1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Is there any window regulator that will work?

Old 09-17-2011, 05:09 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by NtShade
It's not that I am trying to be frugal, I am 57 years old not a dumb person and I am not working, I don't have money to go get, I am raising my grandson and can't work atm. So I was just ASKING if there was another regulator that would work.

I guess I will just stop posting.
Which side do you need? I may have an extra....for cheap.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:02 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 606 Likes on 377 Posts
All you need is the spring, right? Why not try to find a spring in another regulator that will work, instead of replacing the whole regulator?

Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 PM
NtShade
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the post is broken on one also that the handle goes on

Old 09-18-2011, 01:06 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am a bit confused as to what you need. I have several parts that may work for you. I may have a broken regulator that you can have to try and repair yours. Can you post a picture of what you need?

Old 09-18-2011, 10:58 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
The same regulator fits all 1948/52 trucks, but nothing else is the same from any vehicle.

You're going to be wasting time, labor and money driving around visiting myriad junkyards, taking door panels apart to see if a regulator from another vehicle will work. There isn't one, so don't bother looking.

IMO, if you cannot afford to pay $75.00 for a new regulator, you cannot afford an old vehicle...all of which are money pits.
I'm 10 years older than you are, owned 337 vehicles since 1956, have years of experience working on them and stacks of reference material, so I 'know the score.'
Bill, while I agree with your second statement, and I agree with Marty, that looking around for a suitable replacement from another vehicle or trying to build something that has already has been built is a waste of time I strongly take exception to your "IMO" statement. Not every one can afford to dump loads of money into their old vehicle. Not every one has a "garagemahal" to work on their vehicles but that doesn't mean with a little ingenuity and extra work they cannot afford an old car. They don't need a points winning vehicle just something to tool around in. Many people, I include myself, don't have great resources of money, or time, but still enjoy the old car hobby. I finance mine doing a fair amount of horse trading, buying old beaters for $200-500, taking parts I need and parting out and scrapping the rest. Sure, if I was to tally up the time I spent going to get the parts vehicles, gas, tearing them apart and selling the extra parts I'd be making less than $5 an hour but that's what I have to do to get the parts I need.

On my latest project, a '37 Buick, I was somewhat shell shocked to find that the parts for that car are 3-4 times the cost as for the comparable parts for our old trucks. I've found the Buick guys are a lot less forgiving than most of Ford truck guys when it comes to using non-Buick specific parts in their cars. I've also found they either have a lot deeper pockets than me or they're willing to wait 25 years to enjoy their cars just because they are waiting for that one elusive OEM nut that holds on some part no one will ever see. You commented on this a few weeks ago when I posted about it. With this project I have rebuilt many parts, completely built parts using rusty originals as patterns and used new parts from more modern cars that were 1/3 the price. I know most of these items wouldn't pass a points judging but at least I hope to have my car on the road and enjoy it before I shipped off to a nursing home.

Many times some one will post a question on how to do this or that with their trucks and there are a few members who will jump in and tell the poster he or she needs to buy the latest high end tools. I feel there are many, many members who barely can afford the basic tools they may have, little alone be able to throw $100-300 on a tool they will only use once. I would bet there is a good number of members who don't even have a garage to work on their trucks, just a gravel pad outside their house. This doesn't mean they shouldn't be enjoying an old truck. I try to post responses using my own experience using what resources I have on hand.

I myself am in the middle of the gravel pad guys and the garagemahal guys. I've been working on my trucks for over 30 years, starting with a beat up, rusted out hulk of a '49 F-2 my dad gave me. It was his work truck and I spent a lot of time with him in it when I was a kid. I spent way too much time restoring it but the value of it to me is priceless. I rebuilt many parts of the truck because I could not afford to buy new or even used replacement parts. Parts like the box and rear fenders were junk but I still patched them together. I did a lot of the work in the beginning in the open on a gravel driveway. Later I was able to figure out ways to wheel and deal to get other parts I needed. Now I have a couple of enclosed areas, one with heat, I can use to work on my projects. I still don't have a huge of assortment of specialty tools. I have basic had tools along with pieces of pipe, chucks of angle iron and any other odd ball piece I have laying around I can use to work on my vehicles. Even thought when I step back and look at my small fleet I think that I can't afford them but I've did 99.9% of the work on them myself and have been able to keep the cost very low. What I didn't know how to do I found out how to do it and did it on the cheap without sacrificing quality or safety.

Sounds to me that NtShade is having a little hard time right now with having to raise his grandson. I can only imagine he doesn't have a lot of money or extra time. Also seeing that he's in Texas maybe the climate allows him to use his old truck as his daily driver, I don't know. Maybe this is his only source of transportation, again, I don't know. If it is that makes it all the more important that he keep it safely operating. Also, maybe like me, this might be his only form of recreation. I don't drink alcohol, do drugs, belong to any sports leagues or blow my money on the ponies. The little spare money I have I try to use for my trucks. Also, think about it, maybe his truck is a bonding tool between him and his grandson. That right there adds value to the truck for him. Value that can't be measured in dollars.

Before anyone gives the guy a hard time maybe we all should try to help him out. No has been able to clarify exactly what part he's referring to. Maybe some one can post a picture or a drawing that would help. NtShade if you're still with us take a look at the drawing below and try to describe what part you're having a problem with. I wish I was closer I'd come over and help out with some free welding, I'm sure that's all that's needed along with a new spring, which are fairly easy to find at swap meets or even on eBay. Please don't shy away from posting, I've seen a lot less worthy posts than yours. FTE is a great resource for information on our trucks and it would be a shame for you to walk away from it. The HAMB is also a great source for finding alternative parts to use in place of stock parts but be prepared if you haven't been there already. The HAMB is a lot larger board than FTE and there are a lot jerks over there because of the size but if you can wade through the BS it's a great resource with many more smart, creative people than idiots.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:58 AM
NtShade
Senior User
The springs on both broke and the post on one. I am not sure how to replace the post since it is riveted. It's the post the handle goes on.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:10 AM
NtShade
Senior User
I am female. I redid a '49 Ford F1 years ago. And yes I am doing this one for a daily driver and for my grandson who thinks it's mater. I do not have a garage I live on 10 acres and the truck is on my back yard. I have mechanic tools. Thank you Bob. I do believe there are serveral ways to do something. Math teachers may argue with that, but this is not math or rocket science. It's being able to make things work that are far beyond wanting to work due to age.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:34 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NtShade, I don't know how to help you with your regulator problem, but I want to encourage you to keep asking for help. Don't let the purist snobs discourage you. There are plenty of folks like bobj49f2 who will step up with advice.

To the snobs out there, maybe you should consider what bobj49f2 said, not everyone can afford a new replacement part as soon as something breaks. That doesn't mean they are building another rat truck, it just means they have an old truck and want to keep driving it. I seriously doubt anyone has even seen every window regulator ever made, which means you can't say with certainty that nothing will substitute. Maybe if you can't answer the original question you should just not post a response even if you are a bigshot poster.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:03 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
NtShade, you need regulators for both doors, correct? PM or email me your address and I mail you a pair.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:42 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 606 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy
NtShade, I don't know how to help you with your regulator problem, but I want to encourage you to keep asking for help. Don't let the purist snobs discourage you. There are plenty of folks like bobj49f2 who will step up with advice.

To the snobs out there, maybe you should consider what bobj49f2said, not everyone can afford a new replacement part as soon as something breaks. That doesn't mean they are building another rat truck, it just means they have an old truck and want to keep driving it. I seriously doubt anyone has even seen every window regulator ever made, which means you can't say with certainty that nothing will substitute. Maybe if you can't answer the original question you should just not post a response even if you are a bigshot poster.
How nice of you to assume anyone who doesn't agree with your position is a "snob".

People come on here for advice. Some of the responses given are from people with 30+ years experience on these specific old trucks (not late-model trucks). If the OP doesn't like the answers they get, that doesn't make the advice invalid or "snobbish".

Old 09-18-2011, 01:52 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Come on guys, this isn't the HAMB. We're all family here. All I wanted to express in my post is we should all try to help try to consider the circumstances. It seems NtShade is just seeking some advise and trying to same a buck, which all of try to do. Some have to try harder than others and we should all realize that.

Now if NtShade was really some smelly, doesn't know the inside of a shower, 20 something hippie who is getting disability payments because of anxiety attacks, and who wants to travel the country on other people's buck then I might have a little something else to say about the situation.

One more thing:

Originally Posted by NtShade
I am female.
Am I not correct, but isn't there a forum rule, I think rule #11, as of the first of the year if you're claiming to be girl you have to submit a picture and a DNA sample? TEE-HEE

Old 09-18-2011, 01:57 PM
NtShade
Senior User
Okay I will have daughter take a pic of my by the truck

And I will put in the gallary I may have the grandson with me too.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:02 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
That's OK, we just need varification that you are who you say you are. We've been duped before by a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Also, we like to look at pictures of girls. Hey, we're guys.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:17 PM
NtShade
Senior User
LOL I understand. I have been almost scammed on Craigslist, I know there are some bad people in the world. Maybe I will take one of my daughter by the truck, she is pretty.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
How about a pic of each one next to the truck... We love seeing lots of pics of women and trucks (Grandkids, Grandparents can never have to many pics)! LOL...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is there any window regulator that will work?