Print Wikipost

POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:09 AM
HOME WORKS
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem

My problem: the windows & radio will lose power occasionally. Usually for only a few minutes then will come back on by itself or by shutting off the vehicle and restarting it. I've tried all the tricks i.e. turning on the headlights, opening & closing the doors, replacing all relays in the fuse panel, checking fuses, etc. but the problem persists. I had the battery saver relay / instrument cluster changed about a year ago and all seems good there.
The most common time that the power goes out is during somewhat hard accelleration but also occasionally during normal/steady cruising. I have done all I can think of to track down this problem. The fact that it goes out primarily during accelleration leads me to believe it could be a bad connection somewhere, but where??? I have searched this forum and found a few related posts but no solutions to the problem, any ideas?

Vehicle Desc: 2003 EB Excursion, 6.0 2wd, 85,000miles, Banks Six Gun, MBRP 4" turbo back w/ cat. Zoodad mod, Autometer egt & boost gauges.
Thanks for any responses, David

Old 09-17-2011, 11:26 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Check your connection on the fuses/relays...the metal contacts and see if there's anything loose.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:58 PM
HOME WORKS
Junior User
Thanks but I've done that already, I've even replaced all of the relays with no change in the problem.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Mine does that too. I haven't been able to figure it out either, but may be the GEM. idk if the 6.0 has one but my 2002 does and it's like 400 bucks. I want to know for certain thats what it is before I try that.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 PM
JN3
7th Gear
Power windows & radio electrical problem.

I have the exact same problem with my 03. Replaced relays, verified fuzes, disconnected and checked electrical connectors, and the problem persists. Turning on the interior lights via the dimmer control for 2 - 3 seconds usually (80%) of the time restores radio and window control for me. I'm still looking for the cure. My wiring diagram manual has led me to the "Battery Saver Relay" which states non repairable and part of the instrument cluster assy. Still trying to locate it. I assume that it's buried at the top behind the dash where it's not easily accessable.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:45 PM
HOME WORKS
Junior User
JMATH. The GEM was also replaced at the same time as the batery saver relay.
JN3. The battery saver relay is part of the instrument cluster unit so to replace it requires replacing the entire guage cluster which I had done about a year ago.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM
HOME WORKS
Junior User
There's got to be someone out there that had this problem fixed.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 AM
HOME WORKS
Junior User
Just trying to keep this out there

Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 AM
VR6Nutt
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been shutting off the engine, removing the key, and pressing the lock button twice on the key fob. That usually resets it and I'm good to go for an undetermined while again.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 PM
UrbanXX
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 03 has done this very same thing with the radio abot 12-15 times and 2 times radio and windows. Each time it has quit after cleaning the battery cables. This seems to fix it for a while but I din't think its the problem that causes this to happen. Just plain weird.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
freesoul
Senior User
I believe its the ignition, mine does it as well on occasion and usually a little jiggling of the ignition or turning off and on again solves it.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 PM
HOME WORKS
Junior User
thanks to all for the interest so far, I was hoping someone who had this problem would have had it fixed and could tell the rest of us what it is.
I have to think in my case that it may be a loose connection somewhere since it does it mostly when I take off under hard acceleration, like from a stop sign or green light. Could the wiring harness to the engine contain wiring that also powers this circuit that flexes/moves and therefore losing power? Just a thought.
Anyway I'll try to keep post going for a while.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Mine does it mostly after start up, but will start to work again after I beat on the dash a time or two. Don't know if it's the same issue, but I haven't found anyone say for sure what it is. Seems their may be more than one cause for the like symptoms.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:08 AM
HOME WORKS
Junior User
to the front for the weekend crowd

Old 09-25-2011, 09:51 AM
JIMBOEX
New User
Mine will do it more in the summer at start up and if I hit the top of the dash once over the right side of the cluster it comes right on.I thought it was the battery saver relay in the cluster now I dont know what to fix.I hope you find the fix. jimboex

Quick Reply: POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem