6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

"P0528, Fan Speed Sensor: No Signal" Found the problem need part.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Glad the trip went well!

Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you both! The only code shown is P0528. I was. Very happy to hear that fan kick up and down. I enjoyed very much watching the temps raise and lower with tight deltas when expected. Fordimus Prime seems to be a happy truck right now. I will replace the degass cap and monitor for any more spitting. The result looks like speckling in a very isolated area on the driverside rear of the engine compartment. I am beginning to believe I have a bad cap. Possibly from my previous EGR/Oil cooler failure.

I will R & R the cap.

Eric

Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Well, I am going to call this the final update to this thread.

Brought the 5VR hopme from the campground yesterday in slow traffic and hills. My temps did not get over 214 (Coolant) and about 212 (Oil). I was averaging between 198-200 while moving 50-60 MPH and 204 creeping in traffic. The 204 temp hung for a while and then dropped off rapidly to the 180's.

No visible spitting from the Degass bottle, no residue, everything looked fine. Truck ran fine. Good stuff. Thanks all!

Eric

Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Special Ed
Elder User
I too just decided to look at my codes today after noticing a higher than normal coolant temp. Off the Edge Insight & have a P0528 & a P1335. My coolant temp was around 205-210 coming home from work and its 65 degrees F out. Using the search function as I speak.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by egregg57
Well, I am going to call this the final update to this thread.

Brought the 5VR hopme from the campground yesterday in slow traffic and hills. My temps did not get over 214 (Coolant) and about 212 (Oil). I was averaging between 198-200 while moving 50-60 MPH and 204 creeping in traffic. The 204 temp hung for a while and then dropped off rapidly to the 180's.

No visible spitting from the Degass bottle, no residue, everything looked fine. Truck ran fine. Good stuff. Thanks all!

Eric
Hi Eric and sorry to bring up an old thread here but I am having the same issue as you had here. I tried to figure out what you did exactly to fix your code P0528 (Fan Speed Sensor Circuit - No Signal). Did you replace the cooling clutch fan assembly as well as the cap on the degas bottle? My truck is also showing just this one code and I can't seem to get rid of it. I appreciate your input.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Hey there, No sweat on the thread.

The code, (on edit) I should not have said error, the PCM is not reading the fan RPM's like MCHAN said. It still reacts to temperature and that is what it needs most. At 210F it kicks on and then kicks off at 195F ECT. The fan operates as it should in my case. In speaking with a few different technicians, this code has popped on other trucks as well even though the fan is operating normally.

I checked pins and the condition of the connector and all seems well. The plastic stand off that mounts the cable was broken and was probably done during some maintenance. I am not exactly sure when. I only knew it was there after putting my Edge Insight in.

If the fan is cycling when it is supposed to at ~210 F ECT then I would say don't worry about it.

I am having head gaskets done in the next few months, and while the engine is apart I am going to have it looked at a little closer. If electrically and mechanically it remains to be sound, I am not going to mess with it. If the fan clutch is indeed not communicating with the PCM then it will be changed out.

If it does need to be changed, it is a bit of a bear to get out and back in for the first timer.

Hope that helps.

Eric

Last edited by egregg57; 06-11-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Correction to information
Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 PM
berick
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by egregg57
Hey there, No sweat on the thread.

The code, (on edit) I should not have said error, the PCM is not read in fan RPM's like MCHAN said. It still reacts to temperature and that is what it needs most. At 210F it kicks on and then kicks off at 195F ECT. The fan operates as it should in my case. In speaking with a few different technicians, this code has popped on other trucks as well even though the fan is operating normally.

I checked pins and the condition of the connector and all seems well. The plastic stand off that mounts the cable was broken and was probably done during some maintenance. I am not exactly sure when. I only knew it was there after putting my Edge Insight in.

If the fan is cycling when it is supposed to at ~210 F ECT then I would say don't worry about it.

I am having head gaskets done in the next few months, and while the engine is apart I am going to have it looked at a little closer. If electrically and mechanically it remains to be sound, I am not going to mess with it. If the fan clutch is indeed not communicating with the PCM then it will be changed out.

