General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

How times have changed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 07:06 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How times have changed!

Thoughts and ramblings......

Funny, when I was a boy we played the usual sports. No girls allowed. One team would win, the other team would loose. We'd play cops and robbers, cowboys and indians. We'd have cap guns, pop guns, rubber knives, sticks and make believe. We'd shoot each other and yell "Bang!, your dead!" We'd protest when the person we shot didn't go down and said "you missed". "No I didn't! Your dead!" and then shoot'em again. We would set up plastic army men in the dirt and play war and throw dirt clods to destroy the enemy. We'd wrestle and play dog pile on the front lawn and none of this was considered to be an act of agression. Girls would play with dolls, skip rope, roller skate and play with their Easy Bake ovens and nobody thought they were being left out of anything. Boys could be boys and girls could be girls. Neither side was interested in playing with the others toys or wanting to be like them.

Now days playing cops and robbers and cowboys and indians with toy guns is considered to be agressive behavior and politicaly incorrect among the social engineers. In some kids sports, no scores are kept and kids are tought that there are no loosers but all are winners. Boys and girls play on the same team to promote "equality". Political correcteness has run amok and the feminists are attempting to blur the lines between male and female. The fact that boys and girls, men and women act different, play different, solve problems and react different does not set well with feminist and gender netrual is the order of the day. No such thing as a mans job or a womans job anymore. In some respects I think that to be true. But in other respects I believe that to be totaly wrong. For the most part, I believe men still view at women as being feminine, delicate, non-agressive, nurturing and will come to the aid of a damsel in distress.

And now thanks to the feminists movement, women can now become the agressor. Not wanting to be left out, women can join the military, be given guns they had no interest in playing with as a girl and go off to fight a war along side men who were told as boys, not to be agressive in their play. I don't believe this makes our army stonger, but weaker. It's a mans job. In war, men are agressive by nature. They have to be. Because it's no longer a game. One side will win, the other will loose. Scores are kept with the number of emeny kills. But yet in the middle of all of this, I believe that men will still keep a protective eye on his female counter part. It's part of what makes us men. We protect our women by nature. A man will naturaly try to protect the weaker sex in times of danger. I think this is what compromises the efficiency of the infantry today. Now that's not to say inferior, but weaker in strength, stamina and agression. It's what makes the fight man what he is. This is how God created us. And no amout of bluring the lines by the feminists, between male and female will change that.

Chivalry is not dead, no matter how much the feminists hate it or are trying to kill it.

Thoughts? Comments?

Old 04-06-2003, 11:01 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How times have changed!

The only reason an Iraqi soldier was able to get away with slapping the face of a female Marine was she had two broken legs. I would rather have a U.S. female Marine covering my back (or supply lines) than any French or Iraqi solider.

Your point of topic deserves discussion when we no longer have any female POWs and the war has ended. Otherwise I would not discuss it and disrespect their service since they are sitting somewhere rotting in another country (most likely while being tortured) while I am typing my opinions safely at home.

Besides that, I would not suggest doing this conversation face to face with a female Marine, for your own safety. I met a few female Marines while doing Toys For Tots and you better believe they are all business and real Marines.

Old 04-06-2003, 11:11 AM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User
How times have changed!

I will be keeping score on the sidelines of my kid's games and telling him if he wins or loses.
People that never lose never strive to win, and people that never get their feelings hurt never develop their feelings.
It's getting to the point where our liberal teaching juggernaut is trying to turn boys into girls. I am sorry, but women teachers have given up trying to teach boys because they are harder to teach. So they are grooming them from a young age to behave like girls in the classroom, so they are "easier" to teach, but it's causing MAJOR dysfunctions in boys.
I am a supporter of gender segregated classrooms. They are better environments for learning...this way, boys are taught in a manner consistent with their learning style (kinesthetic, or hands-on) and girls are taught consistant with their learning style (aesthetic). That's not to say that the styles can't be interchanged, but this way, they don't interfere with one another. And the genders still get to interact at recess and in gym class.
Gender segregated all the way. In trials, it has been shown to improve test scores and cognitive advancement in BOTH genders, by a substantial degree.
That's my $0.38 (HEY! my computer doesn't have a CENT symbol! )
BDV

Old 04-06-2003, 11:19 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How times have changed!

yeah it does..... ¢ see.... .hold the ALT key and the type "0162" ¢ on the numeric keypad. And I agree about the segregated classrooms, I am aslo an avid supporter of Home Schooling.

