Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM
New User

Gazoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power window and radio inop?

It is the accessory Delay Relay in the instrument cluster losing power due to a bad/cold soldier joint. This should have been a recall (my opinion), thousands of vehicles involved.

The esaiest/10 minute fix is to change the cluster. This also changes your milage to that of the cluster. I have had many superdutys. I have three bad clusters on the shelf and one good one with 178,000 on it.

Pull the radio, the dash bezel pops off, 4 screws on the cluster, unplug, repeat in reverse.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:59 PM
New User

monashee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
It is the accessory Delay Relay in the instrument cluster losing power due to a bad/cold soldier joint. This should have been a recall (my opinion), thousands of vehicles involved.

The esaiest/10 minute fix is to change the cluster. This also changes your milage to that of the cluster. I have had many superdutys. I have three bad clusters on the shelf and one good one with 178,000 on it.

Pull the radio, the dash bezel pops off, 4 screws on the cluster, unplug, repeat in reverse.

I thought in the 06 the relay was under steering column middle bottom row. This is the one that clicks when gauges etc etc drop. I am wondering what sends a signal to this relay to turn off? Some have replaced the cluster and not had their problem fixed. Im considering running a power to this relay through one of my upfitter switches so I can switch it on when it goes off.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 PM
New User

Gazoo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Windows, radio, reading & glove box lights inop

Sorry, I stand corrected. I was reading and commententing on several posts. I missed the fact that you were dealing with a 2006. My previous post is 100% correct for 1999-2004. I have not had the experience with later years. Did not mean to mislead.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:57 AM
New User

sleeand4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had this same window / radio issue on my 2003 limited. Disconnected plug on rear of dash instrument cluster, waited 2 minutes and plugged back in. Everything worked fine after that.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Freshman User

Larry Grimes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Radio and lights not working.

Remove relays and use dialectric grease on pins of relays.DC volts are sensitive to resistence.some of the metals they use for the pins and sockets are not the same type and causes chemical reaction.I even did all the fuses.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:44 AM
New User

jalowman is starting off with a positive reputation.
In need of help

I am new here and I dont know where to start. So here goes: on my 04 450 the wiring harness for the radio I have a constant hot and a switch hot. Well the switch hot is not hot. Checked the fuse and it dosent have power on it with the circurt tester i have it showes that the switch wire is ground when you turn on the switch. Cant afford to take it to local dealer ship here. Thank for any help.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Postmaster

jh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputationjh818 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalowman View Post
I am new here and I dont know where to start. So here goes my 04 450 the wiring harness for the radio I have a constant hot and a switch hot. Well the switch hot is not hot. Checked the fuse and it dosent have power on it with the circurt tester i have it showes that the switch wire is ground when you turn on the switch. Cant afford to take it to local dealer ship here. Thank for any help.
That is odd. Previous owner may have messed something up.

If you want to get your radio going, you could find a different switched hot wire (cigarette lighter for example) and splice into that.

Cut the switched hot wire on the radio harness. Take the end going to the radio and connect that to the cigarette lighter switched hot. Don't connect to end going into the dash or you will fry something out.

You will put a bit more load on the cigarette lighter circuit but it will get you going.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM
New User

JN3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have had this problem for years. I've pulled and reset connectors, replaced relays, swapped fuses, beat on the dash, and pulled the instrument cluster to get to the Battery Saver Relay (the problem). The Battery Saver Relay, (part of the instrument cluster) continues to fail intermittently in supplying power to the Accessory Delay Relay (in the fuse panel below the steering wheel). I finally ran an emergency bypass circuit to supply power to the ADR through a switch. I don't mind losing radio function but I have to be able to open and close the windows. I installed a fuse tap to the rear power outlet fuse and ran a wire to a switch that I installed in the panel below the headlight switch. This switch has a red LED that reminds me that I am in bypass mode. From the switch I ran a wire to the ADR pin 87. I pulled the cover off of the relay and made a small hole just large enough to pass the wire inside and soldered the wire to the base of pin 87. Snapped the cover back in place and zip tied the wires. Works great. I leave the switch "OFF" and let the normal system work, but if I need to operate the windows and the system is in failure mode, I turn "ON" the switch, operate the windows and turn the switch back "OFF". I would have posted pictures but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. :-drink
Old 04-07-2014, 05:19 PM
New User

JN3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem

Pics to accompany the above post by JN3

Library Slideshow by jnuncio3 | Photobucket
Old 04-12-2014, 03:44 PM
New User

ericl72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Additional thoughts

My truck, 2000 F350 7.3 deisel, is doing some similsr things. I have replaced the ignition switch and the accessory switch. The windows will work with the door oopen. This last time I messed with it, I took the GEM outcleaned all connections and since it seemd like a door problem I sprayd wd40 on all the lock areas. Now the drivers window went down and when I tried to raise it the GEM module makes a funny pulsating noise and the interior light flicker.
I think I need to replace the module.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 PM
New User

TMKIOWA21 is starting off with a positive reputation.
ick same issue with my 02 lariet. will try the tricks and see what happens. thanks all
Old 05-17-2014, 08:59 PM
New User

ericl72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I checked on the cost for a GEM module---about 650.00 dollars. I took my truck to a good NAPA dealer close by. He charged me 2 hours of diagnostic time and found out that it was a ground that needed to be cleaned. He didn't tell me where, but I assume under the dash somewhere. I would look for any and all grounds.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM
New User

cap_nut is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can you remove the cluster and still drive the vehicle "blind"? While the cluster is out for repair. Does this affect the odometer or is it just an indication so it will advance as driven? Thanks
Old 06-21-2014, 12:30 PM