If it does need to be changed, it is a bit of a bear to get out and back in for the first timer.

Hope that helps.

Eric
Hmmm... well I really don't know if the fan is working or not than because my temps did not get up to the 210 mark. It stayed pretty much around the 190 to 205 mark (empty). Just got home from a 1200km trip and my truck did something real funky on the way home. I checked my Insight though and this was the only code it brought up..... I do not think this code and the trucks strange behavior are related. Time to start a new thread I guess.

You say it is common for this code to show up even if there are no problems? Have you spoken to a lot of folks that have the same problem with this code showing up but no apparent reason for it?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:48 PM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by berick
Hmmm... well I really don't know if the fan is working or not than because my temps did not get up to the 210 mark. It stayed pretty much around the 190 to 205 mark (empty). Just got home from a 1200km trip and my truck did something real funky on the way home. I checked my Insight though and this was the only code it brought up..... I do not think this code and the trucks strange behavior are related. Time to start a new thread I guess.

You say it is common for this code to show up even if there are no problems? Have you spoken to a lot of folks that have the same problem with this code showing up but no apparent reason for it?
That's correct. MCHAN had piped in about the PCM not sensing Fan RPM's. And that may be the case with mine, but I am not sure and I guess won't be until I get the gaskets done.

In asking questions about it, several people have chased thier tails trying to pin it down, even after changing the fan clutch out it still came in intermittanly. It was even suggested to me that it could be a vehicle alarm/security system that is causing it.

It is in then it isn't. Then its back again with out any rhyme or reason. Maybe MChan will chime in again, check earlier in the thread for his comments.

Eric

Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 PM
jspalmer
New User
Fan Clutch

I am having an issue with my fan clutch as well. I'm getting the P0528 code as well, but my fan is coming on when the EOT and ECT temps are low. In fact sometimes the fan will come on when I first start the motor after having sat overnight. Other times it won't. Any ideas? Wiring looks good.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by jspalmer
I am having an issue with my fan clutch as well. I'm getting the P0528 code as well, but my fan is coming on when the EOT and ECT temps are low. In fact sometimes the fan will come on when I first start the motor after having sat overnight. Other times it won't. Any ideas? Wiring looks good.
Mchan responded to another post of mine in regard to this. Basically he said if that code is the only one in and the fan operates, it is almost certain that the PCM is not seeing fan RPM from the RPM sensor. The fan is being driven by temperature.

Check your EFC (Electric Fan Clutch) wiring harness connector, top right side of fan shroud. Clean and reconnect it. Remove the shroud top (the one with the powerstroke sticker on it) and look down to the fan hub. Check for chaffing or damage to the cable. Worst case you'll need to remove and replace the fan clutch.

Hope that helps.

Eric

Old 06-30-2012, 02:26 PM
jspalmer
New User
Checked the wiring harness connector, it looks good. I pulled the shroud and the wiring itself looks good. I had a coolant leak from a hose recently, and it looks like some of that coolant may have corroded the wiring. I've attached a photo for your review. Is the fan clutch bad because of the coolant?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:20 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Well I had extensive work done to the engine and one of the items I had replaced was the fan clutch. The code is now gone. It has been cold here in New England this winter, plenty of snow! I am looking forward to spring and summer and some elevated temps. I want to hear that fan kick in!

Eric

Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm weird. My fan clutch is like a year old and i have both of those codes (p0428? and p0528). Wiring harness looks fine, disconnected and reconnected the harness for it...strange. Not getting hot yet though, luckily. summer might change that

Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM
egregg57
Elder User
Originally Posted by acf6
Hmm weird. My fan clutch is like a year old and i have both of those codes (p0428? and p0528). Wiring harness looks fine, disconnected and reconnected the harness for it...strange. Not getting hot yet though, luckily. summer might change that
In several discussions those codes have popped for no particluar reason for some and all is operating normally. Is it an aftermarket part?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:10 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not sure what it was, i just helped replace it

Quick Reply: "P0528, Fan Speed Sensor: No Signal" Found the problem need part.