Sponsored by:

Fixed my OD switch SHORT

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:29 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info!

This should be in the "Fix It" folder! HELLO!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by jdw1
This should be in the "Fix It" folder! HELLO!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11373725

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Creating all new tech folder thread to update the old one and add new information.

If you have a suggestion for an addition to this thread, please contact the Excursion forum moderator and it will be considered.

Stewart
Huh, I think you're saying this should be added, yes? I'm having difficulty hearing you over your sarcasm because it's so loud!

Us moderators don't read every single thread ya know. In fact, that's why I have that above quoted statement in the tech folder!

Next time, just drop a PM...sans sarcasm!

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 04-08-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:09 PM
bflora
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumping due to it happening to me!

Dang it, if I only saw this sooner! This very issue just occurred to me today (while filing up with fuel), and while I was stranded / sitting there with-out a clue what was going on (truck would run / start with no issue but no dashboard action or accelerator response).

Tow truck picked me up, and by the time we got to the dealer, I found the issue on this forum via my cell. I then was able to give a much better explanation to the tech regarding what to look for - unfortunately, they still have my truck since I'm relying on them to fix

Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bflora
Dang it, if I only saw this sooner! This very issue just occurred to me today (while filing up with fuel), and while I was stranded / sitting there with-out a clue what was going on (truck would run / start with no issue but no dashboard action or accelerator response). Tow truck picked me up, and by the time we got to the dealer, I found the issue on this forum via my cell. I then was able to give a much better explanation to the tech regarding what to look for - unfortunately, they still have my truck since I'm relying on them to fix
A new fuse woulda gotcha home

Old 04-08-2014, 02:38 PM
enormiss
Senior User
My OD light came on several days ago, found this

Was only one wire but was almost all the way thru
Cut that one and soldered back together and wrapped in elect tape

Old 11-24-2014, 08:35 PM
ssolid
Senior User
Fuse #19

Do this fix before it happens....

Wife called me from town this weekend and said the Ex was dead. Cranked but no start and all the panel lights where out except the battery light. The computer read 0 miles to empty even though it had 1/2 tank.

Apparently the overdrive had shorted out and blew a 10 Amp fuse #19 under the steering column.

Amazing that a simple little fuse can bring the beast to its knees!

Hopes this helps and thanks for the write-up.

ssolid

Old 12-09-2014, 10:14 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
I'll be doing this to my truck real soon.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Kurtis MacKeige
New User
Hey guys,
I was replacing fuses for my gauges and odometer dying and figured it was probably the short in the overdrive wire. However recently, the gauges all died and I went to change the fuse and it wasn't blown leading me to believe the short in the OD wires was completely through the wire. So then I changed he shift lever out and my gauges still aren't coming on, any ideas as to what I blew when my fuse didn't blow???
Any help is much appreciated!
Thank you!

Old 06-15-2019, 11:47 PM
JohnCrisford
New User
Thank you for the redirect!

[QUOTE]
Diagnosis is spot on. This is definitely a design flaw.
Thanks so much! A great find, and the price is perfect.
I've looked for a replacement for.the whole harness, but by 2019 these things are hard to find, so I'm going in with the repair option.
Curious about maybe just relocating that switch elsewhere (the dash) to get that wire harness away from the repetitive motion of the shifter. If so, I'll update.

Last edited by JohnCrisford; 06-24-2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-07-2020, 03:56 PM
2002Ex
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Ex V10 with the same issue. The overdrive light would flicker sometimes, or say OD was off when it was on. I could slightly lift the shifter and the light would go off. Here's how bad mine was. Smooth wear right through the jacket. Don't wait if you have this problem! It only took 15 minutes.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:12 PM
Donald Watson
New User
LIMP MODE

Just wondering if this would fix my problem with being stuck in one gear when I put the truck in drive maybe a short in the OD wires causing limp mode on transmission???

Old 11-07-2020, 08:00 PM
2002Ex
Tuned
Originally Posted by Donald Watson
Just wondering if this would fix my problem with being stuck in one gear when I put the truck in drive maybe a short in the OD wires causing limp mode on transmission???
Hey, anything is possible with these trucks. I would definitely check out yours just to be sure it is not the problem. Only takes a few minutes to verify.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:53 AM
2002Ex
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2002Ex
2002 Ex V10 with the same issue. The overdrive light would flicker sometimes, or say OD was off when it was on. I could slightly lift the shifter and the light would go off. Here's how bad mine was. Smooth wear right through the jacket. Don't wait if you have this problem! It only took 15 minutes.

It's been several days now and this has fixed all the OD light problems. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2022, 04:16 PM
Tface
2nd Gear
Question shift lever boot

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Finally made time to fix this pesky little problem. I will echo the scores of X and Super Duty owners who have said repeatedly over the years to FIX this BEFORE the wires get chaffed enough to short... I didn't listen even though I knew about this when I bought the X and waited for it to fail .

The problem:

The wires for OD switch travel thru the shift lever and after exiting they cross over the top of the column and plug into the wiring harness. Since these wires need to allow the shifter to move as well as the steering wheel to tilt - the wires also move when these things are moved. As the wires move back and forth this 1/4", they eventually wear thru the insulation and expose the wires. Initially, my OD lite would come on for no reason and eventually I was blowing fuses when shifting or using OD switch. As far as I can tell, THIS WILL HAPPEN TO EVERY ONE OF THESE TRUCKS - eventually. Seriously, its an EASY fix if ya do it NOW - it takes 20min, a phillips screwdriver and some tape!

First, remove the (3) screws that hold the plastic trim around shifter. Unscrew the tilt steering lever and remove lower plastic piece. With ignition in 'on' position, press the little shiny ball on the bottom of key cylinder and remove the cylinder.
Attachment 202621

Now you can slip the upper plastic over the shift lever and get it out of the way.
Attachment 202622

Since I'm a dum redneck and waited until I had a problem, mine was worn completely thru one of the wires. I was trying to strip it back and repair it in place and pulled the other 2 wires apart where they were crimped at the hold-down thingy attached to this black trim piece.
Attachment 202623

If I was smarter, I would have just unplugged the wire from harness and removed the pin in my hand and slipped the shifter lever, wire and black thing off so I could take the whole thing out where I could get to it... Don't try to slide that black piece off the shifter, its too big and will tear. This one was already torn and fugly - anyone got a part # for it?? I'd like to replace this one.
try lmctruck.com