6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

fords new commercials - bashing the bailout

Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 AM
blue oval fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fords new commercials - bashing the bailout

didnt hear anything about these new commercials until watching the news this morning, so i got on youtube and watched them. they were asking people if they thought these commercials were a good idea or not, what do you guys think?

Ford Drive One "Press Conference: Chris" Commerical - YouTube

Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Wow...that is a terribly misleading commerical!

Originally Posted by commercial
I was going to buy from a manufacturer that's standing on their own, win, lose, or draw...Ford is that company.
He says that like Ford's CEO wasn't in Washington at the same time as GM and Chrysler were...begging for a line of credit from the US government should they need it. They sold shares of Mazda and therefore didn't require government assistance. But believe me, they would have used government funds if they had to.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:08 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On the other hand, the history of Henry ford and thomas Edison, including the inception of firestone, is fascinating. Ford may be the only manufacturer left that is not owned overseas from these early engineering pioneers.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:55 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,445 Likes on 891 Posts
This video is rehearsed and I'm not buying this guys story. Ford is in major debt to it's creditors and has paid ~ 50% of it (which is good), but if I was Ford I wouldn't be scheduling the parade just yet!

I would say this type of advertising is too risky with the amount of debt Ford has and could backfire.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:58 PM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
First thing is...

Me...Me...Me... pick me....I'll do the Super Duty interview!!

I don't think they told those people what to say....there are a couple other "interview" commercials and none of them bash the bail out companies....

Just waiting for my Super Duty Interview phone call here......

Old 09-17-2011, 02:50 PM
RickF350
Senior User
Love it!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
At the end of the day, Ford did not need to be bailed out.
What I don't understand is the Dodge commercials. Guts, glory, rama lama ding dong....really, that's all they can come up with?

Old 09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
What else do you have with the Dodge? They've already played out the engine...and its really last in performance.

I think once the Cummins gets the SCR technology, the truck is going to be a lot more competitive.

Ford didn't take bail out money, but I bet my truck's pink slip they would have if the numbers required it. That being said, they didn't and that is what matters.

I would like Ford to highlight just how much attention they are putting into making higher quality products. They are getting close to competing with the Japanese when it comes to their cars. If they can keep it up, they will make people forget the Ford of the 90s.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:18 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
At the end of the day, Ford did not need to be bailed out.
What I don't understand is the Dodge commercials. Guts, glory, rama lama ding dong....really, that's all they can come up with?
Ram Trucks Guts Glory Commercial - Standoff | DCH Chrysler Jeep Dodge of Temecula - YouTube

Sounds pretty convincing to me!

BTW... The amount of $$$ Ford had to borrow to stay afloat is nothing much to have a parade about as well... Much of this story could be spinned on Fords bad management as well!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:20 PM
MNDiesel2
Senior User
Still waiting for my interview call.....

Guess, I'll go put on a few more mods on the truck while I'm waiting....got have it looking good for the interview!

Ouch...sounds like Dodge is making pun of the 6.4 and 6.0 diesels on that one.......

Old 09-17-2011, 03:24 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I would like Ford to highlight just how much attention they are putting into making higher quality products. They are getting close to competing with the Japanese when it comes to their cars. If they can keep it up, they will make people forget the Ford of the 90s.
In my opionion Ford takes too long to correct problems and Ford handed the car market to the Japanese years ago and has alot of catching up.

MyFordTouch has been a disaster with the release of the '11 Edge and what did they do? Put it in the Explorer as well!

Old 09-17-2011, 03:31 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MNDiesel2

Ouch...sounds like Dodge is making pun of the 6.4 and 6.0 diesels on that one.......
Actually Dodge is calling Ford out on their 6.7 psd! Ford actually called out themselves with the 6.0 and 6.4 when they released the 6.7 saying "If you want to do it right, you got to do it yourself".

With Fords 6.0 and 6.4 you never heard the competition calling Ford out. I wonder why....

Old 09-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
But believe me, they would have used government funds if they had to.

Woulda, coulda but the did not. One reason why I made the switch

Old 09-17-2011, 08:20 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

If I remember correctly, I believe Ford had problems and a major restructuring a couple of years earlier, putting Ford in a better position with its troubles already in the process of being worked out when the financial crisis hit.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 PM
huntindog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sgt93
Woulda, coulda but the did not. One reason why I made the switch
It was pure luck on Fords part. They had lines of credit lined up before the financial collapse.
It can be looked at two ways.

1. Ford had a crystal ball and saw what was coming and prepared for it.

2. Ford had no idea that a financial collapse was coming, but figuered that they were going to need a lot of credit in spite of the good times.

At any rate, I wouldn't crow too loud. Ford may well end up in the same boat someday. Then what will you buy?

Personally, I was against all of the carmaker bailouts. Even the first one to Chrysler (never mind that it in retrospect did OK) I think that these companies would ultimatly survive anyway.
But I won't let that affect my decision on such a major purchase.
My hard earned dollars will go to whoever I feel is putting out the best product and value.
Some feel that GM is able to do some things because of the taxpayers contribution giving them an advantage. Perhaps it is true. If it is, then I would be a fool to turn my back on a product that I have already made a investment (taxes) in. To all those that feel this way. I thank you for helping pay for my truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fords new commercials - bashing the bailout