modify or actually remove the program in the ECM/TCM and reinstall the new tune? Would the wrong strategy for my truck do this, do you know of any gear ratio changes in the torque shift tranny that would cause this if I got a newer remain.
Thanks For any help

Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
at tis point, i'd reset everything back to stock and reflash to ford specs. tats my suggestion. it may correct ur probs, it may not. from the sound of it, the tune u had on was probably confusing ur tranny. when it's confused, it tends to burp.

hence, my suggestion of going back entirely to stock and reflashing to ford specs, and then seeing if it burps anymore. if not, then ur tune was probably causing the prob.

have u performed any service on ur tranny. if not, now may be the time to do it, cos the tranny internal temp does play tricks wif the tranny itself. if the module is confused, the entire car gets confused.

sorry if i sound out-of-whack, it's been a long day and i've been having soda. i'm diabetic. dang. lol. i'm jus trying to throw some ideas out there. i'm sure the rest will chime in.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
My first thought is that something is wrong with the aftermarket software. Whenever I see transmission problems with a tuner I always suspect the tuner. Go back to stock and see if it still does this.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
My first thought is that something is wrong with the aftermarket software. Whenever I see transmission problems with a tuner I always suspect the tuner. Go back to stock and see if it still does this.
mark, is it really tat bad? can a tuner really screw up ur transmission? i thought it would screw up the engine first, right?

i thought it would jus cause mass hysteria or confusion to the tranny. but i'm getting the impression it might be more than that.

Last edited by Snuggyworm; 09-27-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add more
Old 09-28-2011, 10:56 PM
vlietracer64
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky

Problem is that my stock program is a "power Hungry Performance" ECM TCM rollback program, my stragety when i installed tranny and did not see to come across any problems was VXAP2N2, now its VXAM7N2 after the rollback, Matt from gearhead has been more than helpful and to try to rule if it is a bad stragety for my truck he is writing me new tunes based off my orgional stragety of VXAP2N2 to see if it helps, if not i will sent it to ford for latest flash and check over my factory reman. installed feb of 2011.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 PM
vlietracer64
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
mark, is it really tat bad? can a tuner really screw up ur transmission? i thought it would screw up the engine first, right?

i thought it would jus cause mass hysteria or confusion to the tranny. but i'm getting the impression it might be more than that.
I would imagine that since the tranny is 100% computer controlled with the except of parking pin lol, a bad program could do some serious damage.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
mark, is it really tat bad? can a tuner really screw up ur transmission? i thought it would screw up the engine first, right? .

A Bulley Dog/Edge programmer will KILL a torq shift in no time

I would think a Corrupt program will take one out pretty quick too

as far as the engine they handle a tunner as long as you have ARP Studs installed stretching the stock head bolts is the big thing here with the moter

Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BLADE35
A Bulley Dog/Edge programmer will KILL a torq shift in no time

I would think a Corrupt program will take one out pretty quick too

as far as the engine they handle a tunner as long as you have ARP Studs installed stretching the stock head bolts is the big thing here with the moter
thanks for tat info! i did consider a bully dog once. i'm glad i don't. btw, i gave u some good rep. thanx for the info. not to sound like i'm hitting on u or anything (i dun swing tat way), but ur nice. lol.