Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been experiencing my windows and radio not working more often since the outside temperature has increased. I live in Maine and only experienced the problem a few times from November to May. Now that the days are getting warmer the problem is occurring more frequently. It really stinks to get into a 90 degree vehicle and not be able to roll down the windows. Is there anybody who experiences an increased frequency with this problem when the temperature increases? If so, what would cause this problem to occur more often when it's warm?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:12 PM
luxury
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 PM
HOME WORKS
Junior User
OK, good news is I got my instrument cluster back yesterday and installed. Only drove to the store and back (5 miles) but everything works. And only cost $235.00
Probably won't be driving it again until the weekend to really get to check it out but I'll let you know if all is good.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 AM
JIMBOEX
New User
Power window and radio problem

I just had my cluster repaired on thursday and everything is working great.The tech said there were some solder problems and he also replaced the power saver relay all for $200.00.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

What does it involve to remove the instrument cluster? I have this problem and have followed this thread but too lazy to look back to see where it is

Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Has anyone checked the ground in the wire loom ? It is on the drivers side behind the 2nd row seatbelt. When I pulled everything to put sound deadner in the truck, I did not hook it back up and had lost power to a great number of things.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by bgalaxy67
Has anyone checked the ground in the wire loom ? It is on the drivers side behind the 2nd row seatbelt. When I pulled everything to put sound deadner in the truck, I did not hook it back up and had lost power to a great number of things.

Grounds are normally a good place to start looking. Is this ground on the inside (center) of the truck by the latch, or is it by the pillar where the actual seat belt and its ratchet mechanism is? I'd like to check mine if its not a huge ordeal.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 PM
travs66
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBOEX
I just had my cluster repaired on thursday and everything is working great.The tech said there were some solder problems and he also replaced the power saver relay all for $200.00.
If it is just solder problems can the cluster be pulled and a heat gun used to "re-solder"? Much like can be done with the circuit board of a PS3.

Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 PM
bgalaxy67
Elder User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Grounds are normally a good place to start looking. Is this ground on the inside (center) of the truck by the latch, or is it by the pillar where the actual seat belt and its ratchet mechanism is? I'd like to check mine if its not a huge ordeal.
It's on the c pillar close to the 3rd row pocket. I happen to have my interior pulled right now, so i will snap a pic of it tonight.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 PM
shaferz
Senior User
Originally Posted by JIMBOEX
Can you post info on the shop that did this for you? I need the same fix!

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2012, 05:40 PM
nstubbert
Junior User
So you think this problem is due to a faulty ground? I am still experiencing problems with mine, but I have learned to live with it. If it is just a bad ground can you post some pictures on here for all of us to see where and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
It seems to be different causes for different people. I still haven't had the problem return with mine since I removed and played with the under dash relays (mainly the "delayed accessory relay").

Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 AM
nstubbert
Junior User
I removed all of the relays and cleaned them off and put them back and still the problem persists. I wish somebody could come up with a solution to this problem.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Gazoo
New User
Replaced everything but the cluster-no luck

I have an '03 with a 7.3. I have had the same problem for two years. I am leaning toward a delay relay in the cluster. I would like to hear back fron the two guys that changed thier clusters.

My problem, specifically, the windows, radio, map/reading lights (on sides, not dome) and the glove box light all stop working. Mine come back on whenever; from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. After two years there is no pattern and this has happened 500 times. Warm/cold, accel/decel, headlights on/off; no pattern can be detected.

All my grounds, that I can find, are clean and tight. The only strange/different thing with my truck is the battery light comes on and off recently and a volt meter shows 13.1v at idle. So, I am getting a false error message when the light is on.

There are 10,000 posts, on numerous sites, on this problem and I cannot believe nobody has a conclusive fix. I am going to change my cluster with a junkyard one and see if that works. I can do that for free (have one on the shelf)and in less than 30 minutes. I will let you know. My problem happens more than once a day.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 PM
nstubbert
Junior User
Please keep us posted on your progress with changing out the cluster. Can you take some photos and post them for all of us to see who aren't very mechanically inclined? Thanks

Quick Reply: POWER WINDOWS & RADIO electrical problem