Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Old 11-12-2014, 02:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Junior User

nstubbert is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just called Ford Garage

I just called my local Ford Service Center and told the service guy about the problems I am having and the problems that all of you are having and he said that he would start by making sure that all of the latest computer upgrades from Ford have been installed. Have any of you had that done? He seems to think that it is a computer related issue.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Maybe we need to update our virus software?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
Junior User

I just read this!

I just read this from another Ford Truck Enthusiast member who posted this in 2007 about the same problem with the windows and radio.

FIXED!!!

I finally got this bug fixed without spending $800 at the dealer. My problem was in the instrument cluster and the whole thing needed to be replaced according to the dealer. Instead I took the time to run down where the power needed to go and another source to get it from.

Here is the fix:

Run a jump wire from Pin 87 on Relay #02 (the delay relay) to pin 5 on Relay #203. Just look on the side of the relay and it will tell you what pin is what. Then I broke off the 87 pin on Relay #02 so if/when power did come in it would not matter.

Now I get stereo and power windows as soon as I turn the key, just like it should be, and with $800 in my pocket!

The problem is that I have no idea what he is talking about. I have asked him for some pictures. If any of you know what he is talking about and want to do the fix could you take some pictures of what you are doing along the way and post them? That would be a great help. Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
I am curious also if with that mod does the radio stay on after you switch off the key like it does stock or does it turn off instantly when the key is turned off? Maybe whatever relay that guy was talking about just needed to be replaced?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Junior User

He went on to mention that the only thing that you lose is when the key is in the on position and the truck is not started, you will not have power. The truck has to be turned on to have power.

Another person posted that they replaced the accessory delay relay and that fixed their problem. He also noticed that after he replaced the new relay all of the other relays were loose. He checked back in after a couple of months and still hadn't experienced any problems. Have you checked or replaced your relay?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Post Fiend

The delayed accessory relay is the one that I believe was/is causing my stuff to act up. I posted about that relay in this thread way back on my first or second post. It is in the fuse box down by the peddles. I didn't switch them around but after pulling it out and playing with it a bit the windows and radio started to work that time and I haven't had the problem since.

But someone posted one page back that they switched all their relays around and still have the problem.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Junior User

I saw that too in another posting that someone switched them all around and the problem was still there. I wonder if either cleaning the one there or replacing it is the answer....maybe by "switching" them around doesn't fix the problem for some unknown reason. Very strange. I will try to clean my relay and see if the problem goes away.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Post Fiend

Could be that more than one connection or relay can cause the problem. Thats why some have luck changing the delayed relay and others have luck messing the cluster stuff? I sure hope my problem was with the easy to get to delayed relay.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Senior User

fatherdano is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.fatherdano is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
follow the wire harness to the drivers side door mine had a fray(broken) ground wire.

had to take off the driver door panel.

no problems since.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Junior User

HOME WORKS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fatherdano,
Where on the wiring did you find the problem? I removed my dr. side panel to check the wiring & connections inside the door and all was like new.
2003 Eddie Bauer, 6.0 Banks Six Gun, MBRP 4" turbo-back with cat.,Zoodad air mod, Pillar mount AutoMeter Cobalt boost & egt gauges, Nitto NT420S 305/50R20 tires on 20x10 American Eagle 114's, matching tint front windows, 2005 grill, XM radio
Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdano View Post
follow the wire harness to the drivers side door mine had a fray(broken) ground wire.

had to take off the driver door panel.

no problems since.

Do you have a pic of the wire or can explain which wire or where exactly it frayed?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 AM
Freshman User

travs66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
inkd_uppp
same issues...

I've had this problem for some time as well. Seems that my issue also coincides with my battery light coming on. However I've had my batteries and alternator tested and all is well. I've replaced the relay with a new one and that didn't fix the issue either. I've just about given up trying to figure out what the issue is.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by travs66 View Post
I've had this problem for some time as well. Seems that my issue also coincides with my battery light coming on. However I've had my batteries and alternator tested and all is well. I've replaced the relay with a new one and that didn't fix the issue either. I've just about given up trying to figure out what the issue is.

Sounds like you could have a bad connection at the starter relay on the fenderwell. I would check the connection for the wires that send power to the truck/fuse boxes.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Freshman User

travs66 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
inkd_uppp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Sounds like you could have a bad connection at the starter relay on the fenderwell. I would check the connection for the wires that send power to the truck/fuse boxes.
Thanks for the heads up, I will check that thanks.

Stevens Point huh? I stayed there on my way back from a trip to Medford to the Hurd facility. Both of my parents live in WI as well.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Junior User

HOME WORKS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Time for an update on my problem, shipped the instrument cluster to the repair shop.
After explaining the symptoms to the tech he said they see a lot of the same problems and said most are caused from loose solder connections.
They recieved the cluster on Friday (6/8) and said repairs will be completed on Monday and then shipped to me.
When I get it back and if all is good I'll do a follow up with the name of the business. And by the way, their price quote is less than half what my local Ford dealer charges.
2003 Eddie Bauer, 6.0 Banks Six Gun, MBRP 4" turbo-back with cat.,Zoodad air mod, Pillar mount AutoMeter Cobalt boost & egt gauges, Nitto NT420S 305/50R20 tires on 20x10 American Eagle 114's, matching tint front windows, 2005 grill, XM radio
Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 PM