Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Skipper of the KY Chapter

SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.SideWinder4.9l has a spectacular reputation.
Wesley R. Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankrupter View Post
Thats why I did it... all the plus's of it are added bonus. I think the ford lay out of all the motors in this body style are ugly to the point I would not pop the hood with anyone around. Some of the make shift systems I have seen on here " for cheap" are far worse ... People say 200 is too much money but what does 200 buy.... I cant even smoke cigarettes for two weeks on that money. Drop in the hat to me but I guess 200 is more money down south then it is in Boston. Wish I could work here and live there ! I'm rambling ,,, Board as all get out ... forgive me
Minimum wage in Ky is a mere $7.25 an hour...And that supports FAMILIES here....Just sayin'...

Minimum wage=Maximum bull****....

19.31 E/T @ 68.78mph in a 1/4 mile
Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPelkey View Post
Personally I picked up 1mpg on my f150 when I installed the kit. If you’re only looking for fuel economy then the only thing I can tell you is run the math. If you run the math you should find that it will pay for itself relatively quickly depending on how many miles a year you drive. When you run the numbers keep in mind the service interval on a K&N factory replacement filter is approximately 50,000 miles and the Cone filter for an intake system is approximately 100,000 miles for Hwy use. Also make sure you put your MPG increase into your equation be conservative on this nubmer say .25mpg increase. (fuel savings). You will be surprised!

If your looking for performance in which the kit is designed for then thats a no brainer install the kit and enjoy. If you take advantage of added power by driving more aggressively, you will reduce mileage. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
Most likely created by the result of replacing what was effectively a slightly dirty oem filter.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Elder User

Bankrupter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l View Post
Minimum wage in Ky is a mere $7.25 an hour...And that supports FAMILIES here....Just sayin'...

Minimum wage=Maximum bull****....
Min wage here is 8 N change. Studio apartment is 1200 a month nothing included and no parking. Horrible, horrible math problem there...

Times are tough but not enough I cant drop 200 on myself a month and worry about missing a payment. Yet Im also 36 with a 16 year old truck.. I am on the "it's work truck" side of the fence but I still care for my old girl. Frame off resto on a truck this old and worth 5 G Mint... I will never understand! Yet you see them here, often, w/o posts telling people they are off their rocker. But a good airfilter system and clean paint, I say why not. and the resto guys post dont waste the money lol
Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Post Fiend

TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'd rather spend the money on stuff my truck needs. I also would not call it a good air filtration system. The factory stuff also does a better job of that.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM
New User

88leadsled is starting off with a positive reputation.
[quote=Bankrupter;11037372]Thats why I did it... all the plus's of it are added bonus. I think the ford lay out of all the motors in this body style are ugly to the point I would not pop the hood with anyone around.

I'll take that. My truck is not a daily driver. Its my project. Most of everything will be redone/replaced on this truck
Old 08-05-2014, 02:16 PM
New User

120mm Jedi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello peoples.

What I did on my 04 Expedition 5.4l was simply remove the snorkle/restrictor that goes in to the fender wall from the air cleaner box. The snorkle had an attached large baffle chamber and small inlet oppening that seems to do nothing but make the intake quieter. Granted now I'm pulling hotter air from the engine compartment but the opening on the filter box is only inches away from the hole in the fender and the filter (large cone type) is still shielded by the box so I don't think it's a whole lot of difference in air temp. The plus side is a much larger oppening and no restriction on the air flow. After pulling the snorkle off, I've noticed a slightly more agressive sound (and I do mean slight) from the engine when reving and a slight improvment in throtle response. On these intakes there is also a resonator between the MAF and TB. It's nothing more than a bent plastic tube with another baffle chamber attached by 2 hard plastic tubes. When I find another resonator (don't want to screw up mine without a back up), I intend to cut the baffle off and seal the 2 holes as well as find a tube that fits over the oppening on the filter box to close the gap into the fender. In theory I should effectivly gain the same benefits as an after market CAI at barely a fraction of the cost.

Most of the older Ford engines have an air flow restrictor inside part of the intake. You can accomplish pretty much the same thing by simply pulling it out. There are many Utube videos on that one.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Senior User

1995F150XLT4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too, have a K&N "warm" air.

Don't expect any power gain. However, prior to installing I had a one second delay in throttle response. After installing the delay was gone. That was about the only thing I noticed. My truck also seemed to accelerate a tiny bit quicker from a stop. That's all.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Senior User

Phil Woolfson is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have used the stock replacement K&Ns in my vehicles for over 10 years now. No down side, ultimately they pay for them selves. I would not use the "cold air" system they sell for our trucks, because, especially with the 460, it becomes a hot air system. It gets pretty toasty over there, and unless you are going to blanket your exhaust, shield the filter and cut a naca duct into your driver side fender, there is no way of getting it cool. I've been toying with the idea of building a split ram air system that lives in the hood and uses 2 of the stock filters, just as soon as I come up with the ideal intake design that won't pick up either water or underhood heat.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM