6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Dream Truck....Nightmare?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:55 PM
2FordHorses
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok back from the dealership,

I had them pull and OASIS report and I guess it shows nothing....Just recalls and the the EGR valve I had replaced I can see anything that states that is was a "buy-back" or a RAV. There is also a recall on my truck 11b23 PCM Recal I didn't know I even had I never got a letter....they said that at first glance the oil looks like it is leaking higher than the pan gasket, they also said that some of these oil leak problems are a "Cab-off" job.....Perfect!

Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM
2FordHorses
Freshman User
UPDATE:

Called the Ford dealership and I got to talk to the tech working on my truck: he said the oil leak is from a glow plug wiring harness that runs THROUGH one of the valve covers, (what a perfectly absurd idea) he also stated that the truck is "consuming" quite a bit of coolant, (this might be my white smoke problem) and the growing oil deal, he isn't sure, He contacted Ford Factory service dept. and they are looking in to it.... he said he hasn't heard back yet but the problem seems significant. He measured 1 inch over indicator on the dipstick using short-stick he said "no way it should do that at 47K miles! then he asked me if I ever check the fluids on the truck. I wanted to tell him "how the hell do you think I found the issue!" but I didn't....LOL! Here we go with the "blame the owner" tactic....

Old 09-28-2011, 02:46 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Sounds like they need to pressure the coolant system, look for leaks..check the EGR coolers. May need to pull them off and bench test them to be sure. that may solve the white smoke and some of growing of the oil.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:44 PM
2FordHorses
Freshman User
Senix, is your truck running a DPF or EGR delete or other mods? would you? if you have nearly irrefutable proof that by doing so, those actions would double the life expectancy of your engine and cut your repair and maintenance bills down to a quarter of what you were spending? I live in a CARB state that requires a once a year inspection of diesels....and a possibility of up to a $2500 fine if caught on the road with emissions mods....I know this subject is being beat to death and I hear a lot of people say they went through the same thing in the 70s with gas engines (which was before my time) but my thought is that it wasn't "destroying" their vehicles they were dropping a mortgage payment on....the warranty is very nearly up on this truck and its coming down to mods and risk getting caught or dealing with huge repair bills and not having the funding to pay for them.... What is your thoughts.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I really cannot answer that for you but I'd be inclined for my own truck to do just that after the warranty.

Right now I have it all on and have no issues. I like not smelling the exhaust and not leaving everything with the black soot on it. But if I were to have problems that is a different story.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Like Sennix says, thats a call only you can make. And it's a hard call. The pros and cons have been discussed at length on this forum. Your call is a bit harder than most because of where you live. Man, I love Georgia more every day. Anyway, I just did my truck with a year of warranty left. If it breaks and they deny my warranty, so be it. But, I've been a shade tree mechanic since 1958 or so and I have become convinced over the 30,000 miles I've driven this truck that the DPF technology causes serious dilution of the motor oil. That can't be good and it's worse with biodiesel which is being forced upon me more and more as I travel around the country. I read the EPA report and they acknowledge the dilution with bio but claim it has no adverse effects on a diesel engine, yah, right. If you want additional view points just read some of the posts on this forum. In the end it's your call because it is a violation of federal and in your case state law. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM
t_jones792002
New User
Originally Posted by 2FordHorses
Hey Guys,

Right now as I type the truck is sitting at a shop getting BOTH rear calipers and rotors replaced because calipers seized!!! Got the quote for that: $550 In August I had the same thing happen to the front driver side but luckly I didn't have to replace the rotor! Cost: $300

2FH

Is there anything to this?? My front driver side is really dragging right now...so much it's difficult to rotate when on a jack. It constently pulls to the left, I need to get it taken care of because I really don't wanna wear out my Trails Grapplers. I'll probably tackle the issue this weekend.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:57 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
The fact that your FX4 sticker is peeling off says enough! I would demand a new truck!

Sorry! I had to, but I wish you the best with your truck. I use to have so many issues with mine, once they were all sorted out, its as realiable as a Honda!

Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 PM
2FordHorses
Freshman User
Another Update:

I got my truck back from the dealership and I have some mixed thoughts...They fixed the oil leak, couldn't find any reason why it is consuming coolant, and no evidence of white smoke coming from the tail pipe after a 20 mile test drive....they said (printed on the bill as well) that growing 1-1.5 inches on the dip stick is normal! LMAO! I just couldn't believe it, their only recommendation was to change the oil more frequently... so I guess I am going to have to do it every 3000 miles?! That's a farce! the mech that runs his own shop thinks so too... he is going to do my next oil change and ordered a oil contamination kit one thing that I did get a "for sure" answer on was that the growing oil issue IS from regeneration of the DPF I directed that question straight to the mech that worked on my truck....I said "I know just how to fix that if you guys can't!" the mech laughed and the service counter guy said "Hah?" LOL! SO I am going to do that oil analysis to make sure there isn't any trace of glycol (anti-freeze) in it and go FULL emissions delete! everything CAT/DPF/EGR and tune. I'll play a little "catch me if ya can" with the "Green Gestapo" I'll post analysis numbers when I get them, and my new, but unwanted "mod and tune" updates...

OH as for the FX4 decals: My best friend's friend runs a air-brushing shop not far from where I live so he is going to fix it for me with what it should have been from the factory: PAINT!

Breaks: According to Ford, the brake calipers are supposed to be "serviced" every 5-10K miles which I guess means being broke down and the sliders cleaned and lubericated. (wish someone would have told me that BEFORE 3 out of 4 calipers went bad at 100 bucks per)

I'll get this truck running the way I want it to... I guess even if it "drives" me to the poor house or worse the "County Clink" LOL!

Old 10-02-2011, 02:03 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Interesting on the brakes. I have 56K and never have touched mine. Yeah the regens will make oil unless you are working the motor.

The rings around the piston fit loose because of the heavy boost this motor can put out. When properly heated they then create the correct seal.

Look for your EGR coolers or valve as leaching the coolant IMHO.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 PM
2FordHorses
Freshman User
My LAST 6.4L update:

Well I got my oil analysis back on November 16th and I said "HOLY CRAP! your GONE!!!" This is what it states as it looked on the form:

"ANALYSIS INTICATES ABNORMAL COMPONENT CONDITIONS!!! NOTED ELEMENTS are generally associated with: Piston wear, Turbocharger and/or blower wear!!!!"

53 PPM aluminium

That day I went online to check out new trucks! I found a 2010 F350 CC SRW LB FX4 Lariat with a V10! 23k on the Odo... I went to the Ford Dealership and test drove it and fell in love! Its Sterling Silver Metalic very nice truck way more options then my 2008, this thing is FULLY loaded! and Im not too sure but it seem to have more power then my 6.4L did.... Could be the 4.10 gears Vs 3.73s or there was more wrong with the PSD then I knew, I don't know... But I think I am ruined on diesels until something happenes to where they get the law requireing all this emmisions grabage repealed. but its Fords headache now and I'm loving my V10! ('Cept for MPGs LMAO!!)

Thanks for all your support through this thing guys!

2FH

Old 12-20-2011, 05:02 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Sounds like the right move in your case. Big question that will never be answered is why all the excessive wear.

Oh well, not your problem.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:03 PM
ETKMS
Elder User
I feel bad for the new owner of that truck if these issues are not taken care of before the dealer sells it...