Old 04-06-2003, 11:28 AM
dream 81'
Junior User
How times have changed!

I agree with most said here but I must admit as a little girl I did enjoy doing some boyish things.I agree that for the most part women should be submissive to husbands and fathers and other major male counterparts in their life. I also don't think that a woman should be a president(remember I am female). And I have many reasons for this thinking on both subjects that I won't go into because it would take way too long.

However, like I said before I did and do enjoy doing some things that could be deemed "boyish". Examples: I like to hunt, work on my own truck, and would rather do physical labor than sit behind a desk all day. When I was little I played cops and robbers with my brother and friends and even sent para-troopers flying from my kite. I wasn't influenced by anyone because even as early as three I told my mother that I didn't want hair bows on my head and that I didn't want to wear a dress.

So I guess my point is that I think its ok for some lines to be slightly blurred.

P.S. As a future teacher and a current daycare teacher the comment about teaching boys to be girls isn't true, at least not for me because in all honesty I would rather teach boys.

just my thoughts

Old 04-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
How times have changed!

Wasn't gonna reply, but can't help myself..

So, does this mean that my Husband needs to start doing his own sandblasting, bodywork, painting and fetch his own greasy tools? This way I can just stay in the house where I belong and do all of those "Wonderful" household chores we women luv so much.

If I remember correctly, back in them there good 'ole days, it didn't take 2 incomes to keep afloat and be able to acquire big boy toys. Well, maybe it did kinda. My mom stayed at home doing the woman things and I don't remember much about any childhood with dad cause he was working 2 jobs. I don't think Steve would like it if I were to quit working. He'd have to get 2 full time jobs on top of driving our KW 10-14 hrs a day to get "us" to "we" are at today. Teamwork really does work!!

I like the door opened for me, I like when we go out and he orders for me and pays, of course I have to give him money before he can.

As for women in the military, I'm all for it if that's what they want to do.

BTW, being raised with all brothers and only one other girl in the entire neighborhood, I usually ended up playing all of those boy-type games. I had my barbies, but couldn't get my brothers to play dress-up with me for some reason. I think the point being is that girls/women are more apt to change and new ideas.

Sorry guys, but times are-a-changin'.

Last edited by Carlene; 04-06-2003 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:13 PM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru
How times have changed!

While you guys are keeping score with the male/female thing, count black/white also.

We all have been accused of being racist because poor blacks are more likely to die in this war. The Military says it isn't true. Let's see if we can put this to bed.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Tribalgeek
Junior User
How times have changed!

Women are pretty equal now adays. Hell I wouldn't dare **** my girlfriend off to bad. She plays soccer and can leg press 580 and thats not her max. I really don't feel like getting kicked. I still feel I need to protect her though. Thats just the way I was raised.
I would still like to be able to be a gentleman though. I have one female friend who goes nuts because my roommate & I always open the door for her. We sometimes pull her chair out if we are feeling brave. We cover her eating out cost if shes with us if need be. She dosen't like it but I think she knows that we are gonna do it either way. I just wish lady's would let us guys be gentleman. Our mothers typically raised us to open doors to pull out chairs and the like. Don't get upset if we do it. We aren't trying to say you are weak. We are doing it to show respect for you.

Old 04-06-2003, 11:48 PM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User
How times have changed!

I didn't want to suggest that girls can't learn guy THINGS, it's just that women have a different learning STYLE than men do.
I have met tons of women that can do lots of "guy" things that I don't know how to do. But I bet you that Velvet here can cook and sew better than they can!
Taking competition and aggressiveness away from boys at a young age isn't the right thing to do, just like not teaching decorum and femininity to girls wouldn't be right. Every kid chooses his/her own line to blur...
BDV

Old 04-07-2003, 09:34 AM
pbrstreetg
Senior User
How times have changed!

Chivalry is a good thing I agree, and no matter how many times media tells us it's dead, no matter how PC the TV gets, I don't think it's going to go away. I think it's funny how Hollywood's very small circle of rich executive producers claims to know the "pulse" and mindset of real America. I think it's safe to assume they think life imitates "art"(sic.). Whatever .

