1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

STP - REALLY???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 08:13 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_hound
I'm stumped now - seems like the combo you're running should block the stp-type ads. FYI, your operating system is windows 7... so... (windows) XP doesn't seem to be the only OS affected...
My son bought it for me and said it was better than the old windows xp i had. I'l ask my wife to check it out to see if my adblock is working,i thought it was because there are no other adds. But then i did become a member so the adds would go away and they did. So ,maybe that's what is keeping all of the other adds off and my Firefox Adblock is not doing it's job keeping the STP add off. JIM

Old 09-24-2011, 08:24 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "STP Ad" is not an Ad like the normal Ads seen here and elsewhere - It is a post on a forum just like what I'm writing - No Adware software is going to pick it up because it's not an "Ad"

Old 09-24-2011, 09:32 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
The "STP Ad" is not an Ad like the normal Ads seen here and elsewhere - It is a post on a forum just like what I'm writing - No Adware software is going to pick it up because it's not an "Ad"
.................................................. .................................................. ....
I was just going by what "38coupe" in post #19 said and "HT32Bsx115" said in post 28. They are claiming they don't see it by having "Firefox Adblock Plus'. The same as I have on Windows 7 . JIM

Old 09-24-2011, 12:55 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jim collins
.................................................. .................................................. ....
I was just going by what "38coupe" in post #19 said and "HT32Bsx115" said in post 28. They are claiming they don't see it by having "Firefox Adblock Plus'. The same as I have on Windows 7 . JIM
Well,

I have to also add (again) that I am running Firefox (latest version) and Adblock plus on OpenSUSE Linux 11.4 64bit.

People ask me all the time why I use Linux (for more than 13 years now!)......aside from the fact that there's around 50,000 Windows virus's and only maybe 40 Linux virus's (for Linux servers that haven't been patched in years!!) just about ALL the software for it is free. (Linux is completely FREE too)

Below are 3 examples of probably the most common and popular distributions!

Main Page - openSUSE

Homepage | Ubuntu

Fedora Project Homepage

While there was a time when there were driver and other hardware issues, that's in the past and now it's sort of like a MAC....(not the Truck!!!) It just works!!........and unlike a MAC or Winblows, it doesn't try to suck money out of your pocket!!! (ever)

If you've never heard of Linux, look under the hood of your Android phone, wired/wireless router, TIVO, TomTom GO and others GPS, Lowrance marine fish-finder/GPS or Aviation GPS. Even FTE may be hosted on LInux servers!

Sorry for the sales pitch guys...... (wait a min....didn't I say it's free?)

On another note, I pulled my CAB yesterday and put my engine in the chassis so I can start building the engine mounts and install my transmission! Woo hoo!

Cheers,

Rick

Old 09-24-2011, 04:37 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
This makes sense, but I don't see them - so I have to believe that some combination of the software I'm using is filtering out the ad posts....

Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
Well,

I have to also add (again) that I am running Firefox (latest version) and Adblock plus on OpenSUSE Linux 11.4 64bit.

People ask me all the time why I use Linux (for more than 13 years now!)......aside from the fact that there's around 50,000 Windows virus's and only maybe 40 Linux virus's (for Linux servers that haven't been patched in years!!) just about ALL the software for it is free. (Linux is completely FREE too)
Hey Rick, thanks for the info. This is a little OT, but every few years or so I end up loading some flavor of linux onto an old computer, and I never end up using it regularly... guess I'm too much of a creature of habit. Good to know about the virus issues (or lack thereof) with linux though.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:44 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_hound
Hey Rick, thanks for the info. This is a little OT, but every few years or so I end up loading some flavor of linux onto an old computer, and I never end up using it regularly... guess I'm too much of a creature of habit. Good to know about the virus issues (or lack thereof) with linux though.
Yeah, Sorry to the OP for the slight thread hijack!!!...anymore you need to use computers with plenty of HP!! Any of the "flavors" will run on most hardware but like windows, The newest versions of Linux needs some computing power and at least 0.5-1GB (500meg-1000meg) of RAM to run well!

The actual operating system doesn't take a lot of power but the graphic user interface (GUI) needs the extra display and computing power to work well.

For those of you that are computer challenged, the GUI is what you're actually looking at and clicking!!

For those of you that want to try it, Ubuntu is the easiest.......and you can install the entire operating system on a USB Thumb drive and run it from there. You do not have even install it, it does nothing to your computer and makes NO changes while you're using it.

When you shut down, remove the USB stick and reboot, it's like it was never there! You can do the same thing by burning it to a CD and running it from there but it's slower (because CD drives are really slow read/write)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Cheers,

Rick