Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
100k miles on SVO - 7.3 Excursion!!

Ok, it won't officially be 100k until I'm on my way home next week, but I couldn't wait! I bought the Excursion in May of '08 and installed a 'modified' V3 'Vegistroke' system later that summer at 167k miles. I'm rolling up on 267k miles now and have yet to have any problems with the truck related to the high cholesterol diet. In fact, it dyno'ed 324HP at RRE a couple months ago and ran mid 10's in the 1/8th mile at least 14 times at the drag strip while the kids were screaming with joy in the back.

The X is all stock except for BTS trans and tunes and a van turbo. Its pulling a 13k lb Toy Hauler (home-away-from-home) around the country now and as my DD will see more miles/yr than ever. The Toy Hauler with a separate garage is going to give me a place out of sight and out of the weather to process WVO 'on the road' at camp. I have a gravity-fed CF I'll be setting up in there for filtering and a large gear pump to transfer clean oil from the garage into the truck.

My system is based on a V3 module I purchased from Frybrid. I had Frybrid build me a 40ish gal under-truck VO tank with a FB in-tank HE (heated pick-up) and I ran alum TIH from there to V3 module, then more TIH up to a 16plate FPHE on the firewall, before going to the 'test ports' on the heads. The lines from FPHE to heads are PTFE-lined SS braided hoses with JIC ends. I also have an aux coolant pump on the VO coolant loop. All of this heat gives me 180-200* VO before the heads while on the highway and I have run some nasty, HIGH-fats, partially hydrogenated oil at temps down to 0*F with no problem. There is no 'rubber hose' anywhere in this system!

Besides traveling cheaply, the best benefit I've had out of this experience is easily the dozens of 'greasy' friends I've made as I've traveled around the country. (my F350 has 140k miles on SVO as well) I'd like to thank all of them one more time for taking the time to meet with me and share your experiences (as well as a little VO ) when I got thru your neck of the woods!

FWIW, we also made B100 for a couple years (started before I got the X) using a BioPro 190. I stopped using bio-d in the PSD's after I had some issues with B100 polymerizing in my F350's fuel tank and ultimately in the heads as the truck sat overnite. This started after I got 10k miles out of a single tank of B100...

So, I would not hesitate to recommend a V3 system (from BioFuels Technologies - previously DFA, the sponsor of this forum) for a 7.3 or 6.0 PSD to anyone considering using alternative fuels. Unlike the other 'kits' on the market and the other 'fuels' people are experimenting with lately - this is a proven performer and as such is MOL guaranteed to 'get your money back'.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Congrats on that milestone. Proof that SVO is viable as a fuel, as long as it is done right. If it weren't for the fact that most of my driving is short range, (10-20 miles or less, at a time), I would go SVO. Making my own biodiesel is what works for me.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 09-24-2011, 05:56 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Good on ya Jason! I have to many rigs, so I'm a bio user like Alvin, but it is very gratifying to see somebody with those miles that has done it RIGHT on SVO!

Congrats on your milestone, and if your ever near North Central Oregon (I-84) give me a shout and I'll fill up your tank with SVO!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Postmaster

zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
Congratulations...post like that almost makes you want to stick your tongue out at those that say a PSD will only run on D#2.
2004 F250 6.0L 2WD CC "Pavement Princess"
2007 Monaco Starwood SL 31BHD
2012 Focus SEL (Wife's ride)
Old 09-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Thanks guys. I tell people this is the only hobby I've ever had that paid for itself! Lol.

Yeah, there were only a few PSD's running on VO when I started this journey - but I was lucky enough to correspond and meet with most of them before I did my first conversion.

The truth is, Jason Crawford - the father of Vegistroke - is the real reason so many of us have had the success we've enjoyed. It was him who had an epiphany while riding the lawnmower one day that began as the 'heart manifold' and evolved into the 'checkvalve design' that the latest version of his system/design, the V3, is based on. This guy's drive and ultimately the sacrifices he made for this 'niche' product are what legends are made of.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Freshman User

muns53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
x2 on the awesomeness of the V3 on a 7.3L! I've only got 60K on mine, but it's paid for itself and has enabled us to do some awesome cross-country trips in the Excursion that we never would have done otherwise. Met some great people along the way, too - like Jason.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns53 View Post
Met some great people along the way, too - like Jason.
Thanks Bud!! Right back at ya... Looking forward to seeing (3) V3-powered Excursions in the same place again this weekend!!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
190, 2558516s, 73, biopro, excursion, f350, ford, forum, idi, m55, miles, mpg, sale, svo, truck