Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Possible Future 40mpg ''hydraulic hybrid'' F-150. You're thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Possible Future 40mpg ''hydraulic hybrid'' F-150. You're thoughts?

Lets face it...Most people aren't fond of gas/electric hybrids, myself included. They paint a pretty initial picture, which is basically ''use electric around town gas engine on the highway'' as a means of saving fuel. But there are downsides to them...

#1 - The MSRP for hybrids can be as high 10,000$ more than a comparably equipped none hybrid model

#2 - Limited range on electricity, sometimes as low as 30miles.

#3 - Battery disposal.

#4 - Quirky driving mechanics.

What do you think about this? Ford is supposedly working with Hydraulics’ to create an F-150 that achive’s 40+mpg. It seems as though I remember reading another article on this that stated Ford was using a 4.6L3v V8 powered 2010 model F-150 as the test mule. I would much rather see this route be taken vs. gas/electric hybrids. I've never been a fan of gas/electric hybrids and I admit I normally cringe at even the mention of a hybrid. This is the first time I've ever felt somewhat excited at the prospect of hybrid technology in an F-150.

I'll take an paragraph from the article that explains the basics of how it works. And underneath that I'll post the whole article...Actually there are two articles on it.

(Paragraph Explanation)
Simply put, in a hydraulic hybrid the brakes capture energy otherwise lost as heat and use it to pressurize hydraulic fluid in a container called an accumulator. That stored hydraulic power then is used to supplement the hybrid's gas engine power as needed via two hydraulic pumps incorporated into a continuously variable transmission. A gas-electric hybrid accomplishes the same result with its battery and electric motor.

(Article #1)
Non-electric Ford F-150 hydraulic hybrid could get 40 mpg

(Article #2)
Ford F-150 Used to Develop 40 MPG Hydraulic Hybrid Powertrain - PickupTrucks.com News

What are you're thoughts? Sounds like everyone is gearing up to produce hybrid trucks in the future, hence the controversial Ford/Toyota parternership to produce a hybrid power train. Would you personally rather see Gas/Electric? or Gas/Hydraulic?

My vote goes for Gas/Hydraulic.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:53 AM
ebexp94
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's a great concept, and I love to hear that new technology is being explored for our trucks. In my opinion gas prices may cause a large number of us to move into smaller vehicles within the next decade. I really like the idea of keeping the gas engine in the mix while achieving high MPG numbers.

I find it a bit strange that the donor truck has a 4.6 V8. The project must have been started prior to the 2011 MY. I think the 3.7 V6 is the perfect engine for this truck, with comparable power output to the 4.6 V8 and better efficiency off the assembly line.

As the article says, "...it's been difficult to downsize and make a cost-effective system that works in passenger vehicles". So It would be many years before this technology ever reaches truck buyers like us, if it ever does. I would love to see a successful hybrid truck some time soon though.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ebexp94
I think it's a great concept, and I love to hear that new technology is being explored for our trucks. In my opinion gas prices may cause a large number of us to move into smaller vehicles within the next decade. I really like the idea of keeping the gas engine in the mix while achieving high MPG numbers.

I find it a bit strange that the donor truck has a 4.6 V8. The project must have been started prior to the 2011 MY. I think the 3.7 V6 is the perfect engine for this truck, with comparable power output to the 4.6 V8 and better efficiency off the assembly line.

As the article says, "...it's been difficult to downsize and make a cost-effective system that works in passenger vehicles". So It would be many years before this technology ever reaches truck buyers like us, if it ever does. I would love to see a successful hybrid truck some time soon though.
Yeah I think the 3.7L 5.0L and Ecoboost would be great candidates for this technology, hell why not even try it out with the 6.2L? Imagine having a 411hp 6.2L powered F-150 that gets 35mpg or so? I think this technology could be implemented into full-size pickups/SUV's while the smaller cars can continue along the gas/electric route...Either way we could save a ton of gas by doing this.

Personally I would like to see us make a switch to Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) with this technology. 40+mpg out of a truck that runs on CNG, and we could tell the big oil Sheiks to kiss our ***!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
I remember reading this a while back and it seems as tough there was some discussion here too. I think it's going to add some weight to the trucks but I think it's a better alternative than using petroleum/electric hybrid systems.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:12 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
I read about the Tonka Ford concept I believe years ago. It used Nitrogen or hydrogen tanks that looked pretty big. If it was hydrogen, the flammability may have been an issue... In any case, it appears as though this technology has been in development for several years now, so it may not be that far away. I think it's an ingenious idea. Maybe a 3 way combo would be possible? Use CNG when the power is needed, electricity in the city with the hydraulic braking technology for stop and go... A lot of stuff to engineer but with the rising cost of gas, it could be viable in the near future.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I really like the idea of putting the system in the transmission. The only additional visible component on the vehicle would be the storage tank with a couple of lines.

Now my concern is the 40 mpg. Would that be city, highway or combined? Would the system be used to supplement power when towing and climbing a 6% grade? Or will it be turned off at a certain speed?

A shocker for many that have purchased a hybrid car has been the lack of mpg on their morning commute. They are cruising on the freeway, and not in stop and go traffic where the electric hybrid really shines.

Many small cars get as good or better fuel mileage than a hybrid during highway cruise.

Would the intent be to supplement a smaller motor, or keep the bigger v8 and add the system to it. I have concerns of a smaller motor running out of power at the end of a long pull up a 6% grade. The system would have to be tested and proven on the very climbs that some owners have already had overheating issues when pulling with the ecoboost.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by msgtord
I really like the idea of putting the system in the transmission. The only additional visible component on the vehicle would be the storage tank with a couple of lines.

Now my concern is the 40 mpg. Would that be city, highway or combined? Would the system be used to supplement power when towing and climbing a 6% grade? Or will it be turned off at a certain speed?

A shocker for many that have purchased a hybrid car has been the lack of mpg on their morning commute. They are cruising on the freeway, and not in stop and go traffic where the electric hybrid really shines.

Many small cars get as good or better fuel mileage than a hybrid during highway cruise.

Would the intent be to supplement a smaller motor, or keep the bigger v8 and add the system to it. I have concerns of a smaller motor running out of power at the end of a long pull up a 6% grade. The system would have to be tested and proven on the very climbs that some owners have already had overheating issues when pulling with the ecoboost.
Well the word is that its being tested on a 2010 F-150 with the 4.6L3v V8 and that 40mpg is doable in that setup. So I think that larger engines could work with this.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Augster
Senior User
This is certainly a promising development, that if successful, could keep the F150 sufficiently powered to satisfy the performance enthusiast in us all...

Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 PM
wolf189
Senior User

i LIKE it!!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
I would own a new electric F150 if it would perform like this car. Watch the complete video.

White Zombie Datsun 1200 Electric drag car - YouTube