1997 F-350 Premium Sound Radio Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 10:07 PM
foresixtee
Mountain Pass
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
1997 F-350 Premium Sound Radio Wiring

Hello everyone. I've got a 1997 F-350 with Premium Sound/Factory CD Player. I managed to pick up a rather nice Pioneer DEH-X4600BT a month or so ago for a dollar. I'm looking into installing it in here as the factory unit is not exactly outstanding, which makes sense being it's a 1997.

I've found the correct adapter, and am planning on conmecting the adapter ends together when it arrives tomorrow. My question though, and one I haven't been abke to find an answer to as it seems these premium sound trucks, at least with the different harness than most, are uncommon.... what will I have to do to bypass/get the radio to work with the factory amp? I've seen people mention jumper wires and such, but nobody ever really gave much detail and the threads died.

Hopefully this is the right area, I believe it is, but may be meant for the specific bodystyle forum. I posted here due to the only other thread about this issue I could find being here. Thank you for looking and any replies

Old 08-04-2021, 10:17 PM
madsonp
Received 75 Likes on 63 Posts
It Looks to mw like this is the adapter to use to connect it to the OEM amp, but I can't say for sure. https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...ories/bha5511r

Old 08-04-2021, 10:21 PM
foresixtee
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by madsonp
It Looks to mw like this is the adapter to use to connect it to the OEM amp, but I can't say for sure. https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalo...ories/bha5511r
That actually does look right. I'll look into that now.
I forgot to add this in post, but I believe the issue is with getting the AMP to turn on.

Old 08-05-2021, 03:33 PM
foresixtee
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by foresixtee
Hello everyone. I've got a 1997 F-350 with Premium Sound/Factory CD Player. I managed to pick up a rather nice Pioneer DEH-X4600BT a month or so ago for a dollar. I'm looking into installing it in here as the factory unit is not exactly outstanding, which makes sense being it's a 1997.

I've found the correct adapter, and am planning on conmecting the adapter ends together when it arrives tomorrow. My question though, and one I haven't been abke to find an answer to as it seems these premium sound trucks, at least with the different harness than most, are uncommon.... what will I have to do to bypass/get the radio to work with the factory amp? I've seen people mention jumper wires and such, but nobody ever really gave much detail and the threads died.

Hopefully this is the right area, I believe it is, but may be meant for the specific bodystyle forum. I posted here due to the only other thread about this issue I could find being here. Thank you for looking and any replies
I figured it out. So, in the earlier years the speakers were all on a black connector that looked identical to the main gray one.

Gray one is for everything except speakers. Speakers are all on the black. In the 97 Premium Sound setup, they changed the speaker plug. It's still only speakers, just a different plug. Amp doesn't need bypassed, it just needs a power on signal.

That Pioneer DEH-X4600BT I got has this. It's blue with a white line. I purchased the Scosche FDK10B harness adapter off of Amazon, and it had it aswell, on the opposite side of the yellow wire on the old style gray connector. It works, and quite well I must add. Hopefully this response is of use to someone facing my issue in the future. Word of advice though, I would use crimp connectors on that adapter.... solder did not stick well to some of the wires.

It's pretty much the exact same concept as the earlier years, the different connector is just scary at first. I may make a little picture guide on this in the future if any interest.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:12 PM
madsonp
Yep, all new head units have the amp turn on signal wire. Glad to hear you got everything figured out and working, getting rid of the stock system is one of the best upgrades you can do to your vehicle, thats usually the first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle. Looking forward to the photos of your install.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:59 PM
foresixtee
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by madsonp
Yep, all new head units have the amp turn on signal wire. Glad to hear you got everything figured out and working, getting rid of the stock system is one of the best upgrades you can do to your vehicle, thats usually the first thing I do when I buy a new vehicle. Looking forward to the photos of your install.
Have to iron some stuff out first. Gotta finish connecting wires and figure out why the rear speakers aren't working with the new unit but still do with factory. May get to it tonight.

I'll definitely post a picture though. I was unable to find any info on this in my initial search, before I realized it's really the same process as an older Aeronose. One thing I'll do ahead of time incase I forget to mention it along with picture.... truck harness side of the Scosche adapter blue/white amp wire was switched for the unused blue one via means of repinning, because the blue/white amp wire wouldn't take solder well enough. Just to clear up some potential confusion when I post a photo.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:45 PM
madsonp
Have to iron some stuff out first. Gotta finish connecting wires and figure out why the rear speakers aren't working with the new unit but still do with factory. May get to it tonight.

I'll definitely post a picture though. I was unable to find any info on this in my initial search, before I realized it's really the same process as an older Aeronose. One thing I'll do ahead of time incase I forget to mention it along with picture.... truck harness side of the Scosche adapter blue/white amp wire was switched for the unused blue one via means of repinning, because the blue/white amp wire wouldn't take solder well enough. Just to clear up some potential confusion when I post a photo.
I suspect the reason your wire didn't take solder is possibly the wire itself was oxidized, I'm assuming you used flux core solder.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:25 PM
foresixtee
Mountain Pass

So, I stand behind not liking this adapter. That new style connector they made for the speakers is fine, but this adapter had the pins set a little too low, you need to bend them just right to work, I had an issue with speakers not working and one being quiet, was that. May be all of them though, kind of a pain.