Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Junior User

nstubbert is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hitting?

If hitting the dash above the radio seems to restore power to the radio and windows it would only make sense that there is something loose in there. But you have taken everything apart and you haven't found anything loose. It doesn't seem to make any sense to me whatsoever. Hopefully you can find the answer. I am not going to be nearly as industrious as you. I have no plans to take apart the instrument panel...haha. Please keep me posted as to what you find. Thanks, Nate
Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Posting Guru

UrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputation
This may sound crazy and if you think so, I'm inclined to agree ! My 2003 did this 3 times in one week. If you hit the dash and it seems to fix it instead of connecting a bad connection it may cause a monmentary bad connection as you hit the dash. Then the connection will reconnect giving the system a restart to bring voltage to the module or relay.. I seem to have repaired my simply by disconnecting the battery and reconnectioning it. I am at the opinion that if you have a kinda week battery it also can cause this. There has got to be a module or relay that needs full voltage to "kick in" in this system.

Not to disagree with any prior post at all and every one is good.

But sometimes one must look outside the box.

My suggestion is get the battery checked and at least elimate it. This weird problem seems to pop up from time to time and has for the last few years. Weak batteries and dirty battery cable connections has also poped up on this problem but have never been an absolute source of the problem although it has solved some we seem to think.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Junior User

HOME WORKS is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey URBAN, thanks for the input. My batteries are less than a year old with clean as new & tight connections. When the vehicle is sitting still & running and the problem is happening then all of a sudden I will hear the power window relay in the fuse panel click then the power to the windows & radio will come back on. I don't think it's the that relay that is defective but whatever feeds power to that relay. On the 2003 excursions the battery saver relay is part of the instrument cluster but I don't think that's the problem since it's only the radio & all power windows including the back side vents that are affected. Upon removing the instrument cluster to examine it I could not see anything that looked like a problem but then I also have no idea what the battery saver relay should even look like. I have tried every trick there is ie. opening / closing the door, turning on the lights, wiggleing the key etc. and so far the only thing that seems to have any affect is whacking the front of the instrument cluster or the top of the dash above it but even that only works sometimes.
2003 Eddie Bauer, 6.0 Banks Six Gun, MBRP 4" turbo-back with cat.,Zoodad air mod, Pillar mount AutoMeter Cobalt boost & egt gauges, Nitto NT420S 305/50R20 tires on 20x10 American Eagle 114's, matching tint front windows, 2005 grill, XM radio
Old 03-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Junior User

If it's any help to try to diagnose the problem, my problem has occurred when I am just sitting still. The other day I was parked in the driveway with the X running. I shut it off and then started it back up about a minute later and the radio and windows weren't working. Then after driving for about 5 minutes they came back on. That is the second time it has happened like that so I have absolutely no idea what is causing the loss of power to the windows and the radio. I figure the more information we gather on this from other people who are having the same problem, we might be able to figure out what is causing the problem. Let's keep this going until we find a solution.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior User

AzSuperDuty has a good reputation on FTE.AzSuperDuty has a good reputation on FTE.AzSuperDuty has a good reputation on FTE.
When this happens is it possible to get a test lamp or meter on the relay to verify whether there is power to the relay?

( I have NO idea where the relay is)
2005 6.0 Excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer
White with Beige trim
Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Posting Guru

UrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputationUrbanXX has a superb reputation
I was just thinking the same thing today. But a test lamp would not be the best way to test it. One would actually need to get a true voltage reading.

The fist time I ever run into low voltage relays not working on 12 Volts was the 60's models Chrysler Search Tune radios. The radios would work and play well on a 12 Volt power supply, but the search tune feature would mnot work until the voltage was a little over 13 volts. On many automotive factory accessories that are relay driven 12 volts will not kick the relay in. Now this is loaded volts not unloaded volts. One for example is the Rear Window Electric Defroster relay.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzSuperDuty View Post
When this happens is it possible to get a test lamp or meter on the relay to verify whether there is power to the relay?

( I have NO idea where the relay is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
What fixed it this time for me was wiggling/pulling and reinstalling the "delayed accessory" relay. But at the same time I shut the drivers side door (for the second time). So I am hoping it is something with the relay and not me shutting the door shaking a wire somewhere in the truck.

The delayed acc. relay I was playing with is in the fuse box down by the peddles.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Junior User

AZ, I like your idea of testing for power at the relay, my electrician son probably has a tester that will read how much power is there.
Snowseeker, I have the same results sometimes when closing the door also, I even removed the door panel to check for wiring problems but all was good. I think it was just from the vibration of closing the door makes it come back on, simular to whacking the dash.
2003 Eddie Bauer, 6.0 Banks Six Gun, MBRP 4" turbo-back with cat.,Zoodad air mod, Pillar mount AutoMeter Cobalt boost & egt gauges, Nitto NT420S 305/50R20 tires on 20x10 American Eagle 114's, matching tint front windows, 2005 grill, XM radio
Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Thats what I am thinking, because the drivers door is so close and actually there is a cross beam bolted to the pillar right in between the door hinges that the fuse box also bolts to. I am thinking it is a dieing or sticking acc. relay.

For those of you that have this problem quite often it would be interesting if you would switch the (delayed accessory relay) with one of the other relays next to it in the box and see if the problem goes away.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Junior User

I changed all relays in the fuse panel with no changes to the problem
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Senior User

AzSuperDuty has a good reputation on FTE.AzSuperDuty has a good reputation on FTE.AzSuperDuty has a good reputation on FTE.
Well.... it appears I may have joined this club.

Only owned my X for a couple of weeks and have driven it very little.

The CD player doesn't work in the Radio and I've been busy trying to swap one in that works.

Tonite I plugged in my original radio... and voila ... windows won't work.

My battery was low so the truck wouldn't start... so have the charger on it right now. Will report back when I get them working again.
White with Beige trim
Old 03-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Senior User

Got the battery charged up so the truck would start... and no further problems...
White with Beige trim
Old 03-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Junior User

It happened again

I got into my X after going grocery shopping on a rare 75 degree day here in Maine and windows and radio don't work. I tried pounding on the top of the dashboard and still nothing. I drove it maybe a half mile and came to a stop light. I shut the truck off and started it back up and I had radio and power windows!! Maybe it's a glitch in the ignition??
Old 03-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Junior User

It sure seems that this problem is more common than I thought. Does anyone on here have access to someone at FORD who knows the answer?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
is a BAAAD MAN

Jmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputation
Mine has still been doing it. It will happen 2-3 times in a week and then won't do it for a month. Most of the time it happens it is a few seconds after starting it.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Tags
2003, 60, dash, diesel, electrical, electronics, excursion, ford, interior, lights, power, problem, radio, start, trans, windows, working