Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 460 F-250(Now with 0-85 Vid!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We're using an AEM Wideband, seems to work good enough. The quaterhorse is neat in that through Binary Editor (the tuning program), you can datalog. If you delete the EGR, you can use the EGR position sensor input to datalog the wideband directly. Makes things easier.

But yes, I honestly didn't know much about tuning (and still don't). There are hundreds of settings and variables to tweak. We made a basseline tune to get the truck running, and then basically we just started playing with settings, see what they did, how the engine responded, etc..If we screwed something up too much and couldn't fix it, we could just load the baseline back up.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 PM
TDeesTruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
It's a 7.3 Power Stroke Van Turbo. They have the larger exhaust housing which is more favorable for gasoline engines.
I believe this is backwords, the van turbo came with the smaller air housing (1.0) and the trucks had the larger 1.15. The van turbos spooled faster but the truck turbo would and will handle more volume and more peak hp but spools slower. I personally swapped my 1.15 housing for the smaller 1.0 housing on my 1997 psd F-250. Spools much faster now but that is at 5300 ft above sea level.

With that out of the way, how do you like that way it spools? I'm looking at changing my truck turbo and putting the current one on my 1978 F-150 4x4 that I swapped a '79 460 into some years ago. Just curious if it was worth it or not?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 PM
farrell262
Freshman User
so the motor is stock except for a turbo???

Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a psd turbo on my 94 mustang 5liter, and it was awesome.
I think a 460 will spool it just fine. I had 10psi boost (wg setting) at 3200 rpm
I loved it.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by TDeesTruck
I believe this is backwords, the van turbo came with the smaller air housing (1.0) and the trucks had the larger 1.15. The van turbos spooled faster but the truck turbo would and will handle more volume and more peak hp but spools slower. I personally swapped my 1.15 housing for the smaller 1.0 housing on my 1997 psd F-250. Spools much faster now but that is at 5300 ft above sea level.

With that out of the way, how do you like that way it spools? I'm looking at changing my truck turbo and putting the current one on my 1978 F-150 4x4 that I swapped a '79 460 into some years ago. Just curious if it was worth it or not?
Nope, van turbo is the 1.15 Housing. Says 1.15 right on it too. Putting a van 1.15 Housing on a truck turbo is not quite the same thing as a van turbo itself. The turbine on the van turbo is slightly bigger.

It's my buddy's truck, and I've never actually driven it myself. My own observations are however that when punched it from a dead stop without brake-torquing it, there is a fair amount of lag, but that was with a nearly plugged air filter and a leaky exhaust manifold. Has a 6637 filter and short tube headers now, but we haven't re-ran it. However, if you punch it from a roll, it lights off damn near instantly. The closer you mount the turbo the engine, the faster it will light off from a dig.
Originally Posted by farrell262
so the motor is stock except for a turbo???
Bone stock internals. Only thing it has is shorty headers.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 PM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts
With all the interest in tuning with the laptop and quarterhorse take a look at this thread from earlier this year with alot of detail and info. I thought it would spark more interest when I posted......now ya'll see it in action and everyone wants to know what it is....read on my friends.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...er-others.html

Old 12-28-2011, 07:45 PM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
We're using an AEM Wideband, seems to work good enough. The quaterhorse is neat in that through Binary Editor (the tuning program), you can datalog. If you delete the EGR, you can use the EGR position sensor input to datalog the wideband directly. Makes things easier.

But yes, I honestly didn't know much about tuning (and still don't). There are hundreds of settings and variables to tweak. We made a basseline tune to get the truck running, and then basically we just started playing with settings, see what they did, how the engine responded, etc..If we screwed something up too much and couldn't fix it, we could just load the baseline back up.
Have you worked at all on scaling the load table? I would also guess you are tapping out the maf voltage range and would need an maf extender....if you are using stock maf.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 PM
TDeesTruck
New User
Nope, van turbo is the 1.15 Housing. Says 1.15 right on it too. Putting a van 1.15 Housing on a truck turbo is not quite the same thing as a van turbo itself. The turbine on the van turbo is slightly bigger.
So turns out we are both right.

