General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Reno air race crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Reno air race crash

Anybody else heard of this? It looks like nine dead so far and quite a few injuries, another Mustang lost as well.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
I saw something about it earlier. Observers said that the pilot did everything that he could to avoid the crowd. Apparently, it could have been worse.

hj

Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 09-18-2011, 09:34 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, it's all over the news. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those involved and their families.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:51 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was a crash at an air show in Martinsburg, WV also

1 Killed in 2nd Deadly Air Show Crash in 24 Hours - ABC News

Old 09-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you imagine being in those box seats up front?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:57 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had been there the day before. I was amazed how close the seats were to the runway. Close enough to get these pics at 18x.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like it was a gruesome scene. I read today where many of the participants and spectators pitched in to help the injured. A Huey in the show was used to fly some of the victims to the hospital and some folks used their private autos to transport the injured to the hospital. The way the debris field swept across the crowd at impact I'm surprised the casulaties weren't higher. Prayers for the injured and condolences to the families of those that perished.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:31 AM
keyul
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw it on the news yesterday (first time I've watched TV in nearly 8 weeks, im on a huge road trip) all I can say is holy ****. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families of everyone.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The human toll was hideous..........and the loss of a flying piece of history.
Nothing good in any of this.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 AM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Old93junk
The human toll was hideous..........and the loss of a flying piece of history.
Nothing good in any of this.
This particular plane had been so modified that it really was a Mustang in fuselage only. Both the wings and the elevators had been shortened quite a bit. Not much different in looking at a 1965 Mustang only to have the owner open the hood and see a fuel injected 302 and a completely redone front suspension. The owner did everything he could to get this plane to go 500 mph which no stock Mustang could ever do. The price of doing that was seen this day. Any one of those planes, that race out there, could have this happen. The real fault lies with the people who run the Air Race and allow the spectators to be so close.

Did anyone notice the last shot of the plane with no pilot to be seen in the small canopy? I'm pretty sure the pilot was unconscious at the time of impact. Losing your only trim tab on the elevators will quickly cause those elevators to pitch upward in less than a second. The plane will the pitch nose up in less than a second at 500 mph. That means at least 10g's or more and the pilot, any pilot, will pass out from that. Most all those planes have one trim tab, instead of two, on their elevators. It is believed that they can cause drag and so one is eliminated. The other is most likely spring controlled and it seems to have broken off on one side before coming off completely. Without that tab it is very hard to maintain nose down level flight and the strength needed at 500 mph to use your pitch controls is superhuman.

Needless to say my first impression was a groan when I heard there was a crash at the races. Had not heard the casualties yet so all I thought of was the plane and pilot. I like to see the planes fly but at the same time am conflicted when they are used this way. When you restore a WWII plane, and know how rare they are, it is hard to take their loss. The spectators involved make it even more horrendous.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:25 AM
fireball 440
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 19fifty4
Sounds like it was a gruesome scene. I read today where many of the participants and spectators pitched in to help the injured. A Huey in the show was used to fly some of the victims to the hospital and some folks used their private autos to transport the injured to the hospital. The way the debris field swept across the crowd at impact I'm surprised the casulaties weren't higher. Prayers for the injured and condolences to the families of those that perished.
If that is true than this air race in Reno should be shut down for ever. To not even have ambulances and a chopper on the tarmack is downright stupid. These air races should be held away from crowds, over water. An air show is one thing, this wasn't a show it was a race. Spectators shouldn't have been allowed out on the tarmac period.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fireball 440
If that is true than this air race in Reno should be shut down for ever. To not even have ambulances and a chopper on the tarmack is downright stupid. These air races should be held away from crowds, over water. An air show is one thing, this wasn't a show it was a race. Spectators shouldn't have been allowed out on the tarmac period.
When we road into the show I noticed a "mass casualty unit" on the tarmac next to a fire truck. They were prepared for an accident, maybe just not enough. I agree though, they should move the stands farther back.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Watch this one. That thing slammed into the ground like a missile.

They should ban this event. It's over.

Raw Video: New Images of Reno Plane Crash - YouTube

Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 AM
tbm3fan
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Watch this one. That thing slammed into the ground like a missile.

They should ban this event. It's over.+
Once the law suits start to fly, and there will be many, that may just happen...

Quick Reply: Reno air race crash