Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

PCM updated

Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM
EdCaffreyMS
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCM updated

I picked the truck up from the dealership this afternoon, after a visit to get the tranny/shifting issues checked out. They updated the PCM to the latest version.
The tranny is acting MUCH better. The 1-2 shift no longer bounces my head off the headrest, and the 4-5 down shift seems better then when it went in.

The gear indicator on the dash now shows up by default every time the truck is in "D".

I took it for a drive around town on some errands, and the MPG dash gadget showed 16.5.......I then took it on a highway drive at 70mph, about 15 miles each way. Going, I was bucking a head wind, and got 13.4mph....on the way back, with a tail wind, 19.4mpg.

I don't think I'll ever stop being amazed at how much "little" things impact the MPG on this truck. That being said, if this PCM update fixes the shifting issues, I'm headed towards being a happy F150 owner.

My next move is to remove the mud flaps, and try the same trip again....the mud flaps are only flexible enough to contour to the fenders, and go about 1/2 way around the fender (flaps are on all four corners). I had hoped to keep from slinging mud up the sides of the truck and across the windshield during hunting season/winter, but if it means a couple more MPG, I'll live with a muddy rig.
Some might call me crazy, but I'm learning that ANYTHING added to these trucks that catches ANY wind while driving, drops the MPG significantly. I'll know more after the next trip without the mud flaps.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:33 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
Ed, lets keep our fingers crossed that this works for good.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 AM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Tim said and thanks for posting the info for other owners. Reps to you!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I highly doubt mudflaps add enough drag to reduce fuel mileage a couple MPG.

I'll be watching this thread to see Your results.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 AM
EdCaffreyMS
Senior User
I highly doubt mudflaps add enough drag to reduce fuel mileage a couple MPG.
A few months ago, I was saying the same thing...and I hope they are not effecting the MPG, but as I said in the initial post, I am amazed at how much "little" things negatively impact the MPG on this truck. After I pull them and give it a test run, I'll report back here with my findings.

To give you some examples....after taking delivery of this truck, I put 275/70R/18s on it, the mud flaps, a "high rise" topper, and a grill guard.
With all of that, the max highway MPG I could muster was 13.6. Putting everything back to "factory" (removing all of that, including changing it back to the factory 275/65R/18 tires) raised the highway MPG to 19-20. The biggest impact on MPG by far was the tires.....the factory are a 6 ply, and the ones I installed where a true "AT" 10 ply.
After this last "fix" I'm now going to see which accessories does the most MPG harm.....by taking them off one by one and testing.

I've even considered selling my "high rise" topper, and buying a cab height one due to the MPGs.

I know I shouldn't even mention this because of all the "warranty voiding" threads....but I don't think the EB is going to be close to it's potential, in either performance or MPGs, until somebody comes out with a tuner, and quality tunes for it.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:33 PM
cdmm151
Senior User
Did the dealer tell you what version the PCM upgrade was? I want the indicator lights to come on all the time also. So I to tell my dealer

Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 PM
jlc41
Junior User
subcribed I like to know also.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:11 PM
EdCaffreyMS
Senior User
No they didn't, however, this is what I gave them after pouring over various websites, and digesting all the information I could find about similar tranny issues:

TSB 11-7-20
Reprogram the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 72.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at motorcraft.com

I also specifically wrote (I always take a typed/printed out list for them, that contains the issues I am experiencing, and anything I can find on them) that I wanted the dash gear indicators to be visible by default.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Truckpilot1329
Senior User
Whow, let's back the truck up. Forget mudflaps for a minute and let's get back to the original thought on this threat; the PCM. Pardon me if I'm stuck in the 60s, but this is all new to me.

Now, when I turn my computer on, I get little balloons telling me I need to update my iTunes, or Adobe Reader. So I click, and it all happens, and me and the computer are up to date and happy.

So if I go buy a new $45,000 truck, you'll telling me I may have have to take it back to the dealership and get some computer program updated that influences how the transmission shifts? Did I get that right?

Is everyone having to do this? Or maybe a better question would be; Should everyone do this? If these computer programs are being updated, why wouldn't you want to have the current update?

If you don't have the current update, say you got your truck 6 months ago, and it's running fine, should you have it updated if you go in for an oil change?

Old 09-20-2011, 04:27 PM
shotgunz
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You only need an update if you're having an issue with your truck.

No problems? Leave well enough alone. Mine's never been updated (30k miles on my 09).

Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The taller tires/wheels, and the high rise topper I can see effecting You rmileage considerably. The Topper more than anything.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:07 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Ed, it doesn't seem that you increased tire size all that much. This morning while at the dealer getting my new bumper mounted I was walking the lot. There is a variety of truck on the lot identical to mine but they have the 265/70R/17 tires and mine came with the 235/75/17 tires and the trucks carry the same identical EPA estimate.

The 265's are the same size that's on my Expy and that's what I intend to upgrade to when the time comes. They fill the wheel wells nicely.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
EdCaffreyMS
Senior User
Hi Tim!

I saw that too! My truck came with 275/65R/18s, (chrome package) and I've said before, they were really "cheesy" straight treads that I didn't think would get me through a Montana winter...which is why I changed them. I went to our local Big-O tire shop and traded in the factory tires on a set of Big-O AT tires in 275/70R/18...and that's when the bottom dropped out of the MPG on this truck. After studying the differences, the only things I could come up with were the very minor height difference, and a weight difference that seemed only slight. I guess where the real difference comes in is with the construction of each tire....the factory tires were 6 ply tread and 2 ply sidewalls. The Big-O tires are 10 ply tread and 4 ply sidewall.
So MAYBE all the comments I've seen about "rolling resistance" have substance.

All that aside, I was roaming the lot the last time the truck was in (Monday of this week), and noticed the same thing as you.....there were several F150s sitting on the lot with 275/70R/17s......

Again, as I've previously said, I don't think I will ever stop being amazed at how very minor things on these trucks impacts the MPG so grossly.
I pulled the mud flaps off the truck last evening, and am going to take the same drive I did a couple of days ago to see where the MPG is without them. I'll post up the results a bit later today.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
I can't wait to read it Ed. I think that shedding that high topper is the biggest benny that you'll see plus the PCM reflash of course.

Keep us in the loop bro.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:56 PM
atbear
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
To give you some examples....after taking delivery of this truck, I put 275/70R/18s on it, the mud flaps, a "high rise" topper, and a grill guard.
With all of that, the max highway MPG I could muster was 13.6. Putting everything back to "factory" (removing all of that, including changing it back to the factory 275/65R/18 tires) raised the highway MPG to 19-20. The biggest impact on MPG by far was the tires.....the factory are a 6 ply, and the ones I installed where a true "AT" 10 ply.
After this last "fix" I'm now going to see which accessories does the most MPG harm.....by taking them off one by one and testing.
Ed, glad things are working better.

As far as the MPGs, didn't Ford fix some grounding issues at the same time they removed your mods? I was under the impression that the grounding fix did more for your MPGs than removing tires. I'd imagine the tires had a small impact, and the grill guard had an impact... the topper too... but the electrical fix had a bigger impact. I doubt the mud flaps have any noticeable impact.

Again, glad your rig is healing up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCM updated