Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Posting Guru

640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.
8 page 1/2 ton shootout.

Hey all.

Here's an eight page comparison of 2011 model 1/2 ton trucks.

Before you read I have to say I am a bit shocked with two things from this test...

#1 - The Critera, The only Critera was that the truck cost less than 30,000 dollers, which leaves alot of room for this to be an apples to orange's comparison. And not an apples to apples comparison.

#2 - The Results, I'm about to spoil the winner for you so if you want to find out for yourself then dont read on here.........But anyway the winner of the comparison test is Dodge Ram 1500, Second place is Toyota Tundra...Third is the Ford F-150.

Now the thing that I don't understand about this test is that the F-150 won 6 out of 8 comparisons...Yet the testers criticize it for not offering more room. The F-150 was the only truck in the test to come in a regular cab vs the other trucks extended cab option. Now generally speaking shouldn't the F-150 have won since it won 6 out of 8 comparisons while still meeting the criteria they set for it? Or do you think their choice for a winner was jest?

Comment back and let us all know what you think!

$30,000 Pickup Truck Shootout: Introduction - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports
Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
This is no doubt a most for your money comparison where multiple doors are more desirable than build quality, appearances and function.

Then again, did the tester specify the cab configuration? Or, was the price the only stipulation?

Ford could have easily sent an Scab XL truck with base XLT features and came in under 30K.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Posting Guru

640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.640 CI Aluminum FORD has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
This is no doubt a most for your money comparison where multiple doors are more desirable than build quality, appearances and function.

Then again, did the tester specify the cab configuration? Or, was the price the only stipulation?

Ford could have easily sent an Scab XL truck with base XLT features and came in under 30K.
No that's the thing. They didn't specify any cab size.

I think Fords thinking in sending a regular cab to compete in this test was that they could send one with more options because the regular cab is inherntly cheaper than the extended cab.

So it boiled down to a low optioned extended cab. Or a high optioned Regular cab.

I guess it was just a gamble by Ford and it didn't pay off in the finishing results.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 AM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985
This was a value comparison, and one trip to a Dodge dealer will tell you that these are the most truck for your money. I have no problem with this test at all, I think it makes sense for their criteria.

What's not rated is how well they hold up over time, which has always been the Ford selling point. My 2008 Dakota I drive for work has 41,000 miles on it, and just required new tie rod ends that prematurely destroyed the front tires. $500 to replace cheap tie rod ends and the truck is barely 3 years old. The balljoints are also getting loose.

So the most truck for the money may not be the best value in the long run. I like to think Dodge has made improvements in the last three years, but I think the jury is still out.

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Resident smarta$$

D8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to behold
tim.burke.167
These tests can say what they will but bottom line for me is there are 3 things I remain faithful to. (so far...) My wife, Ford trucks, and Skoal mint.
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by D8chumley View Post
These tests can say what they will but bottom line for me is there are 3 things I remain faithful to. (so far...) My wife, Ford trucks, and Skoal mint.
You're too damned funny Tim! Tried to rep ya but got the flag.

I'm sure that the powers that be at Ford are looking at this and basically saying, **** off. We sent you the best truck and you still didn't like it.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Resident smarta$$

D8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to beholdD8chumley is a splendid one to behold
tim.burke.167
Quote:

I'm sure that the powers that be at Ford are looking at this and basically saying, **** off. We sent you the best truck and you still didn't like it.
Check the visitor msg I sent you yest
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein
Old 09-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Posting Guru

flixden has a good reputation on FTE.flixden has a good reputation on FTE.flixden has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:

LOL.
I read through the test, and when coming to the end, I was wondering how the Ford could possibly not have won, it got the best mark in most tests, including the best braking performance.
Anyway, it's just a test. Opinions are involved. For what I want / need, the Ford F-150 HD payload is the BEST and ONLY out there. It is just very reassuring that the F-150 won most of the categories even in this test.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Senior User

Augster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Remember, many so called "tests" performed by third parties may have an ulterior motive and could be biased in some way, either by the reviewers themselves or the sponsor.

Obviously, given that the F-150 provided is the only "regular" cab in the "test" puts it at disadvantage when cabin amenities and accommodation are being evaluated, and it's apparent that the reviewers did not take this into consideration nor at least discuss that SuperCab and SuperCrew variants are available (whether they could have been included under the arbitrary $30k cap is debatable, depending upon whether only MSRP is considered, or "street" prices.).

We, here, on these forums, are biased as well as we are obvious (most of us) "fans," if not owners, of Ford trucks.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Poor test IMO. I want to see as close to identical trucks tested as possible right down to the gear ratio in the rear. Post the prices of each truck in the article and let the consumer decide what they want. Honestly I don't pay attention to pickuptrucks.com any longer their tests have gone to pot and the GM promotional vid participation left a bad taste in my mouth. Comparing reg cabs, SCa and CCs together with varying rearratios, base V8 vs only V8 and etc doesn't yield results that are worth the paper they are printed on IMO.

Also when you factor in the constant cost to the tax payer Dodge/RAM/Chrysler (whatever they call themselves now) the RAM is not the best value. Well unless you don't pay taxes.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition

Tags
12, 2006, 2011, bed, cap, comparison, ky, nicholasville, shoot, shootout, test, ton, toyota, truck, tundra