Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Senior User

hwyhogg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Radio Antenna

Hi again,
I have a '56 panel truck with the antenna hole on the passenger side of cowl. It is about a 45 degree angle or so. Midfifty sells one, but it is over $60. While I've bought lots of good stuff from them, it seems expensive for an antenna. I see cheaper ones on ebay that "adust to 35 degrees..". Where did you guys with the mounting position like mine buy yours? My mounting hole is approximately 1" x 1.25", (kinda oval)...thanks for your continued help with this project,
James
Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moe Craig
in the 80's I replaced mine that was mounted there, I got one from Napa Auto Parts...

1949 Ford F1
"You don't know the power of the Darkside!"
Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Senior User

Steves55 is starting off with a positive reputation.
James, I had the same situation on my 55. Rather than sinking $60, I bought a universal (retractable mast) from Advance Auto Parts for $25. Fit perfectly. May be worth a try. Good luck. Steve
Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Senior User

thanks. . I guess the angle is adjustable on the universal on you got from Advance? I will try one; they'll take it back anyway, so worth a try I would probably go electric if I'm gonna spend $60 to fill a hole BTW, for anyone else looking, I did call a company call Metra today. They recommended their part no. 44-UT03R I found it at Best Buy for 14.99...., but they will have to order it. Will see what the local part store has first
Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Hog,I'm not sure how married you are to having a stock appearance,but this is what I did.I got one of the short rubber antennas,and gave away the NOS one I had to another member.

The stock one is extremely long,and prone to being easily snapped off.That short black rubber one works fine,is discrete,and is forgiving while going through a carwash.If you want originality and "the look', it probably won't suit you.I'm sure it cost me less than 25.00.Keep in mind,my truck is a 59,but it is a universal fit.

Steve
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 09-21-2011, 09:12 PM
Senior User

BIG, do you have any pics of the rubber antenna? I tried one today from an auto parts store. It adjusted to "35 degrees", but it still was not vertical enough for me. I do like the shorter rubber look better than the stock look, but I want something more vertical...
thanks
Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Senior User

Just an update and FYI for anyone in my situtation. I tried a few different antennas and for me the universal ones that "adjust up to 35 degrees" did not work...they were still cocked out too much. BUT, I did find one of the shorter black rubber ones, (which is better for the look I want) that works well I bought it at Best Buy, (you have to ask to look at their stock in the installation area of store). It is made by Metra . It is the AntennaWorks series and the product number is 44-US07R. On the tag it says Top/Side mount for 1"/25mm hole. My hole is about 1" x 1.25" and it covers and tightens nicely. This antenna has a ball swivel (above the base at bottom of antenna) that allows you to adjust the antenna to suit your taste. Would post pic, but that seemed like a complex ordeal on this site. It must be easier if you are a paying member? Any way, hope this opens up another option for those needing an antenna on the slant part of the cowl
thanks again,
James
Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM