Sponsored by:

Removable top bronco

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:59 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgabriele
Woww that looks so hot! I would definitely want to do something like that. Safety is important and it's good to have that protection. I''m gonna need a new garage, but that's another issue haha. thanks for the idea...you've definitely given me something to think about.

Do you have any suggestions for painting/cleaning the OEM roof? Mine has all these white spots, I think the previous owner tried to wax it or something.
It looks like it's painted black but not with car paint. I don't mind it being matte but it needs to be updated.
Painting the top can be pretty easy, a good quality spray paint in a satin black looks great. Take your time and use a light grit sandpaper. Dont use cheap paint like i did cause it wont look as good.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
dgabriele
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans
Taking the top off is easy peas, i did it on my 78 recently. Imagine a picture somewhere in my post (can't post pics from my phone all too well) in my sig is a pic though. Also you can do it with 2 people. It is a bit more heavy and difficult but possible.

On the note of the seatbelts as manfred up there said go to a junkyard and steal the lap belts out of any older ford truck and replace your current belts while the top is off. Anyways i would love to do a top similar to both GS and the Zebra bronco owned by EdgeThis but i dont have any spare tops and our junkyard doesnt have much in my year.
I need to figure out where all the truck people go....I'd love to look around for parts, I just recently discovered all too easily that a random screwdriver can basically take apart most of the car. I plan to replace every screw and rusty bolt.
Awesome idea, I can't wait to try it out

Old 05-31-2012, 07:19 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Yeah there will be some bolts that will prove to be difficult. But a little determination and a hammer and you will get through.

They have this
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...d-windows.html
Won't work with seatbelts.

They do also make these
Name:  332-010.jpg
Views: 16224
Size:  11.7 KB
But they are kind of pricey, if you could get an extra bronco top i would try what Grey Streak did and still have a "top" on there but more open.

This is TGM topless
Name:  2012-05-05_095702.jpg
Views: 21164
Size:  162.5 KB

Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM
dgabriele
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GruesomeJeans

They do also make these

But they are kind of pricey, if you could get an extra bronco top i would try what Grey Streak did and still have a "top" on there but more open.
I'm definitely considering what Grey Streak did, cutting the top and all....I love a sunroof but if i can't get it from the cab, my dogs will have one.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
jimbo285
Senior User
The full fold down convertable top in the black and white picture is from 1980-1991 models. The 92-96 have the rear shoulder belts and hi mount 3rd brake light that would be rendered useless as mentioned. Cool though.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dgabriele
Woww that looks so hot! I would definitely want to do something like that. Safety is important and it's good to have that protection. I''m gonna need a new garage, but that's another issue haha. thanks for the idea...you've definitely given me something to think about.

Do you have any suggestions for painting/cleaning the OEM roof? Mine has all these white spots, I think the previous owner tried to wax it or something.
It looks like it's painted black but not with car paint. I don't mind it being matte but it needs to be updated.
I've never painted any top with anything more exciting than a good quality "rattle-can" paint. The prep you do to remove wax, dirt and other crud built up on the surface is critical. While sanding is not necessary when you consider that the OEM top is textured fiberglass to begin with. However, keep in mind that if you do decide to sand the top, you will actually begin to remove some of that texture which WILL change the appearance of the final finish.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by greystreak92
I've never painted any top with anything more exciting than a good quality "rattle-can" paint. The prep you do to remove wax, dirt and other crud built up on the surface is critical. While sanding is not necessary when you consider that the OEM top is textured fiberglass to begin with. However, keep in mind that if you do decide to sand the top, you will actually begin to remove some of that texture which WILL change the appearance of the final finish.
This is true, i forgot about the texture stuff.. I used a scotch brite pad and watered down simple green but it didn't turn out so well. It got most of the moss and other stuff off well but painting didn't go so well. It might have helped if i did it inside and not in a windy part of my house.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM
dgabriele
Freshman User
As for the convertible - I have been thinking about doing the cut out one that greystreak92 suggested/did. But it just occurred to me that people can literally pull off the window and steal anything out of the car. Right now that wouldn't be an issue, but I'm also working on a sound system and I don't want anyone taking my subwoofer or anything else of value.

Now, for painting the roof: so, since mine doesn't have any kind of buildup of moss or anything, it's just generally dirty, might have some waxy spot but mostly faded/weathered..do you think I should be fine just scrubbing it with soap and painting over it with a spray can?

Also, do you recommend removing the top to paint it or can it be done while still on the car?

I hope to get at least one of my projects underway this weekend.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Received 1,246 Likes on 940 Posts
you need to atleast do some light sanding to scuff the existing surface to give the new paint something to bond to, even a green scrach pad would work better than nothing.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 PM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
this may be a little off topic but what the hey. anyone got any ideas on what to do about a bad sunroof job the PO did on my bronc. the thing is boggered up with silicone(which looks like crap) and it still leaks.
Name:  005-2.jpg
Views: 16229
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  001-3.jpg
Views: 16234
Size:  22.7 KB

Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 372 Likes on 282 Posts
Not much you can do about a giant hole in your roof. You could have a new roof section (large flat piece of steel) welded on, shouldn't be too much since its mostly flat.

DGabriele, I don't have any issues with any messing with my truck, but you could always have an alarm with a motion sensor installed. I had one in a previous truck it worked great, not too costly.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Big_Rob
Senior User
Originally Posted by udsuth78

This is the worst job I've seen yet!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 372 Likes on 282 Posts
Is there a draft in here? Must just be me....I love this top

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62639173@N03/5701461712/http://www.flickr.com/photos/62639173@N03/5701461712/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/62639173@N03/, on Flickr

Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 PM
udsuth78
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Big_Rob
This is the worst job I've seen yet!
ya think, the sad part is that it still leaks. been rackin my brain trying to think a moderatly easy fix for it but no luck. i don't mind the sunroof, kinda like the idea, but something has to be done about it.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Big_Rob
Senior User
Originally Posted by udsuth78
ya think, the sad part is that it still leaks. been rackin my brain trying to think a moderatly easy fix for it but no luck. i don't mind the sunroof, kinda like the idea, but something has to be done about it.
Probably re-do it with a new aftermarket pop top sunroof. Or remove it and cover it vinyl/snaps

Quick Reply: Removable top bronco