The OBS fords had the 1.0 in the vans and the 1.15 in the trucks. 99-03 Had .84 in the trucks and 1.15 in the vans. It's Ford, they do goofy **** sometimes.

Any how does he know what the max boost he's pushed so far is? I was thinking about setting up a waste gate for about 15-16psi since I am already down about 7psi difference from a sea level engine. The turbo spools very nicely in my PSD and makes about 27psi. I want to have some fun but not necessarily blow it up right away Does anyone know of someone on here with a turbo-ed and carburetor-ed 460 set up? A buddy of mine reminded me that the fuel injection to adjust for altitude wouldn't be nearly as critical once running forced induction....

Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 73FOMO
Have you worked at all on scaling the load table? I would also guess you are tapping out the maf voltage range and would need an maf extender....if you are using stock maf.
We're using a 90mm lightning maf - but we were pegging that out at 5v. It turns out that the MAF itself will actually output up to battery voltage, the computer can only sense up to 5v. So we put a resistive voltage divider onto the MAF output (which is the same thing as a maf extender), and remade the MAF transfer curve ourselves.

Unfortunately we haven't played with load scaling, as I still don't quite understand it. I basically just set it 12:1 A/F for everything above 90% load, and a fixed 12* timing advance above 90% load as well. It's not really proper, but it's safe until I fully understand the load scaling ability.

I saw a thread on EECTuning.org how to set it up for 130% load at the top row, but I didn't just want to start copy and pasting stuff without understanding what it's actually doing.

Your thread was actually a huge help in us getting this setup running initially way back when and deciding on going with Binary Editor/QuarterHorse. Unfortunately none of the local dyno-tuning shops seem to have much experience with BinaryEditor - or the QuarterHorse. So we're on our own to tune it for the most part.
Originally Posted by TDeesTruck
So turns out we are both right.

The OBS fords had the 1.0 in the vans and the 1.15 in the trucks. 99-03 Had .84 in the trucks and 1.15 in the vans. It's Ford, they do goofy **** sometimes.

Any how does he know what the max boost he's pushed so far is? I was thinking about setting up a waste gate for about 15-16psi since I am already down about 7psi difference from a sea level engine. The turbo spools very nicely in my PSD and makes about 27psi. I want to have some fun but not necessarily blow it up right away Does anyone know of someone on here with a turbo-ed and carburetor-ed 460 set up? A buddy of mine reminded me that the fuel injection to adjust for altitude wouldn't be nearly as critical once running forced induction....
We're running 7 PSI, and that's about as far as the guys on 460Forum say it's safe to run a stock 460 at. There's a guy on youtube pushing 9 PSI on a stock block, but he's more brave than my buddy.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:50 AM
farrell262
Freshman User
what type of turbo would you suggest for a 1990 f250 460 and for the life of me i cant get my truck any louder i unhooked the exhaust right after the catylic converters.....sounded the same i cant hear the exhaust over the clutch fan

Old 12-29-2011, 11:04 AM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
Unfortunately we haven't played with load scaling, as I still don't quite understand it. I basically just set it 12:1 A/F for everything above 90% load, and a fixed 12* timing advance above 90% load as well. It's not really proper, but it's safe until I fully understand the load scaling ability.

I saw a thread on EECTuning.org how to set it up for 130% load at the top row, but I didn't just want to start copy and pasting stuff without understanding what it's actually doing..
Cool...I'll be glad to share knowledge anyway I can. Actually what you have done is fine, it's just you can't fine tune your afr's and spark advance beyond 90% load....as you have fixed that value, and I would guess you are hitting 90% load early in the rpm band. All load scaling does is extend your control over fuel and timing beyond the 100% load as programmed by Ford. A normally aspirated engine can't exceed 100% and usually falls well short, depending on the Voumetric Efficiency of the motor....but with forced induction you can easily exceed that. Basically with load scaling you are extending the range by rescaling the table so as to conform to where your engine operates and you are reprogramming precise air and spark commands throughout the table. What is the max load you have seen on your datalog? What eec definiton and calibration are you running?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:07 AM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by farrell262
i cant hear the exhaust over the clutch fan
An electric fan conversion will solve that....

Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 73FOMO
Cool...I'll be glad to share knowledge anyway I can. Actually what you have done is fine, it's just you can't fine tune your afr's and spark advance beyond 90% load....as you have fixed that value, and I would guess you are hitting 90% load early in the rpm band. All load scaling does is extend your control over fuel and timing beyond the 100% load as programmed by Ford. A normally aspirated engine can't exceed 100% and usually falls well short, depending on the Voumetric Efficiency of the motor....but with forced induction you can easily exceed that. Basically with load scaling you are extending the range by rescaling the table so as to conform to where your engine operates and you are reprogramming precise air and spark commands throughout the table. What is the max load you have seen on your datalog? What eec definiton and calibration are you running?
I actually recall us hitting 200% load a few times, and from what I understand, once it hits 200% load it stops adding additional fuel, so we're going to have to increase the displacement value some to reduce the load. The MAF was also getting quite close to 2200 Kg/Hr (which from what I understand also stops adding additional fuel once you hit it), so probably going to have to use the cut injector size/maf transfer/displacement in half trick as well.

I don't have the calibration here, but this is what we did anyways:

It's a HOG1 EEC-IV, running an AHACB Strategy. We just modified the HOG1 Calibration. Changed displacement, maf transfer, injector size, firing order, increased shift pressures, disabled emissions, more aggressive deceleration fuel shut off, increase the cold start fueling, capped the >90% load spark at 12*. Set rev-limit at 4500 and WOT Shifts @ 4250. That's about it, and for the most part it was running pretty good.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:54 PM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
I actually recall us hitting 200% load a few times, and from what I understand, once it hits 200% load it stops adding additional fuel, so we're going to have to increase the displacement value some to reduce the load. The MAF was also getting quite close to 2200 Kg/Hr (which from what I understand also stops adding additional fuel once you hit it), so probably going to have to use the cut injector size/maf transfer/displacement in half trick as well.

I don't have the calibration here, but this is what we did anyways:

It's a HOG1 EEC-IV, running an AHACB Strategy. We just modified the HOG1 Calibration. Changed displacement, maf transfer, injector size, firing order, increased shift pressures, disabled emissions, more aggressive deceleration fuel shut off, increase the cold start fueling, capped the >90% load spark at 12*. Set rev-limit at 4500 and WOT Shifts @ 4250. That's about it, and for the most part it was running pretty good.
I may have that def in my binary editor. Did you have to pay for that def? I think I already may have the Hog1 calibration. Basically 200% is all you can go on the load scale, so you are right, you would need to trick through other methods. Right now you are hitting 90 - 100% load only half way, so I think you would get much better response through tuning spark and fuel control if you went ahead and scaled your tables. Basically 200% would be what the old 100% was...except I would back the spark way down since it is a forced application. Sounds like you have picked up on tuning fairly well, and you are taking the right approach, a little at the time, test the effect, and then tune some more. What was your AFR's datalogged under WOT?

Old 12-29-2011, 01:15 PM
73FOMO
Fleet Mechanic
Also Lead Head...I assume you have read this thread. It goes into great detail table scaling "how to" and was written by one of the respondents cgrey8 in my FTE thread above. I think this is where you probably got your 1305 info.

Great info on both of these and a must read.

EECTuning.org • View topic - Changing Table Scaling using Scaling Functions

Also this one which has a lot of good info.

http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16791

Quick Reply: Turbo 460 F-250(Now with 0-85 Vid!)