Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 AM
Senior User

DumbLuck is starting off with a positive reputation.
maybe these will make things clearer for the stock starter setup. One these should be what you're dealing with I should think. I believe it was "Julie" that originally posted these.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 AM
Senior User

who checked your battery, and how did they do it? if it was the pimply faced kid at the auto store he might be clueless. I can't count the number of times I've heard people insist the battery was fine only to have it be badly discharged. Did you put it on the charger after the problem occurred? A bad ground connection can mimic a dead battery too. Are the terminals clean and where the battery cable attaches to the the truck's frame good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmanforlife246 View Post
Without my key I'n the truck I could push the starter button and it would crank the engine but not start it untill my key was In. So what I
think might have happend was the starter button was
stuck and it blew a fuse or a wire went bad from the consistent amps. But then the truck had no power after that, that's why I am confused. I even took the battery to get checked for amps and volts and they said it was good. So then I replaced the solonoid and still no power
Old 09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Senior User

fordmanforlife246 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Okay guys I got an update! So I hooked my battery back up and I turned my key an I had power! I even had power to my wipers and air conditioning which haven't worked I'n a while! So then I go to push the start button and I lose total power an I have to reconnect my hot wire to get the power to start again. What the heck?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Postmaster

wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wmjoe1953 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bad connection some where. Check all the connecting points of the ground straps, and battery cables. My 1991 F-250 does that exact same thing, I need to wiggle the battery cable to get it to start. I haven't gotten around to new cables yet, as I know they are no good.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Elder User

Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
Yep.. You definately have a short/grounding issue. Ensure that you have good engine to frame, and frame to body grounds. Not just some wimpy wire, but good cable sized stuff. Make sure the soleniod is mounted good and tight and that the mounting ear has good contact with metal.

Sounds like you probably have a 12V neg ground system, since you mention having A/C. Good grounds are key to having any electrical system reliable.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Postmaster

Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.Jeff and Nicolle has a great reputation on FTE.
when that happens to me, its usually the main ground cable on the battery. Do you have any of those cheapy battery end clamps that have the bolt down crimp? if you do, throw that junk away! Oh i don't know how many times I have had to deal with those! I hate them! ok well maybe HATE is too strong, but...
Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Senior User

Alright guys well I went and got the battery tested again! And the battery had no amps so the battery was no good!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Elder User

49fordpickumup is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Back to day one. You again had a good system until you engaged the starter. I think maybe either the wire between the solonoid and the starter maybe shorted to the frame,engine or starter case or the starter may have a internal short. Please don't install a new battery and attempt to start again without repairing the problem. chuck

1950 F-1 1949 F-1/226
1949 F-3 Donor
Old 09-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior User

This thread is becoming a good argument for a battery cut-out switch. I also noticed that in the '53-'55 stock wiring that there is no breaker or fuse between the hot power lead from the battery side of the solenoid all the way thru the amp meter, to the breaker on the back of the instrument cluster. And that breaker automatically resets on it's own. Finding some sort of fuse to put in that line close to the solenoid is on my long list of things to do.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Junior User

heavyhitter 460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup View Post
Back to day one. You again had a good system until you engaged the starter. I think maybe either the wire between the solonoid and the starter maybe shorted to the frame,engine or starter case or the starter may have a internal short. Please don't install a new battery and attempt to start again without repairing the problem. chuck
that's what i'm thinking. cable from solenoid to starter is fried. if the truck was trying to start continuously it had to cook something between the battery and the starter.
this is just a symptom of the original problem, though. you started with a bad switch or a short somewhere related to that switch.
i'm betting you have the original problem plus everything caused by it.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior User

I had my starter tested and it is good. I'm thinking it did that because the solenoid was arced. But I will check up on the cables
QUOTE=49fordpickumup;10829800]Back to day one. You again had a good system until you engaged the starter. I think maybe either the wire between the solonoid and the starter maybe shorted to the frame,engine or starter case or the starter may have a internal short. Please don't install a new battery and attempt to start again without repairing the problem. chuck[/QUOTE]
Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Senior User

wilsel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup View Post
I agree! I had a similar problem, and it was because the positive starter cable terminal was arching to the block. It was about 1mm from the block, and did not present any problems for a long time, until 1 day.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 PM