Don't be too worried about women in military service DailyDriver, although there are female combat aviators, there's still no women in combat arms (infantry, armor, artillery etc.) nor do they train with men who are.

Old 04-07-2003, 10:49 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
How times have changed!

My boy is starting soccer this year. He will turn 5 in a couple weeks.

The way the town teams are setup, is they are co-ed. Scores are kept for the older children (10+ I think). For the younger children, no scores are kept. However, these are more for recreation and exersize than anything else.

There is the option to play in a more competive league, and these are divided by gender and age. All scores are kept. However, these cost alot more to play in.

It gives everyone the option to do what they want. As for me, 5 years old it to young to be pushing sports yet.

As for the agressive behavior, I agree that people take that to far. If a kid thinks it is fun to play with toy guns and wrestle, so be it. As long as the parents teach them the responsibilitys about the gun, and nobody is getting hurt, who cares. They fall asleap faster at night.

As for women being equal, that can start a long debate. I would agree with Carlene when she says it "Teamwork". Women are not equal to men and Men are not equal to Women. If we were equal, there would be not need for either gender. If a woman wants to work to achive something than who am I to stop her. Same goes for a man. What is wrong is when a man or woman gets something because the are a Man or because they are a Woman.

As for treating women, I follow some advise my dad gave me, "Treat every woman the same way you would want your mother or wife treated". Then he usually followed up by saying if you don't, I will cuff you up the side of the head.

Just my ramblings

Old 04-07-2003, 12:23 PM
MatthewJ
Senior User
How times have changed!

Women everywhere should be equal to men in all things except the military. I just don't think they should be there. Not for reasons that they can't do it/handle it but b/c women give life. If all but 1 man dies in the world, then theoretically the human race can go on. But if all the women die there is no way for us to survive. Think about it, if there is a huge war all the men who go to fight should leave a deposit at a fertility clinic. Even if women do this, if there are no women left, who's going to carry the children? Not this boy I'll tell you that right now. Why should our mothers/sisters/daughters risk their necks so men can compare the size of their ...? Women are in the military to stay and that's ok, but, it should always be their choice. Don't draft women, that way life will still be ok.

BTW, I am 18 yrs old and could very well be in the big sand box right now, so I feel as if I should say something about the way the young soilders were taught. I played war and that kinda stuff as a kid, and my girlfriend's 6 year old brother does too. I was no taught to act like the girls, and neither is the 6 yr old. I don't know where your kids are going to school, but I have never heard any of that crap. And, the kiddie leagues around here keep score, have championships and everything. Do any of you guys who enjoying bitching about the "liberal" world even have kids or wives? Or do you just like to complain?

Old 04-07-2003, 01:53 PM
KJKozak2
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How times have changed!

The thought that males and females "learn" differently may be true. It's also true that only-child vs. 1 of several children learn differently. Or, girls with only brothers learn differently than girls with only sisters. Or, boys from a single-parent family vs. boys from a two-parent family. If you're going to segregate classrooms, why base it on sex alone when that's not the only determining factor of their learning abilities? Seems silly to me since co-ed classrooms have been working just fine for decades.

As for women in the military, combat or otherwise, why not? As a former Marine, I knew guys I wouldn't want within 100 miles of me if I were in combat. I've also known WMs (women Marines) that I would love to have backing me up. It's not about male or female, it's about ability. If they can hack it, let 'em.

The only draw back to women in the military is the male's perspective. I think we feel more of a need to protect women than men. In a combat environment, this could cause some problems as it might impair our judgement. Having never been in combat, I can't say that I've experienced it. However, like alot of people, I've had more of a problem dealing with the thought of female POWs that male POWs. I have great concern for both, but feel myself worrying more about the women.

As for equality, be it male/female, black/white or whatever, I'm all for it. As long as it is across the board. If women want the same benifits of being in the military as men, then they take the same risks. If the african-american community wishes to be considered equal and not discriminated against, get rid of the Miss Black USA pageant, Black Entertainment TV, and every other racist production out there.

If you want to be considered the same as everyone else, you damn well better perform the same. Don't expect special treatment because of your sex, race, or religeous belief.

A huge problem is, as I've said before, if you're a white male, you are now the minority and are being discriminated against more that any other sex or race.

Kevin K.

Old 04-07-2003, 03:08 PM
DailyDriver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How times have changed!

Ramble On!

