Notices

Which type of tonneau cover is best?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 PM
bassetlover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which type of tonneau cover is best?

I'm new here and seeking advice from seasoned Ford owners. My husband and I will soon take delivery of an F-150 Lariat EcoBoost which we'll use to pull our travel trailer. We want to have a tonneau cover installed to store extra camping gear as our 3 basset hounds will be taking over the crew cab! Which is best in terms of ease of use, watertightness, durability, etc - - - a retractable or rolling cover or one of those with the flip-up panels?? Your expert advice is appreciated - - - thanks!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 981 Posts
It's all gonna depend on your personal choice! I would look through this forum and the one down below titled "BED COVERS, TONNEAU etc. and then visit the manufacturers web sites and decide.

I am getting ready to install a new aluminum sliding cover that will replace the exact one I installed 6 years ago.... I will be posting my experiences with it after it gets here and I get it installed. Follow along if you wish......

Old 09-26-2011, 08:55 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as a retractable cover, the best two covers are TruckCoversUSA and RetraxPro. Slightly below those two is Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit.

The TCUSA cover has significantly smaller canister than RetraxPro which will give you a bit more room. The aluminum slats are interconnected (unlike RetraxPro or PE which are connected by rubber).

TCUSA is moderately difficult to install, RetraxPro is a very easy install.

TCUSA
Name:  Raptor4.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  119.3 KB

RetraxPro
Name:  RetraxPro2-1.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  129.3 KB

Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 PM
doublenot7
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like hard tonneau better for looks but you cannot haul larger loads with it installed. Like the OP though, I tow a TT and like to have lockable storage that is raccoon proof! My buddy learned the hard way his roll up cover was not 'coon proof (his fault for thinking he locked it). My F150 had an ARE on it, I was pleased with that and had the Ford logo on it also.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:19 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
This cover Peragon is weather resistant, lockable and only uses 5 inches of bed space when folded in an Scab bed. $599 delivered anywhere in the country.

Attached Images    
Old 10-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Peragon
PLATINUM SPONSOR
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bassetlover
I'm new here and seeking advice from seasoned Ford owners. My husband and I will soon take delivery of an F-150 Lariat EcoBoost which we'll use to pull our travel trailer. We want to have a tonneau cover installed to store extra camping gear as our 3 basset hounds will be taking over the crew cab! Which is best in terms of ease of use, watertightness, durability, etc - - - a retractable or rolling cover or one of those with the flip-up panels?? Your expert advice is appreciated - - - thanks!
Bassetlover -

There are a number of good cover options on the market and each one offers slightly different pros and cons. Here at Peragon we provide a compelling combination of:

- Solid aluminum with a powder coat finish.
- Quick release design without a canister so you can enjoy full use of your truck bed when needed.
- Robust security.
- Amazing customer support
- A very competitive price
- Made in the USA (northern Minnesota to be exact)

The video on our web site is about three minutes long and provides a great overview of our Peragon truck bed cover and our company. If I can help by answering any questions, please let me know!

Old 03-15-2017, 02:08 AM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts
Hi Heath, thanks for posting (2011). I've never heard of Peragon before.

What happens when someone pushes down on the seam/joint between two panels (like the panels that drop down when retracted)?

Old 03-15-2017, 05:28 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,218 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
Hi Heath, thanks for posting (2011). I've never heard of Peragon before.

What happens when someone pushes down on the seam/joint between two panels (like the panels that drop down when retracted)?
If the cover is locked then nothing. If the cover is unlocked, it will open as it slides toward the front of the truck through it's tracks.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
when i was looking for a cover the only one that returned my call with answers was Truxedo. so i went with them. the first cover was the Truxedo Lo pro-qt. i got 10 years out of it so far, with only issue the thread holding the velcro to the cover is going to need resewing on the driver side rear.
for the new truck i just got, i put the Truxedo titanium on. it has vinyl covered metal so it can not be cut open like the other roll up covers, and has a 500 lb weight rating so there is no worry about snow load bending the bows.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:01 AM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I have american rolling steel from truck covers USA. Its a bit pricey, but it fulfilled my needs. My 2011 f250 6.7 is a short bed with a auto slider hitch for our fifth wheel. I need room at the front of my bed and on the sides. This cover gave me that. Even when I turn sharp my hitch doesn't hit the side rails for the cover. The cover will support over 200lbs of weight on the top. Its pretty secure as well.