Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should a Ford man buy a Jeep? a major ethical crossroads and how it almost killed my family

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1=us 2=ca 3=mx. That is correct on the grill, they even covered that on the history channel one day.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Archion
1=us 2=ca 3=mx.

Manufactured or delivered? I didn't think they made JKs outside of Ohio.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Manufactured, the first digit of the VIN states country of final assembly across all manufacturers.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:52 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
I am a jeep man and a ford man....I gotta admit even though I have a ford and love ford like a son, when jeep releases a 4 door rubicon w/a diesel I am going to sell my left nut for but it.

(Im going to keep my OBS too (when I get it))

Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Well the Jeep is home

I guess there is room for a Jeep in a Ford yard

And I got a gift from the tire fairy

I hate BFGs and will never run them on anything that I own so part of the deal was the Dodge dealer is going to mount a new set of tires for me. I pick up a set of 305/70/16s Fierce MTs from a local shop at an great price. I've never ran these, and I've read some good and some bad reviews, but I'll give them a try. I also found a set of chromed Pro Comp 16x10 alloy wheels at, get this, $75 ea! The only kicker is they may take a few weeks to get here. What do y'all think? These things are going to look badass on this Jeep

As for feed back on owning a Jeep. Well, as cool as it is, I'm going to have to get use to it. After driving Fords all of my life the MOPAR ergonomics are a little weird. Not that anything is placed in the "wrong" place or anything like that (headlights on the turn signal stalk, windshield wiper setup on a second stalk to the right?) but there is a learning curve. And there are just little things that get to me (like the interior lights not coming on when the doors open--but I know you can't have switches when you have removable doors). There's a fraternity with Jeep owners. It's the same with Mustangs, Total Performance era cars, and Ford trucks. Every other Rubicon owner in town has waved at us at some point. There are a lot of haters out there too. I thought it was bad driving a Mustang but I have gotten more dirty looks just driving around that anything else before. It's a little fun

Oh and the damn thing has already been in the shop. It only had 156 miles and it had a fairly bad rattle in it. We took it back to the dealer and was told that the soonest it could be seen was next month. I went back up front and raised hell with the sales manager. So they got it in that day. It was just a loose shock, not a big deal, but I guess that's what I get for not buying a Ford.

We took the front panels off at the dealers but I don't think we'll get a chance to take the top and doors off before winter hits. But next summer is going to be great! I've also have been looking for good fourwheelin' spots but there isn't many rocks to crawl in North Dakota. Over all, this was a good addition to the fleet.

Edit--the interior lights DO come on. There's a spot on the gauge light adjuster to turn them on and off with the door. Like I said, there's a learning curve

Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Gomer1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet Ride!! I have an 04 rubicon and I love it!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Plain Jane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In these uncertain times we have to do what makes economic sense. If you save a bunch of money keep us posted on the updates to your F series that you can now afford.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
you made the right choice sir!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
What yea doing with the Bf's. Need a buyer ? If you do my PM box can be found here: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...newpm&u=599242

If not ehh worth a shot. I love BF-MT's

Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by Plain Jane
In these uncertain times we have to do what makes economic sense. If you save a bunch of money keep us posted on the updates to your F series that you can now afford.
Yeah, these payments are going to slow down my other projects a little but I had to have a reliable 4x4 for the wife. I did what was right and got the best vehicle for the money. She started a new job today so that's going to free up a good bit of living expenses out of my check.

But as for my projects you can check them out here

Godzilla-my F350
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...350-build.html

And my 59 Galaxie--Project: StopGap
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-rat-rod.html

Here is the engine thread I have open for the 59
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...52-revver.html

And you can find pics of all projects in my albums
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - jokerforever's Albums

I update the threads right after I make some progress. As always, life seems to get in the way of the fun stuff.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Hey I just dug up a pic of the only other thing I owned that wasn't a Ford. This old Wagoneer was a tank but the Dodge transmission didn't have much life left in it.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by jokerforever
Will the car gods forgive me?
Well, to answer this question; NO!

We've owned this thing less than two weeks now, it has 600 miles on it and it's back in the shop for the second time. The first time wasn't a big deal. There's a rattling behind the dash. They had told me that it was a loose shock mount but it's still there and it's in the interior.

But this isn't a big deal. I understand, it's a Jeep, it's a little unrefined and that was one of the major selling points. I can get over a squeak or rattle.

What I can't get over is THIS THING ALMOST KILLED MY WIFE AND 10 MONTH OLD SON!!! The electric throttle went crazy on Saturday afternoon. My wife and son was spending the day with her parents. They were in a parking lot and when she put it in drive the engine revved by it's self and sent her, my son and her folks sailing across the lot. Luckily my wife is a good driver and was able to get it under control by popping it up into neutral. After she called me and messed with it for a little while she was able to drive it to the Dodge dealer. It was only two or three miles from were she was at but she said that it acted up the whole way. Heisted for a few seconds to go, over revving when it did, and not wanting to idle down. She had to fight it the whole way.

I hauled *** to the dealer myself. When I got there they were already checking the Jeep into service. I asked to talk to the General Manager. And when he came out I let him have it. I told him that I never should have set foot in a Dodge dealer. I told him that I can't believe a vehicle with 600 miles on it should have these problems. And I told him that I wanted my money back for this dangerous POS that they sold me. Well, he acted like a typical month piece for Dodge. Told me that they would fix it, that that is what warranties are for and they never have problems with Jeeps. To add insult to injury then he offered me a rental--a Toyota Tundra (they're a Toyota dealer too). I went off the handle on that one. This guy had the audacity to expect me to drive a Japanese pickup! I asked him if he knew that at one point in our history that we went to war with Japan and that the ancestors of Toyota's owners killed American soldiers. I had never been so insulted in my life.

So, he's trying to get a hold of the regional manager and I should meet with him later in the week. I'm going to push for them to give me my money back but I know this is a long shot. I've check the Lemon laws in this state and I don't have a leg to stand on yet but I'm keeping track of this.

So did I anger the car gods; I believe so. As Ford man should have stuck with what I know. I know this is probably a fluke. It'll probably just take a new throttle body or software reflash. But this could have been so much worst than it was. If this had happen at an intersection instead of a empty parking lot I could have lost whole my family. I have lost faith in this Jeep and in Dodge as a whole. I don't trust it to carry my family and I'm going to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Joker, now you know why I don't like any drive by wire vehicles. Look at all the issues, not just Chrysler, but Toyota and others. At least if the throttle sticks on my 460 I know what it is and can fix it without a reflash or other computer controlled nightmare, it's strictly mechanical.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Electrical throttle and brake equiped vehicles will become a real danger when they get older, i wonder what will the car manufacturers say when the accidents begin to occur?.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 PM
CJM8515
Posting Guru
Im sorry your wife and son almost got hurt-but welcome to one the infinite reasons I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER own a chrysler made vehicle.

Quick Reply: Should a Ford man buy a Jeep? a major ethical crossroads and how it almost killed my family