Ummm....Perhaps I didn't convey my thoughts and ramblings in the way I thought they would be interpreted. Or maybe I worded things badly. Bad communication skills? Probably. When I said that "today women can join the military and be given guns and go off and fight a war"..., I can see how that can be interpreted as saying I'm against women in the military. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I know times are-a-changin'. But is it all for the good? I know women now days can do what was once considered to be a mans job. Heck, back in WW ll, women built a lot of the aircraft our men flew their combat missions in. Women were pipe fitters and built ships for the navy. Many women still do that sort of thing. No problem here. Which is why I said that in some respects, there is no such thing as a mans job or womans job anymore. However....

What I really wanted to get at was women in or close to combat situations. And if women ever get into the middle of all the bullets flying, is this better, worse or makes no difference for military prepardness because of what I think is the natural tendency for men to offer some protection of women in times of danger.

The feminist movement helped to get women up close to the fighting. If they have gone this far, what's the next step? They are still pushing for more "equality" in the military. Do women really want this? Is it a good thing just for the sake of equality and the movement? I believe there's more at stake. Suppose the feminists succeed in getting congress to allow women in combat units. Sure I know there are some tough women out there. A trained female Marine could probably kick my hind side, but that's not the point.

Ok, lets be honest with ouselves, really honest. Hyperthetical situation: A squad is pinned down taking many losses by heavy machine gun fire. The platoon leader says he needs someone to advance up the hill and take it out with a granade while the rest of the squad lays down cover fire. A women is the first to raise her hand.

Question: Do you think the squad leader would/should hesitate for a minute, hoping that another would raise their hand to go? If he does hesitate, do you think it would be because he thinks she's not up to the task or that he doesn't want to risk putting her in the line of fire? Suppose he grants her request, do you think any of the men would/should protest and volenteer to go in her place? What if you were that squad leader? What if you were part of her squad? What would you do? Be honest. Is there any men here would not feel a pang of apprehension about letting a woman go off into a dangerous situation as that? How would that play on a mans conscience? Would/should she resent the actions of her male comrads? So I ask the question, would this make our military more efficient or less efficient?

Two soldiers trying to evade capture hiding out in an old abandoned house. One male and one female. The emeny is approching. There's only enough room for one to hide out in a crawl space. Who do you think will most likely win the arguement about who gets the space? Or even one female in a group of soldiers. Do men want this equility in the military ranks the feminists are pushing for? Do you think men should accept it?

One person responded that he would rather have a U.S. female Marine covering his back than a French or Iraqi soldier. Ok, I can go along with that. I think everybody would. But lets take that statement for what it is. That's at your back as opposed to out in front. Am I putting too much into that? Men, given the choice if you were in the infantry, is there any men here who would rather have, or let a female soldier get out in front of them while advancing upon the enemy under heavy fire? Be honest. I think it's human nature for men to sheild women from danger, or at least give his best effort, given the chance or opportunity as I stated in my orginal post. But that's just me and that's why I stated that if it ever comes to that, it would in part, compromise our military efficiency.

When the ship goes down, it's still women and children first. Except the navy dosn't have children.

Make up your own senario.

OK! Let me Have IT!

Old 04-07-2003, 03:15 PM
rscritch
Senior User
How times have changed!

Have any of you seen some of the shows that are on tv today?

The majority of them don't have sexes, or are just really strange.
What ever happened to Fraggle Rock, Transformers, Mr. Roger's
(i know he passed away, but re runs?).
Sesame street ( before all of the political correctness happened), they were good shows.
It just seems to me that childrens shows today are trying to make every one a fruit cake.

Now, as far as the men and women roles go, I was raised the beginning part of my life where my father was the bread winner and my mom stayed home.
However, in the last 10 years those roles have some what shifted as my mom now is the main bread winner and my dad is not.
As long as i am able to, I will work my tail off so that my wife does not have to work and can stay home to cook and clean and be with any kids that we may have.
There has been a decline in values in this country and it has been proven that growing up in a home with a stay at home mom prevents some of the problems.
I'm not saying that you can't be a highly moral person without having had a stay at home mom.
There is just something different in a person whether they have been raised by single parents, gone through a divorce, basically anything other than a family where the dad works and the mom stayed at home up until around the time your 12 to 14.

I've received my fair share of butt chewings for these beliefs, but, I guess I'm old fashioned.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: How times have changed!