1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

A very serious newb...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 PM
F1Newb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahaha You guys are cool...

I think that the exterior will stay the same. The suspension will be taken out though. I want my truck to have a nice drop to it as for the motor I need to see what I'm up against. My friend is a big Ford motor head so he gave it the thumbs up when he told me this one came up for sale.

Im really looking forward to tearing into this thing and driving something that doesnt need to be washed every time I take it out...

I do live out in Suprise Arizona I thought I added that to my User Panel..Anyways thanks for the welcome I'll post more pics as I get further along...

Old 09-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Before you do ANYTHING, take pictures. Take hundreds of pictures. And when you start taking things apart, take pictures of how the bolts are placed, how the panels line up. Every bolt should be marked like you have OCD, and all grouped and filed.

Why? Cause it takes about a month to forget where it went, let alone how it went. And it makes for a very massive head ache putting it back together. I can't tell you how many times I needed a picture of a stupid bolt placement when I was putting my Mustang back together. You'll never know what you'll need, but you can't go back to how it was. So pictures. Hundreds of them. They can be deleted when you're done but they can't be taken once it's apart!

Oh, and the pictures also really help document all the work you've done. It's very cool to be able to have an album that shows all your work. And it's EXTREMELY helpful if the worse happens and you need to prove all you did to an insurance company or judge or something. I had to on my first build, it made a difference of thousands to be able to show it.

Plus, we all like pictures. We're very picture happy people. Some of us post just to see the picture in our signature. I of course am not one of them, i post to see the picture of Abby in my avatar, lol.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome aboard! Yes this is a GREAT place to be and awesome people to associate with. By sayin we're a group of gearheads in the garage drinkin beer under the hood of a truck, is well put! Love it!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
you don't need pictures ,,my 65 T-bird is almost finished ,but I did have to buy a second bird to figger out where the damm part's went ..and what I had lost in my shop..so just get a second truck ..you will need parts and trading bit's anyhow ,,right?? and yes it is an obsession...

Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
F1Newb
Junior User
Originally Posted by kenjh
you don't need pictures ,,my 65 T-bird is almost finished ,but I did have to buy a second bird to figger out where the damm part's went ..and what I had lost in my shop..so just get a second truck ..you will need parts and trading bit's anyhow ,,right?? and yes it is an obsession...
Haha I need to let the better half know about that...

I do know that I want to rewire the truck, since I'm assuming it's still on a 6v circuit. I would like to move it to 12v. I have a feeling the auto might come out. I still need to figure out what's in there.

I know some may not like this but I really did like my 5speed I had. Has anyone been doing this? The reason why I ask is my TKO600 was nice and compact and super easy to work on. Plus it never leaked...haha

I'll try and catch up on some topics as I'm sure they have been covered..Thanks again guys

Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It should be converted to 12v already with the 302 in there.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
it's your truck..you get to do what you want...if it doesn't work you can change it ..part of the learning process, and oil leaks prevent rust ..and ease the removal process by pre-oiling ..at least that is how I look at it..why would you have to work on a new trans ??is it running yet??

Old 09-22-2011, 10:38 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Bienvenido a bordo amigo. You'll love this place, I'm also fairly new here and these guys have taught me alot. So much information that we don't really have to do alot of trial and error, because someone else already has. Being on a strict budget, you can't beat it.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:46 AM
F1Newb
Junior User
I've just had bad luck with auto's/ overdrive...If it has overdrive Im sure there is something to lock up the converter. So my luck has always been it's a hog pog setup.

To me it sounds Mickey Moused in there I mean seeing the truck from the outside and knowing it has a nice 302 with O/D?? haha Come on..

I have not been under the hood yet, I havent even walked the truck yet.. My close freind checked it out for me so I'm heading down off his word, but for the price I really dont care...

but I'll learn to be optimistic..

Old 09-22-2011, 10:52 AM
F1Newb
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
It should be converted to 12v already with the 302 in there.
Makes perfect sense actually...

You would think I would have known that but man going into Ford terrority I'm going to probably ask the dumbest questions...

Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
My eyes might be failing me, but I THINK that truck has a pretty big dent over the drivers side of the cab based on that picture. If it does, you might use that as a further bargaining chip. But as long as it's not creased too badly, it's easy to straighten back out pretty good. My 50 had a pretty big dent on the back top corner of the cab. A hammer and a dolly will do wonders.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 AM
F1Newb
Junior User
Yep I noticed that too...I know I'll sport it like that for awhile ,but your right it does look dented

Old 09-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Stephen67
Before you do ANYTHING, take pictures. Take hundreds of pictures. And when you start taking things apart, take pictures of how the bolts are placed, how the panels line up. Every bolt should be marked like you have OCD, and all grouped and filed.

Why? Cause it takes about a month to forget where it went, let alone how it went. And it makes for a very massive head ache putting it back together. I can't tell you how many times I needed a picture of a stupid bolt placement when I was putting my Mustang back together. You'll never know what you'll need, but you can't go back to how it was. So pictures. Hundreds of them. They can be deleted when you're done but they can't be taken once it's apart!

Oh, and the pictures also really help document all the work you've done. It's very cool to be able to have an album that shows all your work. And it's EXTREMELY helpful if the worse happens and you need to prove all you did to an insurance company or judge or something. I had to on my first build, it made a difference of thousands to be able to show it.

Plus, we all like pictures. We're very picture happy people. Some of us post just to see the picture in our signature. I of course am not one of them, i post to see the picture of Abby in my avatar, lol.
Welcome to FTE! And I'll second what Stephen said about taking LOTS of pictures (and Abby WhooHoo). I bought my 53 and made 3 trips to bring it all home. A lot of it in 5 gallon buckets! Finally went out and bought a 54 just to see how to put the 53 back together! LOL As said before lots of great people and info on this site and I'm sure that these trucks have been set up every which way they can be. So when you get 25 post just do a search on what you are looking for and it will come up. If not just ask here on the board. We love to give our .02 cents as much as we love to look at pics!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 PM
wilsel
Senior User
Welcome! Great, solid looking truck. I wouldn't paint it either, it has plenty of character (which is better than a shiny reflection).

Old 09-25-2011, 03:18 PM
F1Newb
Junior User
Picked it up yesterday..Wrost thing is the floor boards have to be cut out.. Someone used the truck for their junk and water just sat there...Ah well over all great shape...

It appears at one point someone was trying to restore this thing. After looking it over maybe back in the 80's..I'll get some more pics very soon

Quick Reply: A very serious newb...